swelly belly | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:09 AM
swelly belly

hiya im nearly 5 months post op and i still have a BIG swelly belly. it was large before the op but now somedays its massive.
what i want to know have any of my sisters with swelly bellys ever been asked if they are pregnant and how to they reply to the people who ask? when someone asks me i get upset about the remark and i don't know what to say. does anyone have anything witty to say to people who ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Re: swelly belly

I have never been asked that, but I would just simply say "No, I had surgery".
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM

First thing... I don't think people ask this to be mean or cruel. So try not to take it personally - believe me, I know this is difficult. I have lost 120 lbs and people used to ask me this question often. I think the best reply is to simply say, "No." I can almost guarantee that alone will make them feel embarassed and think twice before asking someone else.

Sending you a big (((((hug))))) to make you feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2011, 08:18 AM

A simple no, I had surgery and still have swelling, should do the trick. They will probably fall over themselves apologizing. I know I sure did the one time I made the mistake of asking when a lady was due...she was not pregnant, nor had she had surgery..she just had a big belly. I learned to never ask! ;-)
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM

when its cold outside you an cover it up with coats and jumpers but when we have an heatwave its hard to hide.
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM

That is true...it has been miserable hot here too
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishno5 View Post
when its cold outside you an cover it up with coats and jumpers but when we have an heatwave its hard to hide.
Oh Sweety.... I know exactly how you feel but you can't let other people make you feel bad about yourself. We are so much more than our outsides. I know that you are a strong woman to have gone thru everything you have been thru to get to this point in your life. Please don't let strangers who don't know you or the wonderful person you are make you feel bad. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I know that I am a better and stronger person for all I have been thru - and all those people who have said thoughtless things have played a big part in making me that strong person.

So you go out there with your head held high - look them all in the eye so they know you are a strong, proud woman!!!
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM

thank you sisters for all your comments but a very big thank you to cmcgal, your words where lovely, they brought a tear to my eye and made me think. thank you xxxxx i hope you and all the sister are healing fine.
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM

You are so welcome. That's what we're here for - to support eachother when we're low and clebrate with eachother when we're doing good.
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM

I too have found that a simple "no i just had abdominal surgery" works just fine. But I'm also very careful not to ask women if their pg since I don't want to offend someone if they're not. And I definately agree with Cyn ~ you are a wonderful person and how you look on the outside has nothing to do with who you are inside. Even though I know it's hard when our bodies aren't cooperating with us!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register