dVH/RALH Confused by where I should be in my hysterectomy recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused by where I should be in my hysterectomy recovery Confused by where I should be in my hysterectomy recovery

Unread 04-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Confused by where I should be in my hysterectomy recovery

Hi ladies,
I am so confused right now. Before my surgery I didn't get a lot of information. I had a new doctor (thank the Lord, she was great and I am so glad I made the switch), and that meant that I didn't get a lot of prep information. I had one consultation with her before heading into surgery. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of research on doctors, in particular with people in the field, and am so glad that I went with her. But, all the information that we got from her office was that I was having a minimally invasive surgery, which meant that I would be up and running at a max of two weeks. So, my husband took two weeks off and people brought food for those two weeks. Then I was on my own! I feel like everyone is expecting me to be back up and running. Two weeks post op, I called in to the nurse and she told me I could drive and go back to work, and pretty much resume life. So I did! Well, I get completely exhausted and even though I generally feel good, I also feel like I want to sleep. I have felt a lot of pulling pains and back pain and feel like I need more time. This past week I started teaching music lessons again and ended up bending to get a book and really hurt one side. Driving hurts, walking hurts. My doctor doesn't even see me post op until 4 weeks and 3 days, so I can't even get an idea of what she thinks. Mostly, I feel all the neighbors, friends, and family all feel that based on what the doctor said, I should be full force. I finally decided after I hurt myself this week, that I was going to demand a little more time. My hyster-sisters were telling me everyone heals differently and that when they say two weeks, it means the incisions and outer healing. I guess I feel like I was told one thing and am experiencing another. Why would they tell me two weeks, and yet now that I found this site, it is more like 6 weeks, 6 months for full healing, and for some a year?! I feel like my doctor's office seems to think I should be back up and running, but my hyster sisters say to rest. My husband even told people not to bring more food. He says that maybe I need more time to recover, but his actions speak louder than words sometimes. I have two young children, and my husband has had extra work this week and I have had them by myself and when he does have off, he expects us both to take the children places. Plus some people at his work have recovered quickly from this procedure, and so they are looking at me like I should be back at it. Anyone else feeling pressured to recover quicker? I don't know whether to get over myself and push through or to demand a little more time for myself. I feel that since I did more last week, there is no turning back to resting more now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Re: Confused by where I should be in my recovery

My doctor assumed me full recovery was no more than 2-3 months and moving/walking immediately was important. You could be developing adhesions/scar tissue and that can be remedied by gradually increasing activity. After laproscopic gallbladder removal I had pulling/tugging pain near 2 incisions and finally after swimming in a friend's pool on day I suddenly realized that pesky pain was gone. I had broken up scar tissue by moving around.

I, respectfully, disagree that recovery is 6-12 months. It is longer if you are thrown thrown into menopause after surgery due to bilateral ovary removal. While we all recover differently, minimally invasive approaches are meant to help you heal faster. Anesthesia is long out of your system, and what you may be fighting is deconditioning which happens fast after any surgery.

Allow yourself rest but gradually increase activity every day.
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine View Post
My doctor assumed me full recovery was no more than 2-3 months and moving/walking immediately was important. You could be developing adhesions/scar tissue and that can be remedied by gradually increasing activity. After laproscopic gallbladder removal I had pulling/tugging pain near 2 incisions and finally after swimming in a friend's pool on day I suddenly realized that pesky pain was gone. I had broken up scar tissue by moving around.

I, respectfully, disagree that recovery is 6-12 months. It is longer if you are thrown thrown into menopause after surgery due to bilateral ovary removal. While we all recover differently, minimally invasive approaches are meant to help you heal faster. Anesthesia is long out of your system, and what you may be fighting is deconditioning which happens fast after any surgery.

Allow yourself rest but gradually increase activity every day.
That helps. Especially the 6 mos part. I can't imagine this taking 6 months to heal. I have been gradually increasing my activity-- did really good the first couple of weeks by first walking in my house, then gradually to the mailbox, then gradually around the cul de sac, then twice a day, etc. But after the two week mark, I started driving, then cleaning a tiny bit, then helping with the kids lunches and prep in the morning, then practicing, then shopping, then teaching. I think the practicing, shopping and getting out into the real world, however, felt a little too much on my body. Is that going too fast? I thought that was gradual! But then I heard people talking about how we shouldn't be pushing a grocery cart. That was hard! The pain is on my side where the incision is, so are you saying that I need to do gradually more activity to work it out or that I went too fast? See, I am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Clicking this link will take you to your personal checkpoints where you will see approximately where you should be in your recovery. This is assuming, of course, that you had no complications and no extra repairs done along with your hysterectomy.
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Re: Confused by where I should be in my hysterectomy recovery

I had a complete hysterectomy with both overies removed via davinci back in Nov. I took 6 weeks off work from a very strenuous job. My doctor kept me off an extra week so I was off a total of 7 weeks. I am a healthy, active, stubborn person so they were LONG weeks. I did not even start feeling human for the first 2 weeks. It took me about 10 weeks before i was not utterly exausted/ achy at the end of a week day. Let your body rest as this is major surgery. Some feel great in 2 weeks. Some take longer. But the important thing to remember is to listen to your body and do/dont do what you can but dont push yourself.
Unread 04-12-2014, 11:28 PM

I am starting to wonder if those who kept their cervix heal faster than those with a cuff.

I'm sorry but With my experience I was barely human after two weeks as well. Some days I feel better and other days I feel just as bad as week one.

I feel very similar to you dsacoda! And I feel like I am letting everyone down. Even my Dr.

And I try to be more active but when I do I am punished for it with much more pain and more discharge. I want to be careful.
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:14 PM

We're all in the same boat. I got conflicting information from the hospital and my OB. I am going with me OB, she's seen me through 3 very rough pregnancies and the mess this has become, I know she wouldn't tell me anything that would hurt or endanger my recovery. I was told 6 weeks of resting with 2 weeks pretty much solid down, full recovery could take a minimum of 6 months. I am 3.5 weeks out from hysterectomy and 2.5 our from fixing a bowel obstruction complication (yay me).

She cleared me to drive but emphasized taking it easy at my 2 week follow up. No lifting, no cleaning, no shopping, and taking a few walks a day. I listen to my body and as soon as things start to pull or hurt I have to get back down. I work from home and was actually working form the hospital so that isn't a issue. I really feel if I hadn't have the complication I would be moving a lot more than I am, not my normal 100% but at least able to handle the stairs more than once a day.

We are going to take a drive this afternoon to see if I can handle picking up my daughter from school again. The huge abdominal incision is giving me the most trouble and I can't sit up for long periods of time.

In the end listen to your body. My OB said that 2/3 weeks friends and family just assume you should be better, we look better, our incisions look better, and they all know someone was up and running a marathon 2 weeks later so you should be too. No, inside we are still a wreck there are internal stiches healing and overall your body recovering from the shock it of it all. I know my body is still trying to figure out what the hell just happened. My family is no different (aside from my amazing husband who is making sure I don't go bonkers and try to clean the house), They are no longer calling to check on me, bringing meals, offering to watch the kids, or help around the house, and I did get the comment from my mom of "boy your taking a long time to recover"...

Give yourself time to heal.
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Thank you so much, ladies! I think I have discovered that I started off correct- I wasn't doing anything but gradually walking more and more. Since the 2 week mark, I think I started doing things too quickly. I was so happy the first two weeks with my recovery, but felt pressured after two weeks and then suddenly tried to take too much on. I have decided to really LISTEN to my body. I don't care what anyone says. Today I did help my children clean, but pretty much just told them where to put things. They were awesome. At one point, my son (8) said "Mommy, don't bend!" Then I wiped down tables, and cleared dishes. I used this opportunity to teach my son how to vacuum. He was so proud! Good Mommy move. I taught a lesson today, mostly sitting. And then I went to the movies with my kids. I am still confused by the pulling pains... They usually hurt after I have been standing for a while or driving. I don't know whether it is a good thing that I am working through them, or whether that is a signal to go lay down. If I hold my sides in with my hands, then it feels so much better. Maybe I need to get a support band of some sort.I usually do way too much, and so it is hard for me to slow down. But, to tell you the truth, I have enjoyed this recovery and slowing down! And so I really want to just allow this for myself for once-- who knows when I will ever get the opportunity to take care of myself this well! Heal carefully, ladies. As they say on this site, you only have one chance to do it right!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register