Can't drive, can't lift, can't bend, what to do at home? - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't drive, can't lift, can't bend, what to do at home? Can't drive, can't lift, can't bend, what to do at home?

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Re: Can't drive, can't lift, can't bend, what to do at home?

Apparently I am not the only one! Lol! Watching Netflix used to be a treat but now I'm sick of it! Some of you are cleared to drive already? Wow, my doctor said he would decide on my next appointment which is the end of this month! And I had my surgery on 12/13! I haven't even stepped out of my house yet other than one follow-up with the doc two weeks post-op! I am turning into a hermit!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Gosh I can't even remember what I spent 10 weeks doing! It went pretty quick when I look back. It was Summer so sat in the garden a lot in a deckchair, reading. Spent a lot of time watching films, TV, playing on the internet...then hubby got me a guitar so I spent a lot of time learning to play that and looking for online lessons and songs. In between I took regular walks, went to see friends for a cuppa, friends drove me out for lunch and to the beach.

I was cleared to drive at 6 weeks - do be careful with driving before you are cleared as you may not be insured' if you have an accident!!
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM

OMGoodness. I am sorry but at the same time glad, im not alone. I am going stark raving mad. My girl went back to school today and now its just me. I have done all the stuff I am allowed to do, and now I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs. I do however have a pretty good farm going on facebook lol. Even that gets boring after a short time. I have watched all the trashy t v I can stand. I am trying to read the time travlers wife, but even that dont hold me for long.
Thanks for listening, I keep telling myself this will get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm going to join this group...I too am home in a quiet house with my son back off to school today. I remember a time when I would dream to have time off from work. Maybe it is because we are on restriction that it seems so "boring". I am 4 weeks post op but had MAJOR complications so I am about 2-3 weeks post op in healing time. When I tried to bend and pick up, bleeding happened afterwards. So I know not to do that. Best wishes to all of us...We will get through this.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM

It's the kids first day back after the winter break and i'm enjoy the peace and quiet. Since I've been on bedrest these last 4 weeks I have done the following: light cleaning while I play some of my favorite music, I have reached out to family and friends to chit chat more like old times, something I avoided doing when I felt sick and in pain... it also helps with depression. Then I also learned to crochet and have made myself a couple of scarfs and i'm working on headbands next. Also, now that I have me time, I have reorganized all my beauty products and make up and have a pamper me session every morning as I get ready for the day, I do facials, treatment, actually take the time to style and do my hair right, play with make up and accessories... do everything I used to do for myself before I got busy with life. I always try to listen to music while I do these things. All of these things have made me feel better about myself even while i'm down. It has also helped me to feel 'prettier' as I try to deal with body image issues post op. Learning something new like how to crochet has also gave me a nice boost in confidence that I can still learn to do new things and do them well. I had to find a new way to cope during recovery and that includes fighting off depression. Seems to be working... other things I do, read books...a lot, play video games, watch all my favorite movies, watch new movies, get into a good cable series and watch their entire seasons from the beginning, light exercise, like balance and breathing easy to do type of exercises, photography... you get the point lol.

Good luck as you try to fight your boredom ladies! Hope that most of us are living more painfree these days and can actually start enjoying some things again.
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

YAY! Go, You! You've made amazing use of your down time and I especially love that you've been doing such a great mix of productive and purely recreational/amusing activities!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by hysterhunny View Post
It's the kids first day back after the winter break and i'm enjoy the peace and quiet. Since I've been on bedrest these last 4 weeks I have done the following: light cleaning while I play some of my favorite music, I have reached out to family and friends to chit chat more like old times, something I avoided doing when I felt sick and in pain... it also helps with depression. Then I also learned to crochet and have made myself a couple of scarfs and i'm working on headbands next. Also, now that I have me time, I have reorganized all my beauty products and make up and have a pamper me session every morning as I get ready for the day, I do facials, treatment, actually take the time to style and do my hair right, play with make up and accessories... do everything I used to do for myself before I got busy with life. I always try to listen to music while I do these things. All of these things have made me feel better about myself even while i'm down. It has also helped me to feel 'prettier' as I try to deal with body image issues post op. Learning something new like how to crochet has also gave me a nice boost in confidence that I can still learn to do new things and do them well. I had to find a new way to cope during recovery and that includes fighting off depression. Seems to be working... other things I do, read books...a lot, play video games, watch all my favorite movies, watch new movies, get into a good cable series and watch their entire seasons from the beginning, light exercise, like balance and breathing easy to do type of exercises, photography... you get the point lol.

Good luck as you try to fight your boredom ladies! Hope that most of us are living more painfree these days and can actually start enjoying some things again.
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM

And again- I love it! Are you still playing that guitar?
  Quote:
Originally Posted by kazwaz View Post
Gosh I can't even remember what I spent 10 weeks doing! It went pretty quick when I look back. It was Summer so sat in the garden a lot in a deckchair, reading. Spent a lot of time watching films, TV, playing on the internet...then hubby got me a guitar so I spent a lot of time learning to play that and looking for online lessons and songs. In between I took regular walks, went to see friends for a cuppa, friends drove me out for lunch and to the beach.

I was cleared to drive at 6 weeks - do be careful with driving before you are cleared as you may not be insured' if you have an accident!!
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliaDeLyon View Post
And again- I love it! Are you still playing that guitar?
Yes I am! Struggle to find the same time now I'm back at work but I'm still practicing. Getting pretty good at the chords now and have learnt a few songs to sing along too!
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM

These are some really great suggestions.

I also have on my list:

send out cards with personal notes

beading

embroidery

audio books - I'm still not able to read for very long

brush the cats and trim their nails (can be dangerous for some cats)

organize the spice drawer alphabetically

plan menu & shopping list for partner to fix (that was at his request)

I'm also reading Homestuck - an online comic that my teenage daughter loves
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyken73 View Post
I now wish I would've learned to knit or something!!!
Good luck ladies... Thanks for letting me vent!

Do you have a friend or neighbor who can teach you? Sounds like a great time to learn.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register