4 weeks Post op FAT BELLY??! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks Post op FAT BELLY??! 4 weeks Post op FAT BELLY??!

Unread 05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Re: 4 weeks Post op FAT BELLY??!

I'm so glad to see this post!

I went into surgery with the flattest belly I've ever had due to tons of exercise/ab work for the 3 months prior to surgery. I'm now six weeks out and have a definite pooch going on. Now, my whole life, I tend to gain weight in the pooch anyhow, but I haven't really gained any since the surgery.

All along, I've been thinking this is just fat and as soon as I'm permitted to exercise, it'll be fine. However, it's really pretty big - I'm starting to think there must be swelly going on. I'm also pretty bloated all the way around -- I guess it is possible that in 6 weeks I lost all that muscle I put on?.

So, here's my stupid question -- how can I tell the difference between swelly belly/bloat and regular old flab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Amber,

Even with the Da Vinci, they cut through the muscles. You are healing in all manners of ways inside. I could barely pull in my stomach weeks after surgery. I lost 10 pounds overall and did not have the frequent swelly belly that many have had. I was swollen, but I generally took it easy.

I also had the Da Vinci. I think 6-8 weeks at a MINIMUM. Dont' expect all of your insides to heal instantly. For weeks after my surgery, my abdominal muscles would just spasm and shiver. The belly band helped.
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:29 AM

I bought maternity pants...the ones that fold down at the waist. You can get dressy ones for work that way and they are so comfy. I am about 3 months post op and my belly is still big. In the morning it is normal and I even tried to wear my usual pants last week...but by lunch time the swelling started and so then they were way too tight. You should be able to get some pants second hand (seeing as you won't need them for long) on ebay.
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM

oh no. I too have a huge belly, 4 weeks post. The gnyo said it was a bowel blockage and bladder infection and that this pain is not normal. But everything is moving along just fine, so I don't really agree with the obstruction. She seems to think I should be fine by now- feel like I'm taking to long! The one good thing that's come of it so far is she recommended CALM (magnesium drink) from the health food store. I didn't think it would help- but it DOES! Strange but true.
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Hollybea--
did your doctor recommend the CALM drink for a bowel blockage?? All along I have felt like I can never go to the bathroom..in other words like I always have to go and can never have a BM fully. Does this CALM help with that?? I do believe that part of my problem with the swelly belly is that, not all, but part at least.
Unread 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM

YES! Calm is helping. I don't know why, it doesn't seem like it would to read the label, but it does! I am much, much better. Started it on Wed and started feeling better by Thur evening. I am also taking a stool softener, but I didn't really think I had a blockage because BMs were regular, but the gas was killing me. Good luck!
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks Holly--
don't mean to add to TMI but I was going but only "little bits" all the time...and very constipated like even when on stool softeners. I will have to check the health food store for this wonderful CALM! It's worth a try!!
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM

14weeks for me and just recently is the worst swelly belly yet this week...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register