new LIW preparing to visit the castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new LIW preparing to visit the castle new LIW preparing to visit the castle

Unread 05-18-2001, 11:22 AM
new LIW preparing to visit the castle

Hello all,

I am so impressed with this website - I have been reading for a couple weeks from all areas of the boards and am amazed at the information I have been able to gather! Thank you all for sharing your experiences and pearls of wisdom - it truly makes a difference for us LIW!

Why am I visiting the castle on June 6? Well, after a routine visit to the ob/gyn, having a discussion of some symptoms, examination, followed up by ultrasound which confirmed the presence of a 4 cm complex cyst, we decided to do a lap on 4/24 to remove the cyst. And while in there, DD was going to check for endo, as we both were suspecting this may be a problem but I have never been diagnosed. Well, the short version of this story is the lap could not even proceed, because indeed, a roaring case of Stage IV endo was found and the ob/gyn couldn't even make visual id of the ovary (or the other ovary, or move the uterus or anything else - everything is fused with adhesions - bladder, uterus, ovaries, intestine). Surprise! DD did not proceed further in the lap, as we had not discussed our options if the endo were that bad. DH and I already have two kids (ages 11 and 9), DH had his vasectomy a couple years ago. Given the extensiveness of the endo (multiple endo lesions identified throughout the pelvic cavity), the adhesions, the cyst (which is most likely an endometrioma but since the DD couldn't see it we don't know for sure), a TAH/BSO is my best option at this point. DH is going with me next week for the preop appointment - he's been wonderful! He treated me like a queen after the lap so I should really get the royal treatment after the TAH/BSO! Of course, one of his comments was "why did I get this vasectomy?!" but also followed up with "24/7, 365 - hey, that's OK!" (you all can figure that out....men!)

In preparation for my visit to the castle, we've arranged for my Mom to stay for 3 weeks. Meanwhile I've been preparing my abode:
*stocking up the groceries such as easy, quick instant soups (ones high in fiber, of course, as well as traditional chicken noodle) and juices; of course I am looking forward to the fresh fruit of summer!
*a new chaise lounge chair for summer relaxing outside under the big shade tree
*a pile of books to read - smutty romance novels, some philosophical pieces, and some things I've wanted to read but haven't had time
*some scented candles
*a hystersisters pillow (support this site)!
*a couple of big, squishy king size pillows and a neck pillow
*planted my flowers and the garden (kids are in charge this year of maintenance and harvesting)
*made appointments for haircut; brow, leg and underarm wax (won't need bikini - don't think I'll be in a swimsuit too soon)! No shaving for me for a few weeks post op! But that 1" lap incision at the bikini drove me nuts as the hair regrew - I can only imagine with this larger incision.
*Grandma and Dad deal with kids, school and activities - kids in school until June 15, softball season in progress until end of June.

What have I missed in my preparations?

My questions for you all are:
1. Do you think at 3 weeks post op I will be up for a 2 hour car ride (one way)? DS is going away to camp for 12 days. Of course DH can take him, but the Mom in me wants to go too - or will I regret the long ride there and back? Plus walking once we get there... (The best is, Grandma is taking granddaughter home with her while DS is at camp - leaving me another 10 days of total recoup time - bless my mother! And my daughter is thrilled to have this time with Grandma.)

2. Nausea and vomiting at home - I had a problem with this for the first day after the lap. I am hoping that since I will still be in the hospital, I'll get over it there. As long as I stayed in the lazy boy it wasn't bad, but it would hit me when I got up to go to the bathroom! What have you all found effective for at home? Ginger ale? Crackers? And what about the car ride home triggering it? Can I do something to prevent that?

3. When can gentle exercise beyond walking, for example easy stretching, be started?

Surgery is not fun, but I am not going to miss my monthly period! Yes, I plan to rest, rest, rest because I only have one shot at healing! I've gotten that message loud and clear! I will be the princess this summer! No housework for me! Hee Hee Heeeeeee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2001, 02:31 PM

Dear Cindy, I think you have done your homework very well If you were nauseous from the lap procedure it could have been from the gas they use to do that procedure. You will probaly only see the anithesia (sp)doctor before surgery so tell him how you felt from the last time. Also tell your gyn. Between the both of them orders will be written on your chart if the promblem arises. The trip is debatable since you are not the one driving it would probaly make a difference. At three weeks most of us hit the wall and it can be very uncomfortable. I would also discuss it with your doctor he might not want you to do it. Every doctor is different with thier restrictions. Good luck on your Journey to the Castle. Diane
Unread 05-18-2001, 02:39 PM

Cindy,

I'm glad that you are so happy with HysterSisters! So many of us like being here to support other women.

You are so organized in planning everything!! I'm glad to see that you have help from your family to take care of your children's needs. That's super great!!

As for your question regarding nausea/vomiting. I would let the nurse know who will do your pre-op tests prior to your admission to the hospital. The nurse will make a note of that happening to you after your lap. I also would let your anesthesiologist know the morning of your surgery what happened. They can do different things to try and avoid that happening. But, you must make sure you tell the anesthesiologist and your doctor. They can't read your mind.

Riding in a car does not feel the greatest after surgery. Use a tummy pillow between you and the seat belt. Feels better to have that support. Avoid riding in any car for the first couple weeks. (Ask your doctor when it's okay for you to be riding in a car----other than to and from your post-op check-ups with the doctor) It does not feel the greatest for awhile to be riding in a car. Believe me, you feel every bump on the road!!
Also, unless you have to make a car trip----avoid riding in a car for the first couple weeks. Why? You have many, many stitches that need to heal. You would not want to risk being involved in an automobile accident.

The 2 hour car ride (4 hours round-trip) you should definately ask your doctor about. That's an awful lot of sitting, with seatbelt, bumps in road etc. etc. Also, you may full well know as the time gets closer whether you and your body are up to that escapade. I was not crazy about riding in a car for awhile cuz it was not comfortable. I did not say painful but it just was very different.

Exercising after having a hysterectomy should also be reviewed with your own doctor. Every gal heals differently and what one doctor says is okay for one patient may totally be different from what your doctor allows you to do. I found that walking for exercise made me tire quickly. I knew when to quit because you listen to your body. Your body will let you know when to stop. I stuck around the house the first several weeks. Then, I took short walks in the neighborhood or at the mall. Again, I did not try to push it in terms of speed or distance. EXERCISE SHOULD BE DISCUSSED WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

Cindy, you have come to a great site. We are women supporting women. Please review these issues with your OWN doctor. Each doctor can vary quite a bit in terms of what you should and should not do after surgery. I found this site to be very helpful. I would read things and write them down to ask my OWN doctor about. COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR DOCTOR IS KEY!!

Sending you my very best wishes along with a

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register