Feels like I'm in prison | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feels like I'm in prison Feels like I'm in prison

Unread 08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Feels like I'm in prison

I just got back from the hospital yesterday. Now please don't laugh, but the whole day today I already feel like I'm in prison. I want my normal life back. I know I'm speaking too soon and I'm probably acting like a spoiled adolescent, (LOL) but I can't stand not being able to walk freely, clean my home the way I want to, and drive all over the place like I used to do. Then this gas is killing me. For the first time this morning, I was able to "ahem" - pass wind, but then after I'd eat something, there goes the gas again. Also, have not had a bowel movement yet as I just started eating solids yesterday. Does it usually take time for a BM after post-op? My doctor encourages me all the time that my life will only get better as days roll on; I just wish time would fly fast so that I can get out of this rut. I want to be active again, do the things that a normal woman does to enjoy life.

Oh gosh. I am rambling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Feels like I'm in prison

Take time to smell the roses and heal like you should. Use this time to reflect on where you've been and where you want to be. I thought this recovery time was going way too slow until time was up and golly gee where did it go??? and just when I was feeling better. LOL
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Feels like I'm in prison

You are my Hyster "angel". Your words offer me wonderful support already. What will I do without the Internet?

Thank you so much for being here for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Feels like I'm in prison

Hi Moonlightlady, Gas-X works great for all the gas pains that your experiencing. Also, if you can start taking stool softeners that will help with your bowel movements. Sometimes I will have a small cup of warm prune juice before bedtime with my stool softeners and I am good to go in the morning. The first few BM are a bit rough sometimes. This may help you. Try to relax and enjoy your free time, it sure will go by fast. How often do us women get a chance like this to heal our bodies and relax a bit. Take it nice and easy and enjoy yourself. Remember we are always here for you to chat with. Take good care Lady, Hugs from me to you. Susan
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Feels like I'm in prison

I, too was just like you are now. I had my DH remove the foil from the bedroom windows (he works shift and it keeps out the daylight) because I was feeling closed in. Not being able to move without pain or discomfort is a bit unnerving, but the more you move and walk, the better your BMS will be.

Take care. Please know that it DOES get better.
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM
I am seven weeks post op

I felt just like you! I ended up watching lots of "Sex in the City DVD's which I was really shocked because I never watched them on HBO only on regular TV and these were the uncensored versions. Anyway....I had my family buy me coloring books and I colored alot of the time. I also read a lot of "Star" magazines for all the gossip on the stars. I also started watching the soap operas. I could not wait to get better and each week that went by I was stronger and able to do more. I am pretty much back to normal now with some twinges here or there. I came home from the hospital with diarhea every 17 minutes (yes, I didn't have anything better to do than to time it,lol) that was a total inconvenience along with the gas. I seemed to have the gas for 4 weeks. GasX worked for me and I was careful, very careful what I ate. I ate Activa yogurt daily.

It will all go by and you will be better. I thought it would never end. At week 4 I was still walking like an old lady and now at week 7, I am walking pretty normal. Still not as fast, but pretty fast and for longer durations. I went through some crying jaggs because I felt uncomfortable and couldn't do much during the first 3-4 weeks and I listened to healing meditation tapes every night because I got myself so worked up that I wasn't healing fast enough (which I actually was). Give it some time. You will be better soon and it will all be behind you.
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Feels like I'm in prison

Oh my gosh how I relate! I am 1 week and 1 day post-op and it hit me hard yesterday. The only thing that helped me was to get out of my bedroom! I spent the first week healing in there and yesterday, I declared it "the dungeon". I felt like I was trapped in there. It helped a little just to change my surroundings. Keep your chin up - they say it gets better.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Feels like I'm in prison

Gosh Moonlight...I truly feel for you! I was "okay" with being in the house the first two weeks, but after that, I too felt like my house was a prison. Even after I was able to drive and get out, I just couldn't do what I wanted all the time because of the incision and the tiredness that would result. Take your time, heal right the first time. I'm going back to work now and it helps TREMENDOUSLY!

As for the constipation, here is the routine I came up with which really worked for me: mini wheats in the morning with 3-4 prunes, stool softener in the evenings with hot peppermint tea. I had one bout of constipation and after that I've been good. I'm weaning off the stool softeners now, but think I will keep the prunes as they are good for you anyway! Keep in touch and best wishes!
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Feels like I'm in prison

There are many things you can do, go for small walks outside, if you don't need to lay down stay out of your bedroom, read, shop on the internet find different forums online about things that interest you. Try not to dwell on the things you can't do and everyday is better..I too thought you could hurry the healing process, but you body has its own timer. One day you wake up and find omg there I am again energy and feeling great. But you need to take it slow and listen to your body or you can overdo it then have to take even longer to heal. I never spent time in my bedroom unless I was taking a nap or sleeping at night. Been taking walks outdoors since my 2nd day out of the hospital, my DH was great he walked with me every day. It actually helped with the gas and bm's too. I've had very few issues in the healing process. Everything will be fine just like your dr said just take it one day at a time.
Unread 08-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Feels like I'm in prison

I have been in the "slammer" now for nearly six weeks and can completely empathize with the feeling of being locked up. As soon as you can try to get out and walk a little. It helps a lot just going outside.

It's kind of aggravating watching your house go downhill and being stuck inside with the mess when you aren't allowed to really do any cleaning. BUT - do not give into the urge to vacuum or do any housework that is more involved than maybe wiping down the counter. At least not for awhile, you will only set yourself back as far as healing resulting in a longer "imprisonment."

Since it's summer, take advantage of the fresh fruits and produce available. Fresh fruits should help with the BM situation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register