Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

Unread 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

I had an abdominal full hysterectomy 1/26/16. Since then my skin from above my incision to just below my belly button has been sensitive. There's a little bit of numbness but my doctor said that's to be expected. The sensitivity is a little better, but not completely. Anything that rubs against my skin (ie: clothes) grates on my nerves. I had been wearing an abdominal support/binder for the support but now I have to wear it because of my skin issue. I'm trying to think of an alternative because it's getting warm and these binders are hot! Not bad in the winter, but bad if I go for a walk or spend time outside.

Any suggestions on something else I can wear in place of the binder or on something else I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Re: Sensitive Skin - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

I know it's not the prettiest of undies but what about high waisted control panties. Supports and shapes.
Unread 05-04-2016, 11:19 PM

My skin has always been sensative, plus post op, I had an allergic reaction to the surgical tape used on my abdomin..I wore a tank top then ab binder over the tank top. Another tshirt or top over it. It also makes it easy to remove binder when Id want it off. I agree w Jenniferdickers about control panties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
My skin has always been sensative, plus post op, I had an allergic reaction to the surgical tape used on my abdomin..I wore a tank top then ab binder over the tank top. Another tshirt or top over it. It also makes it easy to remove binder when Id want it off. I agree w Jenniferdickers about control panties.
Jenniferdickers and LailaStar - thank you! I initially had a reaction to the product my doctor used to clean my abdominal area prior to making the incision, but I realize now it's just nerves. I did a little bit of research including sensitive skin after a c-section and plenty of people have this issue. What I found was that most said it gets better over time but had NO suggestions on what to do in the meantime! I'm okay with my undies not being pretty if it means being able to wean off the binder/support. I'm going to try the control panties. Thank you!
Unread 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

I always wear a cotton tank top tucked into the undies. Even the elastic on the undies irritated my skin. The cotton helped make the binder less uncomfortable. I am 5 weeks post op. I hope you find something that helps.
Unread 05-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Re: Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

I am so glad I am not the only one.

I am 3 weeks post op and I am goimg crazy. I can barely touch my belly, my clothes irritate me so much. What is wrong? Should I be worried?
Unread 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM

I've been told it's because of the nerves being cut and should get better. At first I couldn't stand anything brushing or moving against my skin but it is a "little" better. I have found that using an abdominal support/binder made a huge difference. Found it easier to get up and move around. I'm just over 3 months now and I am going to try control panties so I can hopefully wean myself off of the support/binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkruger View Post

I am 3 weeks post op and I am goimg crazy. I can barely touch my belly, my clothes irritate me so much. What is wrong? Should I be worried?
Unread 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Re: Sensitive Skin after hysterectomy - wearing binder as it's difficult to wear clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkruger View Post

Hi! I wanted to give everyone an update on what I've tried and how I'm doing with the sensitive skin. I'm 14 weeks post op. I do feel that it's not as sensitive as say week 2 or 3. There has been "some" improvement. From approximately week 2 I used a binder/abdominal support (check with your doctor first!) which helped with pain in general, skin sensitivity and being able to get up and move around. But it's getting hot outside and so is wearing the binder. There are two things that I've tried and work, although I'm not completely pain free. I'm still careful in how I sit and wear loose clothing for comfort. Here is what's working for me:
1. Control Panties - I bought two different types from Walmart - less expensive and more expensive (approx $4 and $8). The more expensive is better (for me). It may just be the sizing. The more expensive pair has a better fit - they come up a little higher. I did buy a pair larger than I thought I would need with both panties and glad I did.
2. Tucking a long t-shirt or tank top into my regular underwear. By long I mean one that comes down to my pubic bone.

I am accepting this may or may not be something I have to put up with for a while (from what I've read some women always have this issue after a hysterectomy and some do not).
Unread 05-10-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esth View Post
Jenniferdickers and LailaStar - thank you! I initially had a reaction to the product my doctor used to clean my abdominal area prior to making the incision, but I realize now it's just nerves. I did a little bit of research including sensitive skin after a c-section and plenty of people have this issue. What I found was that most said it gets better over time but had NO suggestions on what to do in the meantime! I'm okay with my undies not being pretty if it means being able to wean off the binder/support. I'm going to try the control panties. Thank you!
I had an allergic reaction to the surgical tape that was used, it was a rash, itchy & all over my abdomin..My nurse said the only thing would be to take benedryl. Uh, I dont do well with benedryl. It knocks me out! I had this stucky residue all over my abdomin & sides that i kept working to take off & cleanse area. I applied Benedryl topical & it went away in a few days.
Unread 05-10-2016, 05:38 AM

:Thanks for the tip on control panties at Walmart. Im going to give that a try.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register