In a funk | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
In a funk

Today is just not a good day for me, I just can shake this bad feeling. I am just sad and don't have any idea why. hich stinks because probably feel the best physically since I had surgery. I am finally pain free for the first time in years, so why I am depressed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Re: In a funk

All I can say is hormones. I am sorry you are feeling this way. I felt the same way about 2 weeks post-op too. My problem was is I just wanted to see my kids (athletes) and I wanted to start work.

I have to say that I am miserable as well today. I have no idea what it is. I am Premarin which I know it is not a hormone thing. I am in more pain today than I was during my first 2 weeks of post-op. My hips are in so much pain I can barely do anything (this has been going on for almost my whole 5 weeks of post-op). My incisions hurt and I had to do blood clotting injections in my abdomen and I still have knots from that that are not so comfortable. I can't sleep at night now (had no problems 2 weeks ago) because I can not lay on my hips for long periods of times because they are so sore and I can not lay on my stomach (I am a belly sleeper) because of these knots and this severe pressure in my pelvic region.

Sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread but I feel the sameway as you. All I can say is hang in there that is what I am trying to do.
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Hijack away, I'm sorry you are in so much pain but I am glad someone else knows what I feel like. It's hard to find someone, aside from the sisters on this site, who understands what I am going through after having a hysterectomy at 34. I'm glad I had the surgery, no regrets. just wished I felt happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

That's easy...your body's been through a major trauma. You've experienced a loss. Chances are you've taken many medications, and you've experienced a major change in your lifestyle. You can't do the things you're accustomed to, and you're probably bored out of your mind. During my recovery, I'm planning to take advantage of my recovery time since I'm not working for a couple of months. I want to start reading again, something I haven't done for a long time. I also look forward to cooking and baking more, something that I've cut back on since I went back to work full-time. I may even seek a new hobby, like taking on a new craft, or even picking up a paintbrush for the first time in 25 years. My point is, try to enjoy some of the time you have to yourself. Just work around your limitations. And remember, you have every right to feel lousy, too, nothing wrong with throwing yourself a pity party! The blues are very common after major surgery. If you find you can't pull out of it, turn to a close friend or family member and seek help from your doctor. Good luck!
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

I felt this way too. It seemed that when the physical pain decreased the emotional needs came to the surface. making a journal to identify feelings can be helpful. I found a twisted up ball of fears, frustration, greiving, hopelessness & sadness. I feel better when i can sort those feelings out, name them & identify a way to cope. Many of the fears were unfounded.one example: my family still loves me & I am still a viberant woman even though I no longer have the anatomy i associate with that.
anyway once those tricky thoughts are out & you can look at them & sometimes it can take away the sting of sadness. I was able to get support & problem solve a few other concerns.
I also returned to my old faithful..the thankful journal... where i keep close all the blessings & things that I really an thankful for. It helps to review when i'm feeling blue..has been know to pull me out of a deep funk or two...
We have permission to be sad!!! We are going through a big storm!!!
We have to stick together!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Thank you all! It really does help to hear that I am not alone. I guess I didn't expect to feel like this because I felt that I was really ready for this. I di just have major surgery, even if only have 5 small incisions. I think I need t get out of the house for awhile. Thank goodness for this site and all the wonderful, caring women here!
Unread 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM

I also had a robotic procedure but even though you only have 5 small incisions your body has still gone through a major surgery and add on to that hormones. This is the time to be kind to yourself and allow your body and spirit time to heal. The other issue is allowing yourself to grieve the loss and even if you were ready for the surgery, even longing for it, you may have some emotional baggage to deal with. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Peace
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:10 PM

((((tryingtodecide))))
Big hugs for ya! It really stinks that our bodies play such nasty tricks on us. You no sooner start feeling better and then the hormones take over!
The same thing happened to me.
We are hear for you!
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM

K so you are SOOOOO not alone on this one. I actually just got back from the docs cause I was feeling great last week and then I hit this brick wall this week. He bumped me up on my anit-depressent and said that what I am feeling is completely normal. He said cause it took me so long to actually decide to go through with my hysterectomy that hes not surprised that I feel like this now. After all they did take a major organ out of us. Consider yourself hugged! Sometimes thats all you need
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks, I love you guys! I went to the grocery store and actually feel a little better. I think I needed to get out of the house and do something. Hope everyone else starts to feel better too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register