Will I need extra help around the house? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I need extra help around the house? Will I need extra help around the house?

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Will I need extra help around the house?

Hi, I was wondering if I will need to hire a dog walker for my recovery for when my husband is at work. I have a 45lb and 75lb dog. Also, does anyone hire a maid service temporarily or just grin and overlook it? I am having an LSH.
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Re: Will I need extra help around the house?

I have a 75 lb dog and I didnt walk him until week 3 (he pulls hard) so I had a friend of mine walk him. Also it is post week 4 for me (TAH) and I am calling to hire a maid to come this week and clean my house. My aunt helped sweep it several times but it has not been completely cleaned in 5 weeks. I have been proud of myself by living with dust bunnies and have survived.
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can hopefully get a friend to help with the dogs due to your experience. A maid service may not be a bad idea either. I can live with dust bunnies for a while but by week 5 I may be feeling dirty with the house, ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2012, 02:05 PM

I agree - dog walker would be important. Even if your dogs are good walkers, a single "jolt" could put you into all sorts of issues. Personally, I wouldn't want to chance it.

As for the cleaning -- I did a really good cleaning before my surgery and thus far, just letting sleeping bunnnies lie. I don't feel up to "company" - cleaning crew or not - so I'd rather just wait until I feel ok to clean again.
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Heck yes, get help! It's better to be over-prepared. I'm not even lifting the 20 lb limit, and I'm at week 4 1/2. I would be really cautious about your dogs pulling you. No one's swept or vacuumed here since prior to surgery, but I'm learning to let go. You can ignore a lot if you only have a husband and dogs. At this point I'm jealous of the no kids part ;> That's been the hardest part as far as care goes. Blessings!
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM

I was concerned about the dogs pulling too! I'm noticing a trend of people telling me to get the help. I've found a few dog walkers in my area with reasonable prices. So, that's good. I'm not sure how I would feel about someone or a crew coming to clean. Maybe a thorough cleaning pre-op and getting my husband to vacuum a couple of times during post-op would be the easiest. Thank you so much ladies!
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I don't think your abs will feel healed enough to walk your dog until at least week 4. Walking is good for you post recovery, but walking with a dog tugging on you is a completely different story.

I hired a maid to come in and clean my house once a week for 6 weeks after the surgery. I had to stay at home and care for my 3 little ones just 6 days after my surgery. That was enough work for me. I couldn't keep up with the house to. Plus, my doctor told me no sweeping, vacuuming, or mopping until week 6, so I really needed a housekeeper to help me out.

Since it is summer now, perhaps you could hire a neighborhood kid to walk your dog.
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM

I cleaned my house top to bottom the night before surgery (got my mind off of the looming surgery in the morning also!), and have my kids "spot" clean as needed. I'm on day 2 after surgery, and I needed help with things (going up the stairs, loading the dishwasher, etc.) yesterday...today is much better...able to pick up a little bit, but I have to be careful to not over do it. My Dr. said I am to be walking minimum of 40 steps each hour I am awake to help with getting back to normal..I also started wearing Spanx today, seems to be helping with the feeling my insides swooshing around....and has helped a little with my swelling, I'm also icing my stomach regularly. Good Luck!!!
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM

GET HELP! You can't be pulling those dogs around. You may not even be walking well yourself for a while! I had an abdominal cut, so it's different, but I'm a week out and still getting help on the stairs just for safety. Walked around our little court for the first time yesterday (SLOWLY) and was really tired by the time I got home. And there are times when the tired just hits out of the blue. I had two c-sections so I'm not a baby, but the more help you can get so you can go at your own pace, the healthier you'll be. You don't mess around with ab surgery!
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks! What you guys have all been saying makes perfect sense! I really appreciate all the input and I'm glad to have the support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register