So this will be a journey, 25 and facing partial hyst. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So this will be a journey, 25 and facing partial hyst. So this will be a journey, 25 and facing partial hyst.

Unread 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM
So this will be a journey, 25 and facing partial hyst.

So today I had my check up with my gyno.
I have been through living hell with all my issues with my uterus, cervix, and lower abdominal area. Granted everyone on here has has their own special brand of it, otherwise we wouldn't be here and you would not be reading this.

I am facing a partial hyst. My doctor offered it as a means to end my suffering. When I say suffering I mean it in the utmost way.

I typically every month, without fail, I am reduced to a crying sobbing mess, riddled with pain, I cannot function, move, or even dream of sex. It typically lasts for 48 hours straight. I will wake up soaked in blood, or by the pain being bad enough to wake me from a dead sleep and reduce me to screaming in sheer pain. I pass live tissue, and pass clots regularly. I also have had them tested and nothing. Nothing ever is wrong with me on paper, just pain to a point I cannot handle it. I have lived like this for now 4 going on 5 years.

I have wanted a hyst. since all of this started. I was 18 and had an abnormal pap, and told I had precancerous cells on my cervix.

Well they froze them off, then burned them off then removed pieces from me. All with out any local anethestic. NOTHING. I had to go to a planned parenthood clinic where they did not offer things like that. So I went without and sucked it up so to speak. Now years later the pain I experience every month is FAR worse than I ever had with any of those procedures. I love in pain even when I am not on my cycle, I get horrifying random stabbing pains that drop me to my knees, or cause me to scream.

I dont even know how many tests I have had anymore or what has been done to me to try and find a cause, but nothing ever comes back. Nothing on paper shows there's anything wrong with me, and n o t h i n g ever works, to fix the issue. The only thing that has even made my life livable while I am on my cycle is something I can't get a prescription for. It is the only thing that allows me to function, and it take the edge off and nothing really else.

SO! After my hell that I have been living in and you read my rant, of how angry I am, which hopefully there is enough there, I am slightly new to talking about this issue, I do not have a mother in my life and I have a few friends that have had hyst.'s but that's it as far as my experience goes to talking about this sort of thing.

So further more I will add a few things. I want a hyst to stop living in pain, and stop bleeding. My husband and I have a wonderful relationship, and DO NOT want children at all what-so-ever. (we are more interested in traveling) So why in the hell am I reading all of this stuff to try and talk you out of having a hyst to begin with. Im not using the **** thing, and its causing me all sorts of problems, why not just take it out and be done with it? Also I will add that I am 25 and was finally offered the choice today, I am scared as hell, but excited all in one.

Umm so, I hope my sense of humor isn't too much for you guys. Take care, Id love to hear what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Re: So this will be a journey, 25 and facing partial hyst.

Hello Selina,
Gosh I feel so bad for you! I too have bad periods but yours sound just horrendous! I am 32 and also facing a hysterectomy for a few reasons. One of which is my horrible periods. I actually went in to get an ablation to lessen the bleeding and cramping. I jumped through the hoops to see if I was aplicable to get an ablation covered by my insurance. I got my blood tested and had an ultrasound. After I had the blood test and ultrasound, my DR. told me I was not applicable as I have a bi-cornuate uterus and the ablation would not work on me due to the shape of my uterus. I turned out to be anemic (found by my blood test), and they found a polyp the size of a quarter in my uterus. These reasons, not to mention my prolapsed cervix noticed after my first child and worsened after my seccond, made it easy for me to make the decision. As for my thoughts on your decision....well It sounds like you already made it. If are ready to do this for yourself and your husband supports your decision, then I would do it! I do however think someone who has already had a hysterectomy probably have more advice than I can offer....I'm just here for support! Take care!
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:13 AM

Hello,

I'm 28 and had my surgery 4 months ago. My history kinda sounds like yours - my periods were simply horrendous and the pain unbearable. Like you, I would drop to my knees at times with the sudden stabbing pains that caught me unaware. Various surgeries and tests and alternative, more-conservative treatments later, it was put down as a case of probable adenomyosis, which can't be diagnosed properly until the uterus is in pathology. That's a scary thing to face - that you might have this huge thing done, to find out it wasn't the problem you thought either. But I figured that at the very least, I would be rid of the constant bleeding.

I had a total hysterectomy - uterus and cervix both removed - but kept my ovaries, hoping to keep hold of my own hormones for a bit - but they'll likely come out at some point.

After my surgery, although I still get very tired and I am sore when I overdo things - the cramping is gone, the knife-like pains are gone, the IBS has gone, the bleeding has obviously gone, the feeling of "pressure" that everything is about to fall out of me has gone! All of it. GONE! Adeno, adhesions sticking my uterus and bowel together, and a uterus tilted backwards were all doing me no favours whatsoever.

It is has been hard to experience so young - nobody I know has been through this except my mum about 20 years ago - and it means that very, very few people have given me much time, understanding or sensitivity about it. My 'friends' have been pretty rubbish - this site has been a god-send!

The best advice I have for you is to prepare yourself. Read everything you can, ask your doctor every question you think of. Talk to your husband constantly. Make sure that whatever decision you end up taking, that it feels comfortable and right for YOU and YOUR body, your relationship and ultimately, your life. Nobody else can tell you what you "should" be doing, or what is right for you.

Take care, and I hope you can find an answer to the pain soon - it's exhausting to live like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Man I was floored at reading this. I feel a lot better after talking to some people that have faced this bs, like I have.

And you mean to tell me this could stop my IBS?! Are you kidding me!!?? I would be ecstatic if that went away. I get so ****ed sick a lot and I can never fully explain why. Friends are usually perplexed and my husband feels awful. He is behind me on it, and thinks its amazing I could live and NOT be in pain. He gets so upset when he sees me like that, and I cannot help it whatsoever. Its gut wrenching.

Most of my friends are behind me on this, as I have been talking about wanting one for years. There has been one so far that is really, how do I put it, she seems off about the situation. Its almost like she doesn't share my sigh of relief. Then again she was children and her history is similar to mine. So it could be scaring her into getting checked out. As far as the though of cancer over my head, that's enough to drive someone crazy. I have also told my husband I flat out refuse to do chemo, I will not do it, and had a long discussion about it with my husband Sunday night. I had already told my friends and family if the cancer progressed and got worse I would find a lawyer that would make a Dr. rip the **** thing out. I was prepared for battle, now is the insurance.

I don't even know the first clue of dealing with my insurance. We have pretty good insurance <name of insurance company removed per website TOS>. They take **** good care of us, and I have read some stuff that leaves me horrified thinking the insurance wont cover it. Am I supposed to give them some sob story? Lol.

I swear I am going to draw a picture of my uterus and tack up on a board at the gun range and have a field day with that sucker. Yay target practice!

I seriously have no idea what I will do if I dont have to live like this anymore. I am freaking excited, but just still freaked out.
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM

I was the same - my head went into a whirl about the whole thing when FINALLY after so many years of feeling ill and so many doctors telling me I must be crazy, I was given the 'get out' clause! I'll never stop being appreciative of the doctor who listened and gave me that option. Although I was apprehensive and upset at that point that I had to go through something so huge - I snatched at the opportunity like it was candy! Looked at his calendar and set my date!

Yes, the IBS went away. I can only tell you my experience, so I'm not saying that would happen for everyone at all. But I was stunned too, because I was never sure if it was all connected Iand having had cameras shoved everywhere and finding nothing - I'm glad that's all over as well!!)

I would always have this "I'm coming down with flu" or something feeling, but it would never materialise.

My DH has been amazing , and it's good to hear you have a supportive partner and friends who are there too. I think that helps massively when you're on this journey because as much as you're excited, it's natural to have that 'freaked' feeling, and emotions that hit you out of the blue. It's been tough for him to see me so sick - now I'm coming out on the other side I feel I've got a crazy amount of time to make up for!!

Can't help with insurance I'm afraid - I'm in the UK so it works differently here. I was lucky to have insurance through my work - so I basically called, they gave me the ok and it went ahead. Never saw the final bill.

Funny about putting a picture on a gun range. I have just put a dartboard up at home- maybe I need to get my doctor to give me a copy of the pictures he took so I can do exactly the same thing ;-)
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been through. My IBS symptoms have resolved, two weeks out, so far so good. I haven't tried coffee yet, that will be the final test
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Man I would be so relieved. Cause some days I'm on and more often than not I'm off. I live off immodium, water and pedialyte, fruit and bread. My body is so fickle about what I can and cannot consume. I think about eating some stuff or I try something new, I am screwed. I just want the suffering to end.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register