letter to doc | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

letter to doc letter to doc

Unread 04-16-2004, 12:30 AM
letter to doc

This is the letter that I plan to give to my doctor tommorrw as I am not a very verbally asertive person. (But I cn write it down and tell you exactly how is) I was just wondering what you guys thought about it, and if anyone had any suggestions.
Thanks, Michelle

Menstrual cycle started at nine years of age. Painful menstruation started around 11 years of age. I was out of school several days a month with cramps and such. I was prescribed birth control around this time to try and control pain.

Continued with painful menstrual cycle until seventeen, when I became sexually active. Pain intensified. After several ER visits to Rowan and then Concord, I was referred to Copperfield OB/GYN and Dr. *****.

Dr. ***** found a large cyst and endometriosis; he removed the problem through laparoscopy, with the contemplation of removing the entire ovary. I continued with painful periods and birth control. The pain became intense at times, but it was nothing that I couldn’t live with.

In Aug. 2002 I became pregnant with my first child. Pregnancy was unremarkable until 5 ½ months along. Contractions started and I was put on medication and light bed rest. At 33 weeks my water broke and I delivered a 4lb 7-½ oz girl.
One month after delivery I began have intense pain. Dr. **** found a blood-filled cyst that had ruptured, and the blood was not being absorbed. I had another laparoscopy to remove the blood. I also had a D&C for constant bleeding.

Continued to have bleeding and pain, that was very intense at times. I have been placed on bextra, vioxx, lupron, darvocet, hydrocodone 5, 7.5, and 10 mg; I have also been placed on antibiotics four times for possible infection due to tenderness. Nothing has really helped and I do not like the feeling of being “doped up” all the time. The impression I got from my OB/GYN was to “here take these pills and see what happens”. I feel that all the meds have impaired my ability to take care of my daughter in the way that I would like to, and have actually made my pain worse in the last year.

This pain is here ALL the time, it gets so bad at times that it will literally take my breath away or I will let out an involuntary scream. I cannot have sexual intercourse, or even insert a tampon without pain, due to VERY tender cervix and uterus. The days following sexual intercourse are absolutely horrible. This pain has affected my quality of life to the point of where I am almost scared to go do anything for fear of the pain getting real bad and me screaming in front of people.

I CANNOT live like this. I want this problem fixed. Although I cannot get through my day without pain mediations, I do NOT want to be placed on them “to see what happens”. I am opposed to the idea of another laparoscopy to temporarily fix the problem.

What I would like to have done is a hysterectomy in which the cervix, uterus, and at least the right ovary (the one that keeps getting cysts) is removed. This is not a decision that I have come to lightly. I understand that I am only 21 years old and that I will go through menopause if both ovaries are removed, and possibly within a few years if only one is removed. I also understand that I will no longer be able to have children. From very early on I knew that I only want one child due to my own childhood experiences. In my mind the pain of going through a hysterectomy will eventually fade, the pain that I am in now will likely not. I want to be able to play with my child and to have a sex life; I just want to be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2004, 01:19 AM
letter to doc

Very well put and for all the pain you are in .....im 26 and have been told by my obgyn at the age of 30 or before he will c me back due to have so many complictions for a hysrto..i know what you are going through i have 1 child also and i want another but not the pain or the loss to go with it ....my marrage is on the rocks due to this problem of bleeding for the last 4 months and no sex not intrested at all...im now waiting for my dr to cal me with a date so i can move on with my life and regain my life back and hopefully make it better and beable to be a mom to the one child i do have.....wish you the best of luck and lot's of many more good days to come forth......
Unread 04-16-2004, 02:37 AM
letter to doc

Hi Michelle,
I think I would just stick to the facts and leave out the parts like:

(quote)I feel that all the meds have impaired my ability to take care of my daughter in the way that I would like to, and have actually made my pain worse in the last year.

I make notations on medical history, levels of pain, and any other pertinent info. I also carry a list of current meds that I take to my dr. visits. My dr. just needs the bare facts and then she and I are able to sit and talk about what is going on. I am very careful about what I write down as it goes into my records and I wouldn't want things I am feeling at that moment to be misconstrued later on.

Good luck on your appointment today!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register