anyone have symptoms get worse with estrogen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone have symptoms get worse with estrogen? anyone have symptoms get worse with estrogen?

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM
anyone have symptoms get worse with estrogen?

I had a VH, leaving 1 ovary 6 weeks ago and have been having problems with insomnia and hot flashes so Dr put me on a very low does estrogen, (I'm 50 and and FSH shows post menopause though I've never stopped having periods prior to the hyster, because of fibroids ) so I took the estradiol last night and was awake ALL night, with much worse night sweats then i've EVER had! is it possible the estrogen is making things worse? there is nothing in the side effects list saying it will CAUSE insomnia or night sweats. I should say that before my 6 week appointment, after reading stuff on this site and wanting to go as natural as possible, I tried a black cohosh pill from the health food store and had the same effect, worse sleep and worse hot flashes and night sweats then before so I only tried them 2 nights. my recovery has been excellent and I feel great, other then not being able to sleep!!! anyone else experience this? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Re: anyone have symptoms get worse with estrogen?

How long have you been on the estradiol? It takes a period of adjustment for your body to settle in with the hormones. I had two days of hot flashes after I started Vivelle dot. When I switched from Vdot to Estradiol pills I had 3 days of migraines.
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recre8or View Post
I had a VH, leaving 1 ovary 6 weeks ago and have been having problems with insomnia and hot flashes so Dr put me on a very low does estrogen, (I'm 50 and and FSH shows post menopause though I've never stopped having periods prior to the hyster, because of fibroids ) so I took the estradiol last night and was awake ALL night, with much worse night sweats then i've EVER had! is it possible the estrogen is making things worse? there is nothing in the side effects list saying it will CAUSE insomnia or night sweats. I should say that before my 6 week appointment, after reading stuff on this site and wanting to go as natural as possible, I tried a black cohosh pill from the health food store and had the same effect, worse sleep and worse hot flashes and night sweats then before so I only tried them 2 nights. my recovery has been excellent and I feel great, other then not being able to sleep!!! anyone else experience this? any suggestions?
I had a LAVH on 2/6/12 (everything's gone) and didn't start the nite sweats till late in my 3rd week. Doc put me on Premarin 0.625 & it corrected the problem however the insomnia kicked in at my 5 1/2 wk marker. Everything I read says that it 's just a common post hyst side effect. I don't want to start sleeping pills since I go back to work on Apr 6 & I figure it'll kick my butt enough to knock me out. One thread on here said to eat a banana B4 bed since they are high in melatonin. Bought some of those today!!! Hopefully we all get back to normal soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. Only been 1 day but the effects were so extreme it freeked me out! The insomnia and night sweats last night and hot flashes today were way worse than before. I'll give it more time to settle and try the banana and some other things to make me sleepy tonight
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Hope you feel better soon. I had a total LAVH & the night sweats, hormonal crash did not occur for about 3 weeks. Then, I just tried to ignore it. I was not sleeping so I started .3 mg of estrogen (premarin). It took several weeks to kick in, and after a few days I would notice a slight change. If it took several weeks for the crash, it would make sense that there must be a time to build up again. Maybe you're extreme side effects would have happened anyway? Talk with your doc and let us know...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register