Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

Unread 07-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

Your doctor is absolutely nuts. And 100 is *not* a high number, IMHO. How long has he been in practice? Please get a second opinion.

I had a laparoscopic tubal, and hysteroscopy/D&C 6 weeks before my hyst, and there's no way I could have gone back to driving and working in 3 days! Not even close.

(I just noticed the date of your surgery... I would definitely postpone/cancel until you can talk to at least one other doctor.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 11:09 AM
Whew!

Just to give you an overview of what my doc told me for my LAVH. No lifting over 20#'s for 4-6 weeks, no baths, intercourse, tampons, etc. until my 4 week checkup. No driving for one week and then only short trips if necessary. He told me the end of my second week would be the worst. Discharge should be light but may pick up the end of the second week. This is ALL only if things go as planned. If normal, I'll go home within 12 hours of surgery. If I can't manage the pain or have nausea (his words) I'll stay overnight. Cath only in operating room. Put in while asleep, taken out in recovery. I think I'd at least get a 2nd opinion. Blessings, Janet
Unread 07-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

Wow !!!
That is unbelievable! I had my LAVH on 5/31. My rules were:
One night sleepover in hosp. to make sure everything was working ok. No driving for 2 weeks. (youngest son had 16th birthday and driving test :hair: coming up/ needed practice anyway) Minimal walking and standing. (guts falling out sensation if I did too much) No lifting over 5# for 4 weeks. No lifting over 10# for 2 weeks. (Kids weigh more than me so no problem there!) No baths - Showers only. (My personal preference anyway.) NO SEX for 6 weeks (VERY DIFFICULT to follow but did it at 5 weeks no problems but wouldn't recommend it any earlier) and finally
NO cooking, no vaccuming, no laundry, no mopping, no dusting for 6 months ...... Sorry just made that last part up. My DH didn't fall for it either. I think I would seek a second opinion. But that's just my first opinion.

s and prayers to you ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Googled...

Among Google search returns:

<http://www.accessatlanta.com/partner...terectomy.html>
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:53 PM
PLEASE READ EVELYN1S' POST AND LINK!!

Thanks to all my wonderful sisters who took the time to respond to my questions/concerns, I knew that you would come through!

This article is essentially how he described the procedure. I just re-read my post and I think I may have been a little whacked out and had taken some pain meds before posting. But, I am sure he said all of those things, but may have prefaced it with "you PROBABLY will be up to going back to work in 2-3 days, MOST patients are". Just want to clarify that, my husband was there and heard everything too.

I really don't have the time to get a second opinion, but this is a doctor who works alot with his cousin, who is the premier surgeon in the county, truly worshipped by all, has performed surgery on myself, son and many people I know. His office recommended this doctor. My previous physician passed away of ovarian cancer at about age 50 leaving 6 kids, very sad, but I never found a doctor to replace her (physicians are leaving this area in droves, very unaffordable even for them). I did have a second opinion with another doctor before this guy, she put me on birth control pills which made my tumors grow like wildfire (I quit them and did not go back in to see her).

I had to meet about 150 new realtors today at a broker tour (out of my usual territory) and go on a listing appointment, meet with a team of builders to go over some changes, pick up my son from BB camp. I was so embarrassed by the size of my uterus. I look at least 6 months pregnant, doctor said at least "20 weeks", and I am 46 years old! Gaining weight quickly, he said probably just fluids. I can't go on looking like this, it is humiliating to say the least.

I must say that re-scheduling seems almost impossible at this point, I know it is not though. I am sending my son on a trip, plane tickets are purchased and non-refundable. My DH has arranged to take time off, I have co-workers covering my escrows/listings, an RN friend will be here when I get home, friends lined up to cook, wait on me hand and foot (which I said was an absolute necessity, esp. with my stairs)!Everything packed, new jammies, hair appt. pedicure and of course the requisite massage the night before! I have been looking so forward to getting this over with, never wanted to have even one more period. I know that by keeping my cervix I will be risking the mini-periods, which doesn't worry me too much. All I have read I just wanted to keep as much of the original equipment as possible. He was going to take my tubes but just decided to leave them at the last minute, decided less trauma to them will lessen the chance of my ovaries going into shock.

Truly, I think if I left it up to him, he would have just said take everything out, but he is okay with my wishes. He will look at the ovaries and make a decision at that point. I have to admit that this all happened pretty suddenly, I started hemmoraging the last few months (actually it has been going on a few years) so bad, that I was bedridden for days before, horrible PMS, flooding, huge clots and then had to stay in bed for days afterward just to recover from the severe blood loss. The fibroids are pretty large, and are putting so much pressure on my bladder, lower back, and down my legs too. I really want to get it over. Never in the mood for sex, and have the most wonderful husband who ever graced the planet. Terrific, active 12 year old who deserves a mother that doesn't act 85 years old.

I had previously called several nurses from both hospitals he works at and they all had glowing reviews of him. I have tried to do as much due diligence as possible, I was pretty relieved that I could get things wrapped up quickly to be honest, no second thoughts. I have read about 5 books on fibroids, hysterectomies and other options, hundreds of hours of research on the net. Pretty satisfied with all the decisions and just felt really bewildered by this pre-op appt. I really do like this doctor, prompt at returning calls, seems very patient, even the pharmacy commented on what a nice doctor he is, they had never worked with him as he is nearly an hour from my home.

No matter what the doctor says I will baby myself and follow all the rules of the pillow police. Maybe, things will go as smoothly as he seems confident of. I wish I could get a list of "satisfied customers" like I am sometimes asked for!

Please does anyone think I should just go ahead and proceed as planned? Who was it that asked his age? I would say late 40s and unbelievably good looking FWIW!!!

Confused still, but need to do something immediately. The Go-Lytely (actually pineapple flavored Colyte) is about ready to be chilled!!
Unread 07-16-2002, 09:10 PM

Lanjontay,
Jut read your new post. I just want you to know that my prayers go with you as you have this surgery and your post op care at the hospitol and at home. Only you can make this decision and we will be here to help you in any way. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help. Let us know how you are doing. I will be looking for an update on you!
LuAnne
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:08 PM

I asked about his age.

If you feel totally confident in this doctor then you need to go forward. I believe we were doubting not his skill, so much as his recovery period. You've done the research, what have you read? If you are up and running in 3 days with no effects we will want this doctor for ourselves. But...I still say he is bonkers on the recovery.

We, your sisters, want you to heal properly. You can have the very best surgeon but if you screw up the recovery you will pay for it. I really would talk recovery with him one more time...especially if you need some coverage at work.
Tell him you heal slowly and want a 2 week notice for work. If you don't need a notice as a realtor...you've got it made.

My best to you,
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:36 PM
My 2 cents

It sounds like you are confident in his surgical skills. I don't feel like you have to agree with his every philosophy to have a successful outcome. Thank goodness we all have a place like this to hear about others' experiences and to learn. My surgery (supracervical keeping ovaries) is scheduled for next Tuesday, and my DR is adamant that there is NO chance that my ovaries will fail. I'm 34, and I have had other opinions that admit that there is a chance that the ovaries will fail in the next 5 years following the removal of the uterus. So, needless to say, I dissagree with him on this, but I'm still going forward because I have done my own research and am ready to accept the risks.

FYI as you go forward, my post-op instructions are the complete opposite (having bladder and vaginal repairs, too). No lifting over 5 # for 3 months, then nothing over 20# for the rest of my life as I am prone to prolapse - the reason for my surgery. No driving for 2 weeks, no housework involving bending, pushing, pulling for 2-3 months, no sex for 6 weeks, etc. I think you get the picture that there are many differing opinions on this depending on the reason for the surgery. Please, please err on the side of caution as you don't want to be going back for more surgery a year from now because you didn't give yourself the chance to heal. You deserve to take this time out, and you owe it to yourself and your family to take care of yourself.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register