Scheduled LAVH Some questions about hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some questions about hospital stay Some questions about hospital stay

Unread 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Some questions about hospital stay

I'm going to have surgery in about a month, so I have lots of time to get things together.

The office gal who scheduled my surgery told me that they usually keep patients only overnight unless complications.
They also do hyster. patients last in order for the day.

I'm not sure whether to bring my own nightgown/robe and slippers. If they do the surgery in early/late afternoon and usually discharge the next day, will I even have a reason to bring those things?

If I do bring my own nightgown/robe at the hospital, will the hospital allow me to just wear it home? I've only had outpatient procedures done, so I really have no idea. I was thinking since it's August and hot, my new nightgown/robe would be perfect for going home in.

I was going to get a binder from here, but I'm not sure which one to get. Which would you recommend?

If they allow me to shower, should I bring my own shower gel?

Are cotton or nylon underwear better? I was going to purchase a package of regular briefs that are 2 sizes larger than what I currently wear. Does that sound about right?

Should I just bring my regular sized bra?

Since I have a month, I'm going to try doing some walking, working with hand weights to strengthen my arms and changing my eating habits.

I'm nervous, but so ready for this constantly running faucet to shut off, if you know what I mean. It's taken over my life and has for quite some time.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I've done a lot of reading here in the past 2 days, so I apologize if I asked too many question or should have read faq's or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Re: Some questions about hospital stay

I took my own nightgown and slippers to wear home , but during my stay I wore the hospital gown because there were people in and out every half hour checking vitals and incissions and listening to my guts. I changed into my own things when they were discharging me.

My hospital provided soap and shampoo.

I took some of my own cotton panties, but my nurses brought me several pair of the nylon panties so I wore those.

I wore my same sized bra, but glad I bought pajamas a size too big because right now I am swelled out like I am ready to deliver.
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:16 AM

bras... pffft!!! Who needs one!

All kidding aide. I think every hopsital is a bit different and every patient is different. I have read stories where a hyster was treated as an outpatient and others who spent a few days at the" castle ".

If you've got someone staying with you pack what you want. Better to have too much than not enough right? Mine is scheduled for next week and I am planning on wearing a loose sundress in and out. I don't feel I'll need my own pj's and the hosp. usually gives out slipper socks. If complications occur I can always have my darling husband bring something from home.

As far as toiletries... I am going to pack a little bag but may or may not use it, but I am pretty picking about my toothpaste and shampoo.

Binder - I asked my doctor, she said she;d have the hospital give one. I hope I don't regreat not ordering one from here. Some women love em and others didn't seem to need them.

Walking - I think anything you can do to strengthen yourself (esp. arms and core) would be beneficial . I am doing the same thing.

I don't think you could ever ask too many questions before a hyster. I get on and read when I start to freak (so I am spending 1 -2 hours a day) ha ha ha! but it really does help to read others experiences. I found hopping over to the Post-Op page and reading the updates from those recovering has been helpful too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM

There is a list on this site of things you should bring tothe hospital. I packed just about everything on that list. I was only in the hospital over night. Was home by dinner time the next day. (6/29-6/30) I was able to shower that morning, changed into my night gown and used my ballet type slippers. I also wore that home. I did not have the energy to change again!!!! When I took my shower they asked me if I needed anything, I said that I had my own. Honestly the rest of the things that I packed I did not use! I also thought I was going to be there another night! I did use the lip balm that I packed. And my phone!!!! I am also the type to over pack. Better to have it then have to wait for someone to bring it!!!!! Good luck to you!!!!
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

I was in the hospital for 4 days and I packed a bag and the only thing I used from my own bag was my toothpaste, underwear and lotion. You will be in a hospital gown most of the time becuase the nurses will be coming in and out so why mess up your own gown.

See if your doctor will have a binder for you at the hospital. They are the best thing ever they will hold you in place and you will need it to walk around.

Good Luck on your surgery.
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:45 AM

I took everything on the list on the site, and used very little. I stayed in the hospital gown and robe. Wore a lose fitting pair of crop sweats, an undershirt (lg size) and an oversized zip up jacket to and from the hospital. I've worn those crop sweats like crazy - best $!0 pair of pants ever. Purchased a pack two sizes larger of granny panties, but still wore them low to avoid the incision area. I took a pair of flip flops because I didn't want to have to bend over to put on anything. I say leave the bra at home unless you're uncomfortable without it. I did take Dove dark chocolate for the nursing staff and they seemed to really appreciate it. Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

I stayed just overnight as well I only used my phone, lip balm, peppermint candies and abdominal binder.
I bought both abdominal binders from this site - one without an ice packet pocket and one without - I love them! Put the regular one on before I walked the first time and it was good, after about the first 3 days I have been wearing ice packs and I love it! Esprcially in this heat the ice packs are great! Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Hi Yasu,
I am two weeks post op from a LSH. I live in Florida where I swear it's 200 degrees outside.
I brought my own jammies to the hospital. I was in overnight. I didn't bring a bra with me, I just wore my jammies home. The hospital is fine with it.
I forgot my own shower gel and ick, the hospital's substitute was not nice. So you should bring that with you too.
Cotton undies worked best for me because they breath and I went one size bigger and it accommodated my "swelly belly".

Good luck to you. You will do fine. And we will all be here for you.
Take care of yourself,
Angel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register