(Vain) Girlie Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

(Vain) Girlie Questions (Vain) Girlie Questions

Unread 01-31-2004, 09:43 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

Are any of you regulars in the world of pedicures and leg waxing? I am thinking of doing one or the other before my surgery, but I don't know anything about either. It seems that have heard horror stories about pedicures and that women can get terrible infections from them. Is that true? I live in such a small town, I doubt there is anyone skilled enough to trust around here.

But, I am going to the city for my pre-ops with the hospital on Tuesday and I am thinking about getting my legs waxed while I am there. Then, I will have smooth (but maybe irritated?) legs for my physical with the ob/gyn resident. Would they still be smooth for the first week of my recovery? I hate the feeling when my furry legs touch and I was thinking it would be nice to get them waxed if it meant that I wouldn't have that feeling for a little while, since I know we're not supposed to be bending during our recovery.

Am I crazy for thinking of doing this in the week before my surgery? What do I need to know about it and how long will it last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:08 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

PaNik,

If you have the opportunity to get a pedicure before your surgery date......GO FOR IT!!!!! Not only will those toes look pretty, but the pampering feeling that you feel during the pedicure is well worth the money. I get pedicures on a fairly regular basis and would not trade them for anything. I definately plan to get one before I go in. As far as the waxing goes, can't help you there. Have been thinking of getting one of those men's shick quatro razors. Would like to get as close a shave as possible also. I have had a previous c-section and I can tell you that it will be a while before you will be able to shave your legs, unless you have a DH or DBF to do it for you. MY DD would do it, if she weren't 400 miles away at school....Oh well. Also, an epilady will do the trick if you can stand it.

Good luck to you and go get that pedicure.....add a manicure too.
Val
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:27 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

PaNik,
I read your profile. Where in New Mexico are you? I grew up in Cimarron.....north eastern corner......Close to Red River, Taos and Angel Fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:33 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

I'm in Gallup. I spent a summer in Taos working as a river guide and I hope to be able to get back there as soon as my anemia is cured. I bet I could get good spa treatments in Taos, but not here. So, I will have to have a quickie done on my way in to Albuquerque.

How did you end up in Oklahoma?
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:39 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

If you have never had your legs waxed, I would not recommend it right before surgery. I get very sore the first 3 days after it and then sometimes get lots of ingrown hairs. I end up itching and burning like mad. (more so than if I had not shaved). Plus, some people get so irritated that they get infections which can cause your surgery to be delayed. My suggestion...get a good razor, use lots of shaving cream and shave the morning of surgery. You will be very drugged the first few days after surgery and will not care about the itches. You will be able to shave in the shower a day or so after surgery.
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:41 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

Well, after graduation, I went to school in Canyon, Texas. Married and moved to College Station. Divorced, moved back to Amarillo area and finally found a full time teaching job in Lubbock.....Husband works for a company whose corporate office is in OKC> Have been here for 7 years. Still yearn for the mountains. My home, well, my parents home is in Ute Park. Right in the middle fo the Cimarron Canyon. 12 miles from Cimarron and 12 miles from Eagle Nest.
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:44 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

forgot to add the part that I remarried.

Also, going to Albuquerque, you should be able to find numerous salons / spas for this sort of thing. Go for the gusto and why not get a half day treatment. Massage, facial, ped ad manicure. Treat yourself. You deserve it.
Unread 01-31-2004, 11:46 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

I would love to do more, but I will have to choose between the treatments and pick one. Any time one of us leaves town, my dad tags along and my mom is encouraging him to because she doesn't think I am strong enough to make the trip alone. So, even a little deviation for a short treatment will annoy him. Plus, I am already uncomfortable having him there for the physical...

Thanks for the advice. I will try to talk to the spa I found and see if they have any openings and what they think about it all.
Unread 01-31-2004, 11:48 AM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

As for the pedicure.. Oh you should go for it! Pay attention to the things (tools) they use on your feet. Usually they will pull them from a solution of disinfectant right in front of you I really love getting pedicures and your feet feel so great afterward.

As far as waxing. I am a regular waxer.. and it really doesn't irritate my skin much at all and never really did. I can even get my brow done without much irritation. It depends on your skin and how well you can tolerate it. If you do decide to go for it then your legs will stay smooth for a good 2 or 3 weeks before you notice any growth depending on how fast the hair grows. With me, Ive been doing it for awhile and I do not see regrowth until about 6 wks and the hair is much finer and lighter as well. Personally, I prefer the hot (real) wax over the 'sugar' waxing. I get much better results and less irritation overall.
Unread 01-31-2004, 12:05 PM
(Vain) Girlie Questions

As far as the pedicure goes, I agree with everyone else...go for it! Most spas will tell you NOT to cut your toenails before you go as they include that as part of the treatment. I disagree! I work for a podiatrist, (foot doctor), and one of the most common things we see is ingrown toenails, (which can easily become infected). And...one of the biggest culprits is the person doing the pedicure cutting them improperly/too short/not straight across, etc. When I've had pedicures, I always cut my own nails before going in and let them do the soaks, massage, polishing, etc. That will help lessen your chances of a pre-op infection.

As for the leg waxing, I did consider this before my surgery, but opted against it. I had a TAH and never had any problems shaving my legs afterward. I did wait a few days, but did so about 5 days post-op without any trouble.

Good luck with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register