3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr. 3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr.

Unread 07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Unhappy - 3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr. 3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr.

Well, I am still in pain from my A & P repairs on July 3rd. I am now able to sit up for up to 30 minutes at a time. That is an improvement.

Had my monthly cycle and and was (TMI) bleeding in 2 spots...vaginally and through the perineum. I supposedly had no external incisions. They did all of the repairs vaginally.

Told nurse I was up til 4AM and the Advil won't work. I use the gel ice pack on by belly and the heat pad on my lower back to make it through most days. I am still in the bed propped with pillows 75% of each 24 hours.

She said go to Emergency Room. I said forget it. She said hold on...then came back and said the Dr. will see me at 1 PM today. Husband is taking me.

Maybe I am just impatient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
3 wks post-op...in pain..going to dr.

So glad to hear that you are being seen by the doctor today.
But I'm so sorry you are having so much pain.
I hope you get some relief from the doc today.
Unread 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks...dr was condescending and rude. He was rough during exam, ending up removing some stitches (which was painful), said that he didn't understand why I wasn't "back to normal" by now. He told me that this was a superficial, cosmetic surgery and most people usually would be back to work, having intercourse and doing their normal routine at 3 weeks post op.

I reminded him that I was in surgery for almost 4 hours and that he had told my husband that the repairs were very extensive. He said "oh, let me see your chart." What an ***. He is a 3rd year resident and has a lot to learn.

He renewed my percoset, added flexeril (to relax the abductor muscles which are spasming in response to the untreated pain), estrogen cream to "build up the tissue", and lidocane cream to use while "massaging myself on the inside of my vagina with 2 fingers...like a backrub".

He asked "why havent been using pain meds?" I told him because he wouldn't renew them when I called several times! He said, "I see."

Good grief! He said he will see me on Aug 7th and have the Uro/Gyn Doc there at the same time so he can examine me also. All I can think of is that 2 more exams are only 10 days away. That man put me in tears today from all the digging in me. He had the nurse hold the speculum so he could work...not good for me.

At one point he couldn't find my cervix and said i had healed nicely from my hyster....I HAVEN:T HAD ONE!

Ok...husband is here with pain meds...I'll shut up now....sorry ladies.

Cheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
blustreak

Cheri,

I'm sorry your in so much pain. I agree, your doctor is an *******!

I have a newsflash for him, an A & P repair is not a superficial, cosmetic surgery! You and I have had extensive A & P repairs, and it takes a very long time to heal.

After his rough exam today, I think I would request that only the Uro-Gyne examine you Aug. 7th. It is your right. Tell the 3rd year resident he needs to learn how to do an exam and he's not practicing on you.

Also, have your husband remain for the exam. My neighbor is a retired nurse, and she told me always have your husband in for the exam.

I hope the pain meds help. Try to rest. After my A & P repair, my gyne said not to lift anything over 5#s for the rest of my life, no squatting, no sit-ups, nothing that puts pressure on the pelvic floor.

Tell hubby to pamper you.

Chelle
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Hi Cheri,

I was thinking about you and wondering how you made out.
Unfortunately some doctors are lacking in bedside manner. I wonder how "superficial" and "cosmetic" it would be if he had a couple of hernias repaired down there. Something tells me he would be singing a different tune.

Sounds like he needs to read the patient's file BEFORE he starts the exam. Geesh! He must have felt like an idiot when he said you were healing nicely from your hyst!!!

I am so glad to hear that you got the meds that you need to be able to heal! Finally!!!!
I hope as I type this that you are painfree and relaxing.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks, Girls.

Husband did not get meds. DR did not SIGN the prescriptions. So when husband returned to pharmacy to pick them up at 5 pm as directed, they said he had to go back downtown to dr tomorrow to get them signed......

I know that there are worse things, but i am having a meltdown.

By the way, husband was in room during exam and he is furious with dr.
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM

What a nightmare for you.

I am so very sorry you are having such a rough time and your Dr. is unbelievable. Superficial surgery? I don't think so. Let me at 'im.

This is major surgery and requires at least 6 - 8 wks to heal and then some. Intercourse at
3 wks? At my 5 1/2 wk check up I was told to wait until at least 8 wks.

Sitting was still hard for me at 3 weeks, I had to alternate standing, lying and could only sit on a pillow or on one cheek or the other.

I hope you get your pain meds first thing tomorrow and I hope you manage tonight.
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blustreak
Thanks, Girls.

Husband did not get meds. DR did not SIGN the prescriptions. So when husband returned to pharmacy to pick them up at 5 pm as directed, they said he had to go back downtown to dr tomorrow to get them signed......

I know that there are worse things, but i am having a meltdown.

By the way, husband was in room during exam and he is furious with dr.
Cheri...
It is rare that I say, "OH MY GOD" out loud while reading on the computer but that's exactly what happened when I read your post.
I don't blame you one bit for having a meltdown.
The doctor is a moron.
And why didn't the pharmacy call the doc's office or at the very least call you so you might have a chance to straighten it out before everything was closed?!?!!? Argh!!!
I suppose you are lucky that tomorrow is Friday so at least it's not the weekend.

I am so sorry you have to wait another day.
Unread 07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
blustreak

Cheri,

I wanted to pop in here before I leave for my sleep study. I was so hoping you'd post and say you had gotten your 'scripts and were starting to feel some relief from the pain.

Now I am even more angry with your doctor! Not signing the 'scripts!!!!

Please stay completely off your feet, and if you have any extra strength Motrin or anything in the house, take it every 3 & 1/2 hours.

Cheri, there are no 'worse things' when you are in pain, so, it's ok to have a meltdown, and for what it's worth, we're here for you.

Next exam, give your husband full permission to object if that clumsy imitation of a doctor hurts you again. Sometimes our husbands aren't sure what they're 'allowed' to do in those situations.

I hope you manage to get some much needed rest tonight.

(((Gentle Hugs)))

Chelle
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Bluestreak,
Not sure it's the same in Indiana as it is in Massachusetts but pain medication is a controlled substance. It can't be filled without a signed prescription. However, since the Dr wrote the script and forgot to sign it, in MA, since it was after hours the pharmacist could have called the Dr to authorize the prescription. Then it could be filled and the Dr could mail a hand the written script to the pharmacy.
I know that you're having a really bad time. At 3 weeks post-op it's very common to be unable to sit flat on your bottom. You will have pain and discomfort for quite awhile. Your Dr's interpretation of A & P healing is far off base. Give yourself more time, some people heal at a slower rate than others. That 6 week recovery the Dr's talk about is a "textbook" recovery. In the 4 surgeries I've had, not one has been textbook, so you're in good company.
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register