Should I keep my cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I keep my cervix? Should I keep my cervix?

Unread 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

Had my pre-op today and thought my consultant had said to me that they would leave as much as possible, which specifically ment my ovaries and my cervix.

today was told i was having a complete TAH(keeping ovaries), including removal of the cervix.

explained the difference, but couldnt really give me any reason to keep or remove it?

i just don't understand why they would take something which isn't necessary.

she suggested that some women have said removal of the cervix has resulted in decreased sexual pleasure, but not a significant number.

if i keep it i will still have to have the usual regular smear tests for cancer, and may get some spotting monthly

any advice would be very welcome, as i have to decide by the day of surgery, 11th, and i'm struggling to have a clear head..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

Hi ellie 64,
I too am having a TAH on the 11th, and am keeping my ovaries. I have done quite a lot of reading and it seems to me that removing the cervix will aleviate the risk of developing cervical cancer. the stories seem really mixed about the affect it has on sexual pleasure. Personally, I can't see it causing any problems for me and my partner. I am looking forward to not having any sort of period ever again because I can't handle the pain anymore. If I was you, I would talk to my gyne some more about this before your op, because if you want to keep it, I think you should be able to. I hope this helps in some way. I know it's frightening, I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping at the moment, but I'm sure we'll all be fine.
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

I don't know when I'll have my surgery yet, but I was told my doctor removes the cervix as a rule. Once it is removed, you are clear of cervical cancer, clear of bleeding and clear of those lovely pap smears. He didn't mention anything about change in pleasure, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

thanks for your quick reply. it is tempting, not having those issues- but once it's gone, can't get it back. stating the obvious.

I'm with you on the trouble sleeping. I've been awake well into the morning for 4 days now, and starting to feel exhausted. Work is manic too, preparing for the time off.

Like you, looking on the bright side - that the waiting is nearly over.
take care
x
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

Hi ellie 64!

A fairly recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. I never was really “aware” of my cervix before my surgery, so losing it made no difference to me.

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

i personally wouldnt have anything healthy removed. the once a year pap tests are a good way to get me to the dr for somewhat of a physical and i think my cervix plays a role in my sexual pleasure.
i wouldnt use anyone that removed something healthy "as a rule". the first dr i went to removes the cervix and ovaries on anyone 45 and over...and i left his office that day and never went back.
i got a second opinion (which i highly suggest). i kept my healthy cervix and ovaries and have no mini periods.
good luck with your decision. do lots of research online and do what you feel is best for you.
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

I had a TAH on 11/01 and of course had the cervix removed. I didn't think twice when the dr. was talking about removing or leaving the cervix as I had had an abnormal pap years ago he said it would be a higher risk of cervical cancer. Not to mention my Mother had cervical cancer in which she fought for about three years and lost the battle.
It really is upto you. My dr. said that now I would only need the pap every three years if I'm sexually active.
I'm sure that whatever you decide to do will the right choice.
Good Luck.
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

Women who lose their uterus and keep their cervix have an increased risk of cervical cancer.

I would discuss your concerns with your doctor. I know a few women who have had total hysterectomies and they have all told me that they wouldn't even know the difference. For me, so far, so good!

Hope this helps!

Take care!!
Christine
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

hello all - I am scheduled for a tah on dec. 21- keeping overies and at the moment loosing cervix. the two dr. i ask - told me i didnt need it and it poses more problems than its worth. that said. im still on the fence about what I want to do.
my concern: sexual pleasure and support for other organs. mine is healthy -at the moment - but the thought of them having to go back in years later if something went wrong. i dont know. not helping much. just venting and sharing my thoughts too.
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Should I keep my cervix?

At my informed consent class, the nurse brought this up (and I was the only one who had read about it). From what I was told, the cervix has one function, that of closing up during pregnancy. Some women like having it bumped during intercourse, but that the lower 2/3 of the vagina + the clitoris are the primary pleasure centers. So whatever floats your boat, I guess.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register