Please help me understand my CS report | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me understand my CS report Please help me understand my CS report

Unread 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Please help me understand my CS report

Hi all, I am new here :-)
I am post-op hysterectomy and post Resection Rectopexy as of July 6,
2015. Both my Gynecologist and my Rectal Surgeon recommended I do both surgeries at the same time
for safer and practical purposes.
It's been almost three weeks since and I still feel like a total zombie...
Two weeks into post-op I developed a new type of pain starting
at my lower right back shooting all the way down my right front thigh.
Pain has been worsening daily so my doc ordered a cat-scan which was
done early Friday morning July 24 in ER. Dr said everything showed OK, well perhaps some inflammation but nothing catastrophic so just continue
taking Motrin to relieve the pain.

During discharge I requested a copy of the cat-scan and as I read it during my car-ride home I discovered several notes that
appeared worrisome to me. Haven't had a chance to discuss those with my doctors yet but knowing that they've already seen it and made nothing out of it I am confused and quite concerned.
Hopefully some of my new HysterSisters friends might be able to enlighten me.
So here goes part of the results / impressions of the CT findings;

There is a wedge-shaped area decreased atteuation within the right
hepatic lobe, which may represent a geogrphic perfusional abnormality
versus infarct.

There is thickening of the rectum, distal to the region of
anastomosis, which may represent a inflammatory or infectious
proctitis. there is also mild thickening of the adjacent vaginal cuff,
and infection cannot be entirely excluded.

Dilated varicose within the subcutaneous fat along the anterior pelvis
and perineum are again demonstrated.
There is a 2.8 x 2.2 c soft tissue density seen near the left inguinal
region, abbuting the lateral aspect of the urinary bladder, which is
new since the prior study (May/2009) this may represent an enlarged
lymph node versus other soft tissue lesion. A PET/CT and/or soft
tissue sampling can be considered for further evaluation if clinically
indicated.
End of results.

I apologize for my lonnng post.
If anyone could enlighten me with helpful suggestions I would very
much appreciate it.

p.s. Unfortunately I'm becoming more and more intolerant to the Motrin lately as it gets me very dizzy and raises my blood pressure
tremendously. This too is very new to me because my blood pressure counts are normally on the low side...

Gosh, so many changes in such a short time.
Will I ever feel better??

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Re: Please help me understand my CS report

I wish I had answers. I can only say that much of it does not surprise me - things are swollen in there and probably are looking different on the CT from before. The pain down you leg could be sciatic nerve. I hope your doctor will give you the answers. I would mark the ones you question so you remember them.
Unread 07-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Sometime before my surgery, I had an ultrasound. When I got the report and read it, it sound like I was probably going to die tomorrow, the language was so technical and was full of all kinds of scary words. I called my s.i.l., who is a dr in a panic and ask her what it said. It basically boiled down to everything looked normal, except for the fact that I had fibroids. I wouldn't get too worried until you have a chance to go over the report with your dr. If you don't have an appt for awhile, call your drs office and ask about it. I hope every thing is fine, my s.i.l said that the drs always joke about the type of language that is used in those reports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etty View Post
There is a wedge-shaped area decreased atteuation within the right hepatic lobe, which may represent a geogrphic perfusional abnormality versus infarct.
You've got something going on in the right lobe of your liver. This may simply be an abnormality in the way your blood vessels are structured there rather than an actual failure of blood flood.

This may not have anything to do with anything else that's going on.

Quote:
There is thickening of the rectum, distal to the region of anastomosis, which may represent a inflammatory or infectious proctitis. There is also mild thickening of the adjacent vaginal cuff, and infection cannot be entirely excluded.
There's thickening in your rectum, but not near the region where the surgery was done. "Proctitis" means inflammation of the rectum. Yours may or may not be infectious.

There's also mild thickening of your vaginal cuff, possibly due to infection.

Quote:
Dilated varicose within the subcutaneous fat along the anterior pelvis and perineum are again demonstrated.
Do you mean varicose veins? Note the word "again" - these varicose veins were seen in a previous CT scan in May, 2009. I suggest not worrying about these.

Quote:
There is a 2.8 x 2.2 c soft tissue density seen near the left inguinal region, abbuting the lateral aspect of the urinary bladder, which is new since the prior study (May/2009). This may represent an enlarged lymph node versus other soft tissue lesion. A PET/CT and/or soft tissue sampling can be considered for further evaluation if clinically indicated.
This is a new feature. You have an area of "soft tissue density" about an inch across in left side of your groin. It might be an enlarged lymph node, or it might be some other kind of soft tissue lesion.

Your doctor might want to order a dual PET/CT scan or they might want to take a biopsy of the soft tissue to find out what's going on.

You mentioned that the pain was from your lower *right* back down your *right* leg. The "soft tissue density" is on the *left* side of your groin.

You also mentioned that the CT scan was done in the ER. Was the doctor who told you just to take Motrin the ER doc? I'd suggest making sure that both your gyn and your rectal surgeon are aware of the the results of this CT scan. *Call them*. Don't assume that the ER will do it.

Ask them specifically about the possible infection in the rectum and vaginal cuff and also about the soft tissue density in your left groin.

Good luck!
Unread 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze my report so thoroughly. I really appreciate it.
On the report it is written; Dilated "varices" and not varicose. I looked up the word "varices" in the dictionary. It is the plural of the word "varix" which mean dilated veins or varicose veins... so you've got it right :-).

BTW, even though I had the CS done in the ER, both my gyno and rectal surgeon read the reports and saw me me as well that same morning as they were doing their rounds in the hospital. I wouldn't rely on just the ER Drs alone...

Had I seen the report at the time I would've questioned them right there and then.
I will definitely call them and have them clarify it all to me.
Thanks again for responding

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register