A question for sisters who are a few months out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question for sisters who are a few months out A question for sisters who are a few months out

Unread 04-15-2007, 02:32 AM
A question for sisters who are a few months out

I am so frustrated...I am 9 wks PO and I want to know when things start to return to normal. Like when my belly will not be swollen and I can lift whatever I want and do as much as I have energy for. I was stupid and stubborn and did too much too soon and tore muscles at 4 wks so I am sure this has impacted my swelly belly and lifting abilities, but Im just so irritated. I moved across the country 2 1/2 wks ago and of course I way over did it then and have alot since then because just how does one move and NOT do alot of work?? DH yells at me for being stubborn but I just CANT let or expect him to do it all! I have to be able to fix dinner and do things... its my nature. Well if anyone has some advice for me can make me feel a lil better about all this I would greatly appreciate it.

Carly
31 yrs old TAH 2/7/07 fibroids abnormal bleeding uterus 10 wks size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2007, 06:12 AM

The torn muscles will probably set you back 6-7 weeks from the time you did them. So you might have another week or two just from them. I tore back muscles at work once and it took me 7 weeks before I was cleared for lifting again.
I went back to work at the end of 7 weeks (Feb 2) and it took me another 3 weeks that I didn't hurt at work abdominal wise. There are still some days that its sore but usually that is after lifting a lot of boxes that day or having to lean into the edge of the machinery.
Do you have a spare tv cabinet cart? One that is on wheels that you can use to push the boxes around the house in stead of carrying them? Put laundry baskets on them, unload the boxes into them and push them into the room. Just watch the weight load as you don't want to strain yourself. Or an ice chest on 4 wheels would work too. Just tie a rope around the handle for easier pulling.
Unread 04-15-2007, 06:21 AM

hi, i had my surgery jan 15th. went back for my check up at five weeks out. i still was swollen for awhile after that visit. someone told me that when i lay down to put a ice pack on my belly. wow did that work well. i used it quite often the first week and then just once in awhile after that. my swelly belly was the worst thing for me. felt so bloated and unattractive. i know we all go through it. i still have some discomfort in my belly area. some days it still feels like i just had it done. very tender i guess. i really watched what i lifted for awhile, i was nervous i was going to hurt something. i feel awesome now. best thing i ever did. i hope you start to feel better. just be careful lifting. give it some extra time. you will start to feel better, it really does happen. drink lots of water too. hope you have a good week.
take care.**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2007, 06:40 AM

Hi Carly
I'm sorry you had the move while recovering. That would have been hard for any of us. Tearing the muscles is a set back for sure, but try not to be too discouraged. You will heal, but you're going to have to start taking care of yourself.

One of the biggest keys to recovering well is learning to listen to your body at whatever stage you are in the process. We all want to be 'back to normal' and that's understandable, but very frustrating, if you can't recognize the progress along the way.

Right now, I would suggest that you back away from anything strenuous you have been doing and begin paying close attention to your body and at what point you are beginning to push yourself through the pain or through being so tired you know in your heart you should go lie down for a little while. I beleive that if you'll do this and give your body the rest it needs, plus not continuing to do things that cause you pain, you'll find yourself beginning to feel better, faster. This surgery is a fact of life for you that you can't just ignore like it didn't happen.

The average time for initial recovery is six to eight weeks, as long as there are not complications. At that point most women begin, slowly, to resume regular activities a little at a time. Full recovery often takes from six months to a year. I hope that gives you a little perspective on your nine weeks. I know it seems like you have been recovering forever, but that really isn't the case.

Please stop now and help your body finish this process. If you do this, I think you'll begin to see that there is progress each week. You'll be able to do more all the time and without all this pain and swelling.
Keep us posted on your progress.

's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register