Smokers? Did you have problems during or after surgery? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Smokers? Did you have problems during or after surgery? Smokers? Did you have problems during or after surgery?

Unread 04-16-2004, 03:51 AM
Smokers? Did you have problems during or after surgery?

hi everyone,
I too smoke right up until 3 hours before surgery, but when i woke up i was vomiting for 3 days straight in hospital, my kids where scared when they came up the next day to see me, i was green and bloated(like a blow fish) lol.
I still am smoking, i call them my sanity sticks, i wish i could give it up, maybe one day.
But every one is differnt, i have had surgery before and had no probs with the anisthic. so maybe it was from smoking nearly before hand.

Love and hugs from sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2004, 05:03 AM
My doc read me the riot act

And gave me a bunch of free samples and a scrip for Zyban as she wants me off cigs 2 weeks prior to surgery in late May. I'm just under pack a day for it's been 30 years. I would like to give this an honest try. I want to put myself in the best position for recovery. I'm tired of my car smelling like a pool hall!
Unread 04-16-2004, 05:04 AM

Hi all, I smoked right up to walking through the hospital doors the day before my surgery. I smoke rolling tobacco and not really very much so I was suprised when the nurse asked if I smoked as she could hear me wheezing!! I never knew I had a wheeze!
I felt so told off I didn't smoke for the whole time I was in hospital...too scared!
I had all good intentions of just not starting again as I had no withdrawal symtoms whilst in hospital but on arriving home ...well that was a different matter.... anyway hence here I am now hooked again.

7 Weeks post TAH, ovaries retained, cervix gone, back to smoking 50gr of rolling tobacco a week again.... oh yes smoked since I was 14 (umm)
Unread 04-16-2004, 05:31 AM

I had it planned..... I got the patches, the date for stopping, was ready to quit for good. I was recovering from flu at my pre-op day and said I was quitting before the op and was gob-smacked to be told not to as it would make me cough more after the op!! So I carried on, having my last puff an hour before surgery. I didn't puff again till 2 days post-op as the gremlins and withdrawals were getting to me!

It was interesting to read simplymetz how much you slept post op .. I thought I must be the only one! I went into the ballroom at 3pm and don't recall much but blood pressure checks and mouth washes till 10am the next morning!

The face mask made me feel sick so they changed it for nasal tubes which was taken off after I finally woke up. I was only sick as a result of morphine/my long awaited cup of tea! Other than that, was fine.

But I am still smoking much to my dismay.......... it's boredom! But I will quit before much longer ... !

Musk2u
Unread 04-16-2004, 05:55 AM

okay i was soooo bad - i smoked walking into hospital - had surgery at 11:30 am, went to room at 6:00 - i knew there was NO way i would make it days without cigs so i took a pack of cigs in bag and a can of "neutra air" - at 5am next morning i walked into bathroom, sat on toiled and smoked about a half a cig (would have gone earlier but was scared to getup - felt fine but scared) - fromthen on in i was in bathroom every 1-2 hours - one nurse walked in while i was in bathroom - i thought i was caught - and when i came out i said "you caught me?" she had NO idea what i was talking about, so i fessed up and told her i sprayed neutra air - she was amazed, said she was gonna go buy some - she is a nonsmoker and couldnot smell smoke!!!!! so, i did fine - but of course, i was lucky no serious complications
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:01 AM
I Quit...

I have smoked for about 30 years, I have been trying to quit for the last 10 years. I was down to a 1-4 cigs a day before surgery. the morning of surgery I had a couple puffs that was it. Since surgery on March 15/2004 had no cig, till a stressful situation a couple days ago, tryed one and got sick to my stomach, don`t want nothing to do with those nasty things....

I had a LAVH/BASO and was home the same day, I had a problem with mucus and coughed up alot for about three days and it hurt a bit to cough, you need a pillow to hold on your stomach.

I am thankful for this surgery for it helped me kick the habit.

good luck, Joniangel
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:19 AM

Good morning

Well I am also a smoker.. about 1 1/2 packs a day. The week before surgery.. it was probably more like 2 1/2 packs a day... I was so nervous. Anyways.. I had my last smoke in the car.. right outside the door of the hospital. I honestly wanted to quit.. hoping they would keep me for days.. so I could get over the withdrawl.. but I only stayed 27 hours in the hospital. Anyway.. I didn't have any complications.. which was also a BIG concern of mine. I did have alittle cough.. which I don't usually have.. but I was told by a friend of mine that is a paramedic.. it was probably from the irritation from the tube that they put down my throat. I would say.. tell her not to worry. Of course.. if she can cut back or even quit that would be great.. but I know.. for me.. I smoked more before and after the surgery.. out of pure boredom I think.

Be blessed all....
Hugs..
Karin
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:42 AM

I smoke about a pack every two days. I smoked right up to the 8 hour cut off and while I was in surgery, I took my walks outside, lol. The only problem i have had is the coughing. That hurts your stomach muscles, but other than that, nothing.

Good luck!

Shannon

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register