11 days to go and feeling down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days to go and feeling down 11 days to go and feeling down

Unread 11-08-2007, 06:31 AM
11 days to go and feeling down

I have 11 days until my TAH and I feel so blue. I've been on wellbutrin for years and it works very well for me, but lately I've been feeling so depressed. I constantly nag at my poor husband about every little thing, the house can never be clean enough for me, I haven't felt like exercising at all and I'm afraid I'm going to gain back some of the 20 lbs. I've worked so hard to lose for this surgery. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of chores, shopping, cleaning, cooking, phone calls, dr. appts., prep I need to do in the next 11 days. I'm anxious that my husband won't be able to care for me and the kids the way I would like him to. He constantly tells me not to worry that all will be fine, but I know it won't be. I just want to curl in a ball and hide somewhere. Not to mention the constant pain and the vicodin I have to take to ease it. I hate being dependent on drugs to make me feel better, but I've found it's truly the only thing that works on the pain. What can I do to eleviate my stress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Hugs to you:
Do you a favorite activity which calms you such as listening to music, watching a really funny movie on tv or just doing a spa day at home-just being in your jammies with a facial mask or something soothing to perk up your spirits. Preparing for surgery is alot of work --Iam thinking about you
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM

maybe try reading, if you like to do that. do you have any pets you can lavish extra attention on. they are great stress relievers. i had 6 days total to prepare for my surgery and let me tell you those were the longest 6 days of my life. don't worry so much about getting all your house work and stuff done. i was going like a house on fire in the days before my surgery, but i was wearing myself out and then realized, hey, it will all still be there when i recouperate. the main thing is to concentrate on YOU. hope all goes well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

I am right there with you. For some odd reason I cry everyday now, sometimes its an all day thing. I can't take any ibuprofen before surg on the 20th so now I'm taking vicodin for the pain. My husband doesn't want to help me prepare the house at all, so no help there. I too am so worried about after surgery. The surgery itself doesn't bother me, its everything before and after. I'm still trying to work and now I feel like I'm breaking down there too. I also take wellbutrin and have for many years, I just started to take it twice a day now to see if that helps. I'm only taking 150mg and my doc said I could go up to 300mg, so hopefully it starts to help. I'd rather feel emotionally numb than to feel emotionally unstable everywhere I go.

I'm glad we have this site to turn to. I'll pray for you that all goes well. Good luck to you.
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Hi There I Have 13 Days To Go And I Feel The Same As You Ive Been Snappy With My Hubby And Been In Tears Everyday And Feel Like I Cant Do Anything Right At The Moment But Other Days I Feel Good And Think After The Op My Life Will Be So Much Better And Thats The Biggest Thing That I Think About And Helps Me Get Through The Day ... A Friend Of Mine Had Her Op 16 Weeks Ago And Shes Now Back At Work And She Looks Great And She Said She Feels Great The Best Shes Felt In Years Everything Will Be Ok For You I Know It Will... Keep Strong Sweetie Were All Sisters Together And We Will Feel On Top Of The World After The Op Promise Keep In Touch Will Be Thinking Of You Xxx
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi there! I too have 11 days to go and I'm really getting excited! I agree with the ladies above. Keep busy, read, play with your children, listen to music, clean (if you really have to) and try to walk. I'm determined to get on my treadmill yet before surgery...well, at least I hope to. I also joined Netflix free for a month to rent movies and I've watched some really great chick flicks! The Notebook had me completely in tears, which I think is good...since it sounds like you need an outlet for some of your emotions! I cried rivers over that one! My kitty's have been a constant source of joy for me because they let me pet them all day long, they purr and snuggle up in my lap when I need a hug! My husband is totally jealous of that, but he'll get over it! Oh yeah, I lost 25 pounds now (started losing in June...) and I hear ya when you say, "I don't want to gain it back!" Me either!!

Sending you big hugs...stay in touch, since we're going to the castle on the same day!
Unread 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM

What you are feeling is natural....I know I felt that way and I know many others have and will. You are having a major surgery and with that comes all kinds of feelings. The waiting is SOOOOOOO hard! I know I was an emotional wreck. I felt overwhelmed with everything and all my brain could do was think about the surgery, the fear, the uncertainities.... You do not have control over the surgery so it is natural you want control in your life (the house clean, etc). I just wanted to give you a and let you know I am thinking about you. Try to do something for yourself to relax and maybe you and hubby can go out for dinner. And to be honest, hubby will more than likely not do things like you do or as well as you do. I know my DH did not do things the same and believe me the kids were quick to point that out. He had to come ask me questions in bed constantly. We still giggle because my son needed cupcakes for class and he did not want store bought cupcakes. My husband agreed to make them. He has NEVER baked anything before. He came into the bedroom for every step. But, you know what, he did it. Also, he sure does appreciate all I do around here now that he had a small taste. I say small because the ship did not run the same but it did not sink!!! Remember your job will be to recover! Good luck in your wait and your recovery!!!
Unread 11-10-2007, 04:12 AM

I am also on the 19th and my emotions are all over the place...sad at times for the loss, happy for sending Auntie Flo and all her nastiness on a permanent vacation!! And Doodlebee is right, hubby won't do everything exactly like you, but the kids and you will survive. I have the same worries sometimes, but I have to get over it I guess. And for all the cleaning I do now, I know the house will be a mess when I come home from the castle (2 teens, 2 tots) trying not to think of that.....my stress level is high, but at night after all is quiet I concentrate on my new hobby of making jewelry, very soothing and keeps my brain occupied.....maybe you could find a soothing type of activity to do whether it be reading, sewing, crocheting? My DD crochets and likes to make scarves (easy for beginners)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register