Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post hysterectomy Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post hysterectomy

Unread 06-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post hysterectomy

I am 2 months post op and still having pain in my pelvic area as well as my abdomin, at times it is stabbing pain and then will be just uncomfortable pain. I have a difficult time standing for any period of time without feeling nausea and like I have a weight in my stomachs that wants to come out! I feel like my life is slowly slipping away because I cannot do anything, go anywhere, I don't even want to talk to people because then I feel I have to explain how I'm feeling! I am fortunate enough to stay home which is good because there is no way I would be able to, I cannot even do my regular house stuff here or go to my kids events. Anybody else still have a hard time this far into recovery?

TLH BLO but left ovary remains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Re: Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post op

Hi, first of all, I think the big problem is that Drs dont give us the real scoop on a hysterectomy. We're told that a TAH or Radical Hyst are major surgeryies.. The others, they say less invasive & many are led to believe its minor surgery. Well, its not tge case..So when we're told recovery is 6-8 weeks, that is not fully recovered. At 8 weeks you should be functioning but you can still experience fatigue, aches & pains. Do an activity, then rest. Most people need rest after activities. In addition, hormones are a big factor in recovery. If your ovaries are sluggish then all the menopause symptoms are an issue too.. Eat healthy, do walking then rest & rotate thru the day. Hydrate. To me, it sounds like hormones are making you feel down. Also check with your Dr 3 thyroid tests..Hypothyroisism related w menopause or perimenopause. Check anemia.. Whats good for healing, Magnesium (deficency you can feel nausea +) B12, B complex, Vit C.. A good multi is good. If you take meds for stomach, it can deplete vitamins so you have to be sure go eat foods containing magnesium & B.. I had a TAH, & although I was feeling better 8 weeks, I had brainfog, fatigue, swelly belly w its array of symptoms- stabbing sensations, ti gling + I kept feeling like I couldnt do much. People kept asking me how Im feeling but they dont get it. They thought I should be fully recovered. You cant b rushed. Its a matter of when your body feels better. Everyone heals different. Check w your Dr if you have any concerns. Your Dr can always run tests..Feel better!
Unread 06-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Re: Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post hysterectomy

I'm a little over 2 months & I'm still having pain too. I thought I'd be healed by now, but I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2016, 07:01 AM

The nurses told me full recovery takes 6 months to a year. I dont get pain, but do get pressure and feel uncomfortable. If i have a couple of long days i need some more rest. Swelly belly is getting better but still happens toward end of day or after a more intense workout. Listen to your body most days it is better and better. Give yourself some time.
Unread 06-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Re: Is pelvic and abdominal pain normal 2 months post op

Thank you for all the information LailaStar! I am lucky enough to have not only my OB/GYN who did my surgery but my family DR who have been amazing throughout this process and listen and do not blow off any of my questions.....I was lucky to find them both! At my 6 week she did say the same as you did that even though a lapascropic surgery is less invasive does not mean it is not still a major surgery and my recovery is not going to be the same as another's. I am going to contact her today because she is one who likes to know my weekly progress and know if I am having any new symptoms or issues and ask about maybe doing some blood work my thyroid has always been a problem for me and I have a feeling since my surgery it has changed again and my family dr was going to do blood work in August during my yearly checkup but I think I need to do it sooner. In my head by 2 months I feel like I should be better but my body keeps telling me it's not and I am having a difficult time dealing with not being able to do the things I have always been able to do. Are you feeling better at this point in your recovery? Do you still have pain and fatigue?
Unread 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Lilitin... I see you had yours a week before me and you are still in pain as well?? At times I feel like I must bee the biggest baby and maybe making more out of the pain then I should be. My dr explained the recovery as a 3 step recovery and most patients after 6 weeks have made it through stage 1 which means you are through the actual surgery recovery, now over the next 6-8 weeks your body will go through the getting to know my new self recovery, where the empty spaces are should no longer be in shock and like me my 1 ovary that remained is figuring out how to work on its own and this will cause pain and discomfort, your hormones are still not working the way they should so they are also figuring things out and your body is still tired at times and you may be feeling great one day and be able to accomplish stuff and then it may take you 2-3 days if not more for your body to recover, let it recover, and if you are a mom who is used to being exhausted and just working through it you are going to have a difficult time letting yourself rest, remember you are still recovering and you need to give in to the resting times, your recovery needs that. By the 4-6 month recovery time you should be into stage 3 which you are able to feeling more like the new you, the pain and fatigue should be getting more of a occasionally happening and you should be able get back to your normal routine. Of course all of these are a should happen, but that is where if it's not we need to address it and figure those things out!! Of course like she said hearing someone tell you this and living in it are 2 different thing!!! Listen to what your body is telling you it needs!! I'm having a difficult time letting that absorb in, because in my head I think I should be better!! Hope you start feeling your way of better soon!
Unread 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Thank you Sareason I was told the same 6 months to a year. I think at times it just seems like forever when you are not used to ever being laid up or unable to do the things you want or think you should be able to do!! Glad to hear that the swells belly is getting better for you, it is really bothering me that I can't wear the things I want to, to be able to leave the house and go do things, it holds me back from doing things especially if people don't know I had surgery or do not understand that I haven't let myself go it's the recovery process! It's difficult when you haven't gained weight but you cannot wear the clothes you did prior to surgery because of the swelling!
Unread 06-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Sjnelson - thanks. It's so frustrating.
Unread 06-07-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjnelson View Post
Thank you for all the information LailaStar! I am lucky enough to have not only my OB/GYN who did my surgery but my family DR who have been amazing throughout this process and listen and do not blow off any of my questions.....I was lucky to find them both! At my 6 week she did say the same as you did that even though a lapascropic surgery is less invasive does not mean it is not still a major surgery and my recovery is not going to be the same as another's. I am going to contact her today because she is one who likes to know my weekly progress and know if I am having any new symptoms or issues and ask about maybe doing some blood work my thyroid has always been a problem for me and I have a feeling since my surgery it has changed again and my family dr was going to do blood work in August during my yearly checkup but I think I need to do it sooner. In my head by 2 months I feel like I should be better but my body keeps telling me it's not and I am having a difficult time dealing with not being able to do the things I have always been able to do. Are you feeling better at this point in your recovery? Do you still have pain and fatigue?
That's great that you have a good report w both your Drs.. I think hormones heavily effect us & its not a constant. I kept my ovaries, but Ive had days that Ive had symptons of reduced estrogen or Ill say, some menopause symptoms, then it goes away. Overall looking back I had a good recovery. Just we all experience symptoms that change as we heal. Early on in recovery I had insomnia to about week 8. That went away. Brainfog I noticed to to around 3 1/2 months. That went away, but it has appeared again this week, ugh! Fatigue for 3 1/2 months but if im real busy, I get tired later in the day. Swelly belly has been my biggest issue. It has gone down a couple times but later in the day & the more active I am, the more it swells. I get symptoms of tingling on my belly when it swells. Right after surgery my abs were very weak & sore, that hurt..I also used to get stabbing sensations on my belly.. . Its better now. If the belly will stop swelling, then Ill physically feel mostly healed. Recently, I've had a couple days of joints hurting. 1 day my thumb, then my wrists. Then no pains. Then get pain move to my knees, then knees OK & today, my lower spine. It comes & goes. Im working on natural supplements & diet to help w symptoms. Its a slow recovery, inching forward & back..Just keep doing little walks, rest rotate thru the day.Youll soon notice improvement. hydrate & eat healthy. I hope you feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register