Incision opening | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision opening Incision opening

Unread 05-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Incision opening

Came home from hyster feeling good. Then the incision
started to open with fluid. No Infection just opened and had to go thru home nurses packing the 3 openings. This was the worst thing for me. I did nothing to cause this. Doctor says that it happeneds with some girls that are a little on the bigger side... has anyone had this happen to them???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Re: Incision opening

i had my hyster done on april 2 and about a week after i got home my incision too started leaking.I freaked!I went to me doctor and too there was no infection.I didnt have to have the packing.Mine was just a few pin holes somewhere that was leaking.So yes it is completely normal.My doctor(Who is rated #1 in the nation) told me that the leakage was actually a good type of drainage.But its completely normal...I didnt think it was either.Good Luck.Hope youre feeling better.
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Dear dar069,

Looks like we are not only had surgeries on the same day, but also same post-op experience. My incision started leaking at 3 weeks post-op(last week). I went to my doctor and he put me on antibiotic, cleaned the incision and even made it bigger to increase flow, also he did some packing. He also explained that it will need to heal inside out and may take a while. He also said it happens a lot with bigger girls (one more price to pay). I went to him twice last week and, probably, will go several times this week to clean wound (these visits are not really fun for me).
If you search for "seroma" on this site, you will find a lot info about this problem.
Hope all our problems will go away very soon and we could be back on track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2009, 10:04 PM

I too am a bigger girl, and I came home with my incision open at the end a bit due to them removing my drain tube before I left the hospital. I was concerned as well, and it took four weeks for it to heal up. My doctor told me it is quite normal and is called a seroma.
Unread 05-04-2009, 05:37 AM

I am still battling with an open incision. Mine opened up the day they took the staples out which was March 14 I still have a huge gaping hole through the whole incision. I am a very petite girl mine was from having two surgeries back to back through the same incision. I was also hooked up to a wound vac until thursday of last week (4 weeks in total) and now I am doing the packing. Its no fun at all!!! I would say hang in there it will get better atleast that is what I keep telling myself!!!!
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Got cleared from the home nurses. No more packing!!
But with that said there are large hard bumps inside the incision and when I asked the Dr about them she said that we will have to wait and see if this is the way that I heal..... Or it is more fluid! I have to say that in the long run this may just be the best thing that I did having this surgery but for now... I am not to sure of that. I am so tired. And also moody... but scared to take those replacement pills cause of the side effects. This all is more confusing to me then before.
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Hi Dar,

Glad to hear that the packing is over with hopefully now things will start to level off a little for you and you can get on in your recovery gotta love these little bumps in the roads (NOT!!!!). What replacement pills are you talking about maybe we can offer some advise.. Are you talking about hormone therapy?
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Just seeing this post--a week after my 2nd c-section when i had my staples out, the whole thing opened!!!!!!!!! I too had home health care nuses for 4 weeks and it was so disturbinbg!!! It was like ground beef----I am not a big gir----i had a horrible scar from having to let it heal from the inside out----i ended up having another child and during that c-section after she was safely delivered they knocked me out and did some reconstruction----it was like a cliff hanger----you could see the scar and the "dip of it" through a bathing suit. I am really not that vain and my husband could have cared less but it was uuhhgg!!! I am glad you are done with the "packing!!!" My hyssie was done laproscopically
Unread 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM

It happened to me yesterday, I am only 110 lbs, I have done nothing wrong either. I go to the Dr. Friday
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM

it really sucks!!!! I have been dealing with an open incision since march 14 and believe me I still have a long way to go and still looks gross and hurts like H***.... Good luck to those that are having the same issues (its awful to say but I am so glad that i am not alone)....

Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register