No Bending Over | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Bending Over No Bending Over

Unread 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM
No Bending Over

This isn't really a question, but since I read someone else was bending when they shouldn't have, I thought I'd report what my doctor told me. I had my first follow-up at 3 weeks. I had been bending over to shave my legs and to put on shoes. I did not know I wasn't supposed to do that. I guess my doctor forgot to tell me that after my surgery. At my 3 week check up, she told me I could not bend over until 6 weeks recovery. I didn't ask why, but it makes sense. I always felt sick when I bent over. If anyone gets a chance to ask, please report why here. I don't go back for many weeks for my annual check up. I'll ask her then. If you plan to bend over, be sure you check with your doctor first! I found that especially strange since she cleared me to drive at one week or sooner if I felt up to it. I didn't drive until week 4. She even cleared me for sex at week 3, but NO BENDING till week 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Re: No Bending Over

Bending puts stress and pressure on all the internal organs and stitches. Because I also had a boatload of repairs, I couldn't bend, lift, push, pull-literally nothing but walking- for 12 weeks. We heal to 80% by 12 weeks. But my DR also said you can tie your shoes, so use your best judgement. I didn't even try to shave my legs, I used Nair. You'll probably be okay-do you have any pain? I can't believe she cleared you for sex at wk 3. Not something I was even thinking about at wk3 because of the "swelly belly"! Every DR is different, has a different set of rules. I have erred on the side of caution just because I want these repairs to last as long as possible!

Hope this helps. What really would have helped you is your DR being clear as to what her guidelings following surgery are! Grrrr, we are not mind readers!

Best wishes, and hope you continue to heal well!
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM

I wish the doctors would give us a list of do's and don'ts with the statement that every patient is different buttttttt at least we would have an idea and not wait after the fact. It's not like we have this done every year and know what to expect. Some of this we don't think of until it happens or too late. As for shaving the legs ~ I had DH do mine before my first post op appoint. It was cute. He said he didn't know what to do so I told/guided him. He said this was and I was his first. Wasn't I honored . After 26 years of marriage it was funny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:33 PM

My dr. never told me that I wasn't supposed to bend over. When I went to my 1 wk check up, the dr told me no pushing, pulling, tugging, grunting, sex, and most of all no bending over. I really wanted to smack someone. Like don't you think that you should have told me sooner? So basically, I get to sit here and rest. I guess we will see what they say on Monday.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:51 PM

I was super careful about bending for the first 3 weeks because of what I'd read on here. I put on shoes by sitting and crossing one leg over the other so I could reach my foot without bending. Likewise, I was shaving my legs by lying on my back and lifting my legs up so I could reach. (Did a less than satisfactory job, but it was better than looking like a hairy ape, especially since all I can wear is sundresses. )

I'm at four weeks now and am able to bend some without any pain or pulling sensation, but I still try to be careful and not overdo it.

My doctor never said anything specifically about bending. The only instructions he gave me at the hospital or at my 2-week follow up were "no lifting," "no driving for 2 weeks" and "if it hurts, don't do it." I'm so thankful for this forum where I get a lot more detailed info!
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenchurch42 View Post
I was super careful about bending for the first 3 weeks because of what I'd read on here. I put on shoes by sitting and crossing one leg over the other so I could reach my foot without bending. Likewise, I was shaving my legs by lying on my back and lifting my legs up so I could reach. (Did a less than satisfactory job, but it was better than looking like a hairy ape, especially since all I can wear is sundresses. )

I'm at four weeks now and am able to bend some without any pain or pulling sensation, but I still try to be careful and not overdo it.

My doctor never said anything specifically about bending. The only instructions he gave me at the hospital or at my 2-week follow up were "no lifting," "no driving for 2 weeks" and "if it hurts, don't do it." I'm so thankful for this forum where I get a lot more detailed info!
I was given the same advice. My doctor said nothing about bending over. He only told me no lifting or driving for 2 weeks. My mom told me no bending but I didn't listen. I talked to my doctor yesterday about bending over being easier without the glue in my belly button and he didn't tell me I shouldn't do it. So it is true, everyone is different.
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I was never told no bending or no sex all my dr said was no lifting you will be fine. I asked about driving and he said only after you are off pain meds. Everything I learned it was from here. I was bending the first few days then read that I shouldn't. I have only driven twice because I have a very low car and it is hard to get in and out of. I am so happy to have found HysterSisters
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM

I didn't hear anything about bending either... But my belly is so swollen & bruised I don't think I would attempt anyways
As for sex, not until week 8 because of vaginal vault stitches. Fine with me (too much pain to think about that now! Lol)

(((HUGS)))
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM

My doc told me all of that but didn't tell me at my 2 week if I could bend. I have been bending more....feeding the cat, getting things from under the counter, etc. She did say squatting was a little less stressful than bending.

I have noticed that I am feeling some pressure/heaviness between my legs (no pain), like bladder pressure so I've cut out the bending even more and I'm at almost 4 weeks post op. I'll talk to her at my 6 week appt about that.

Just be careful ladies.
Unread 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM

I am 7 weeks post op and feel pressure and tugging when i bend over still, if i do too much it feels sore for a good while after, but its difficult with a 5 years old who covers the floor with toys all over the house, a dog to feed etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register