there's no place like home! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Unread 12-05-2000, 08:04 PM
there's no place like home!

I am so happy to be back here reporting in after having my SAH on the 1st. I heard this many times during my pre-op weeks but I have to say it again because it is so very true-the waiting was indeed the hardest part. For all the LIW who will read this I strongly recommend practicing some type of meditation, deep breathing, yoga, anything that can keep you calm during the days before your surgery. It was a constant effort but I really did not want to let fear grab hold of me. I wrote that I was planning on focusing on an image from the Wizard of Oz and I did just that. Even as they were putting the anesthesia into the IV I was singing to myself. Worst part for me was the morphine-didn't agree with me. Once I got off that the next day I felt great! This whole thing went so much more easily than I ever imagined and all I feel now is relief! I asked my doc to take pictures for me and I am so glad I did. I struggled with the decision because even though the ultrasound showed a massively enlarged uterus I wasn't having any heavy bleeding or cramping. Well once I saw the pics of my uterus
that weighed 5lbs and was the size of a volleyball I knew I made the right decision! And it made for good show and tell with the nurses. They all wanted to see them! My experience was exceptionally easy and I feel so blessed. In on Friday am. and home at noon on Sunday. Ovaries were able to stay and pathology showed nothing dangerous. I look better this week after surgery than I did beforehand. All that stress is gone from my face! I am taking advantage of the jumpstart I have on healing by resting and more resting. It's a different experience for me but as a card that I received said-the path will wait while you remove the stone from your shoe! I was so happy to wake up and be alive that all I did was smile afterwards! This site helped me through some rough spots during my waiting and I hope that I can now return the favor by sharing my experience. The important thing is to work on your attitude before you go in. Practice positive visualization, see yourself doing fine and breathe yourself calm even if you have to spend all your waking hours doing so! Be informed and involved in the process. Ask lots of questions. Read everything you can. Laugh as much as possible. Joking is my way of dealing with life anyway and I was cracking them throughout the process. Looks better on your face than crying anyway! By the way, my doc named it Brutus! Thank you all for listening to my story and I hope there are some words of comfort for LIW who read this. Facing a fear and coming out on the other side of it is so empowering!
Blessings, Maggie
SAH for "Brutus" on Dec 1st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2000, 08:57 PM
Brutus the Uterus

Welcome back Maggie! I'm so glad everything went well. You have a great attitude - I'm sure that helps at every step. Get back to resting now!
Unread 12-05-2000, 09:07 PM
there's no place like home!

Maggie=
Welcome home, glad your surgery and hospital stay for the most part were uneventful. Take things slow and remember to rest as much as possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register