Choosing anesthesia | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Choosing anesthesia Choosing anesthesia

Unread 07-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Choosing anesthesia

Scheduled for TAH Wednesday. Options for anesthesia are spinal or general. "A" man also recommends epidural with a patient controlled pump for 24 hrs afterwards for pain. Anybody gone thru this with only a spinal? If you had it redo, would you do it differently? How 'bout the epidural vs. regular IV pain meds? Just kinda taking a "poll" -- am happy for the options Doc has offered but still undecided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Choosing anesthesia

Lots of sisters have had the spinal, and many choose the general. A good way to read up on each, is to run a search here using the littlel purple "search" button at the top right of each page. Search "spinal" and "epidural".

It's nice that your anesthesiologist is giving you some choice...most doctors have their own preferences and we have to go along. Keep reading and let us know you decide!!

Karen
Unread 07-15-2002, 07:01 PM
Choosing anesthesia

Hi Dawn.....just wanted to say sorry I can't help. I didn't have a choice. I ended up with major surgery and was under for almost 3 hours. If you go that way....the only really bad part is that you are really tired and I think it takes a little longer to come out of it. I know you'll get some good advice from fellow who have had the option. Good luck and God bless!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 08:34 PM
spinal vs general

I had general w/epidural for pain relief, so I can't say much about the spinal. But I loved the epidural. They put it in while I was in pre op and I had it in for about 36 hours. Had little to no pain at all. I maybe pushed the pain button 6-7 times and that was mostly after they started taking the epidural "down" before they pulled it. The one thing I had w/the epidural was that my right leg was pretty numb while I had the epidural in and as soon as they started lessening the pain medication, the numbness went away.

Good luck.
Unread 07-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Choosing anesthesia

I had general for my TAH.I came out of surgery fine. I had morphine PCA for pain.(Got rid of that 4 hours post op)Less then 16 hours after surgery I was up walking around no IV no Cath. anyway....This is a personal choice that must be discused with your Dr. I was not given an option. I was not upset about It I trusted my Dr. and I knew he knew best!Angela
Unread 07-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Choosing anesthesia

After doing much research on this site I went to my appt. with the "A" man and asked for an epidural. However at my pre-op appt. with my dr. he told me he prefers a general. Do you know what your dr. prefers? I finally decided after speaking with the "A" man at length that I would have the general. I was nauseated after until the anesthetic got out of my system, but that was the only down side to it all. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Choosing anesthesia

I went with a spinal - loved it. I haven't had an epidural, but I'm thinking it would be about a toss-up between the two.

Click the "www" button at the bottom of my post for endless details about my experience.

By the way, one of the reason I *could* have a spinal is because my doc had just been in looking around (laparoscopy/hysteroscopy) 6 weeks earlier, and knew just what he was up against - simple, small fibroids. A spinal wears off after about 90 minutes - my surgery took 50 minutes. If your surgery may be longer or more complicated you'd probably need an epidural, 'cause they can keep it going as long as needed.
Unread 07-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Choosing anesthesia

I was coherced by my wonderful doc to have my surgery with an epidural. I wasnt to thrilled with the thought of it at first, but after talking in depth to him and the anest. nurse during my pre-op (who had her hyster. by epidural) I figured I would give it a try. If I ever have to have surgery again from the waist down no matter what it is, I am going to ask for an epidural. My husband had surgery for GERD a few years back and he didnt do well at all with the general. I surely didnt want to have to go through that, so the epidural sounded like the best option. First of all, it was painless. I didnt even feel it when they inserted the needle. I went instantly numb and surgery started. They told me I could be awake or not. I started out awake but after the actual surgery started, I asked to be knocked out. Of course I was numb, but you feel a kinda tugging and pulling which even though I couldnt feel it, it was pretty weird. I woke up in recovery and could wiggle my toes. My pain was about an 8. I did not have a pump nor morhine and was fine without it. They gave me Torodol the first 24 hours and Percoset after that. I had no nausea, gas, headache, itching or anyother weird post op funky feeling. I was very pleased and highly recommend it. My doc had done about 20 surgery's that way prior to mine and he said all his patients liked it much better.
Hopefully your doc will give you an option. Mine practially insisted that I have it done with an epidural. Luckily I have been seeing him for 17 years so I trusted him and his method 100%. Good luck!!
Unread 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Choosing anesthesia

I had general anesthesia with an intrathecal injection for pain. This type of pain relief is a spinal given right before surgery (which did not hurt) with morphine that somehow lasts for 24 hours. I was very nervous about the intrathecal beforehand since most women seem to have the morphine pump. But, I can honestly say I did not feel ANY pain for the first 24 hours. I was groggy and weak from the general, but the pain relief was wonderful. Many women with the pump complain of feeling pain before they puch the button. For me there was no worry about that. I've also heard lots of women who loved having the epidural for surgery. They seemed to be less groggy in recovery. Good luck on your choice!

Unread 07-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Choosing anesthesia

The anesthesia you choose should be the one that you feel most comfortable about after discussing your options with the anesthesiologist. Many women are worried that if they choose a spinal or epidural they have to be 'awake' for the surgery. In fact with appropriate sedation they don't remember a thing and from their perspective were 'asleep' although not the depth of sleep required for a general anesthetic. Many women opting for a regional technique (spinal or epidural) benefit from fewer side effects and the use of spinal narcotics for post operative pain relief.

It really is a question of discussing your options in detail with the person who will be providing your anesthetic and both of you coming to a decision you feel comfortable with.

Best wishes,
Debbie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register