6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain! 6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain!

Unread 07-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes98 View Post
I had a total hysterectomy via Davinci (left my ovaries) last Tuesday, July11. Yesterday, I awoke from a nap in the worst pain of my life in my abdomen. Thought my bowels were finally moving and had an overwhelming urge to push the matter out. After about 5 hours of dealing with this excruciating pain and breaking out into cold sweats, my husband contacted my doctor since I could never produce a bm. I literally thought I was dying and wanted to go to the er, except I couldn't walk due to the pain. I have been very diligent about taking Colace, drinking water, and taking short walks since the day of my surgery with hopes of preventing this episode. Now, 2 doses of Milk of Magnesia on top of the maximum dose of Colace has only produced little results and I'm scared to take my prescription pain meds. Anyone else dealing with this, and if so, how did you remedy the problem?
I am so sorry for your ordeal!! I'm praying for you!
I kept all kinds of colon support handy and still do at 12 weeks post op. I'm sure you've heard this by now, stool softener, probiotics (take daily) Calm, magnesium powder drink to take at night. it's been a roller coaster for me too!
I finally had a colon cleanse at a colon hydro-therapist. it's very helpful. but my diet plays a big part, low salt, no dairy or anything else that slows bowel function. exercise, even if it's just slow walking around your home. Water!
hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain!

I cannot begin to express how grateful I am to each of you who provided advice to my issue. It turns out, I had developed an ileus, which is a fancy word for a bowel obstruction. Thankfully, I am much better today but are pretty sore from Saturday's episode. In addition to all of the suggestions, Milk of Magnesia saved my life and I have to continue taking it until my post-op appointment in 5 weeks. While there's nothing you can do to prevent an ileus, I would have performed a bowel prep prior to my surgery to make things a little more comfortable and manageable while waiting for my intestines to return to normal. Additionally, I should have alternated 800mg ibuprofen and my prescription pain meds as opiates are known to cause constipation. So for now, that is my plan and to get plenty of rest while I recuperate.
Unread 07-18-2016, 11:06 PM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain!

I am day 10 post op. Day 6 I stopped taking the prescriptions pain meds and went to Marijuana. I can have a bowel movement now! and my pain is as minimum as can be. RX meds bung you up bad.

Everybody finds something that works for them. for me I use herbs. I have been "overdosing" on vitamin C (6000mg) overdosing on vit C causes bowel movement. I also take 600 mg of magnesium before bed with the Vit C. Liquorice root 3 capsules 3X/day. And have been conscientious about what food I put in my body. There is not just one thing you can do to fix it, there are many. The more that you bring into your regiment the more your body will thank you. Google what foods to stay away from and what foods will support your body.

Post Script:
I am not a Dr, this is my experience.

So many warm wishes and happy poop movement your way.
Unread 07-19-2016, 01:33 AM
6 days post hysterectomy: Holy bowel pain!

I was so uncomfortable the day after my surgery, I had my DH give me an enema!! That helped me get rid of the trapped gas & feel better. I've been taking Colace 3x daily & probiotics 2x daily since, and no more bowel pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register