Scheduled LAVH What were the must haves? Plus... other things.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What were the must haves? Plus... other things.... What were the must haves? Plus... other things....

Unread 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM
What were the must haves? Plus... other things....

I am starting to get really about the surgery...

And I feel like I should be doing things to get ready...

I am going to go get waxed on Wed... I figured who wants to feel like crap and be hairy too...

I have been reading about swelly belly should I buy something for that?

Also should I buy some easy dresses? Will pants hurt?

What did you do in your bedroom? Will I really need one of those grabbers?

I was talking to my husband last night ... and he is a sweety... but I don't think he gets it...

He is going back to work on the Monday after the surgery....

He does cattle work so he has to go breed cows for somebody... plus he has to take care of our cows...

And the next day after my surgery is the start of spring break so both kids are going be around the house... all day....

Age 14 girl and age 3 boy and they pick at each other all day...

My Mom was supposed to come help me but now she can't... I am just thinking Oh crap this is really gonna stink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Re: What were the must haves? Plus... other things....

Different folks have different instructions, but you might double check with your doctor about the waxing. My instructions said no shaving or waxing 10 days before surgery to reduce chance of infection.

I used my grabber for a few days after I came home. If I dropped my book or the remote I was very glad to have it. Of course it didn't help when I dropped the grabber! :-)

Following suggestions here, I got a couple pair of inexpensive knit yoga/sweat pants a couple sizes too big. Those have been my mainstays. From reading here, it may make a difference what kind of incision you have.

Someone else will have suggestions about the kids!

Best of luck!
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM

I will not be having my surgery until the 22nd so I am not speaking from experience! I just wanted to suggest that you have a sit down heart to heart with your daughter and let her know how much you will need her to help not only you but also take care of your little one. She is plenty old enough to help out. Maybe some cash as an incentive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM

I am If I made my Daughter sound bad.... I just know she is going to be really bummed it is her spring break and she is not going to get to do anything fun because of me...

And my son is being a typical 3 year old and is in her shadow all day long

I was hoping one of my friends was going to be able to take them some but she has to work... there is a chance they are going to get to go to the open house for the Center for Great Apes...

It is such a neat place and I have been there .... but they have not...
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Goodness no! I wasn't thinking your daughter was bad...just 14! I'm sure if you tell her how much you are really going to NEED her, she will be happy to help you out. Good luck!!
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellywalker View Post
I am starting to get really scared about the surgery...I have been reading about swelly belly should I buy something for that? Also should I buy some easy dresses? Will pants hurt? What did you do in your bedroom? Will I really need one of those grabbers? Age 14 girl and age 3 boy and they pick at each other all day...
I didn't buy anything for the swelly belly, but I think some of it depends on wha type of surgery one is having. I never really had swelly belly until I went back to work 6 weeks post op and was overdoing it. I know some really like the one sold on this web site. Since my surgery was in January and I live where it's cold, I bought sweats. Never wore them unless I was going out of the house. I wore my pajamas all the time inside to be comfy, and ended up buying extra pajamas (good time to buy since it was clearance on winter stuff). Wish I hadn't bought so many pairs of sweat pants. Since you'll have some stitches you won't want anything that will rub on them I don't think.

I had one of those grabbers, but never thought about it until my DH went back to work and then there was no way I could bend over to get it out of the cupboard where I keep it. I just kept everything nearby or waited until DS got home from school and had him pick things up. DS is 16 and was wonderful as was my DH (and they still are after 9 weeks post op)!

I would bet if you talk to both your DD and DS and explain that mom's having some major surgery, you'll be okay but in pain, and need both of them to help and not fight that they may be on their best behavior. It always amazes me how kids, no matter what age, seem to know when mom's not feeling good. I have grandkids ages 4, 2-1/2, and 18 months, and they were very helpful if they came to see me and extremely gentle because they knew I had a "tummy owie."

Best of luck with your surgery. Put yourself first and don't overdo it. It takes time to heal and remember even if you don't seem much on the outside there are a lot of stitches on the inside that need to heal. Pamper the princess!
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Just had my LAVH on March 8th. The best thing I bought was the granny panties and those velour sweats in TWO sizes bigger. Even with the LAVH you will have an incision close to belly button and I had three more small ones on bikini line. My dr used staples also. As far as children I was blessed with my 20 month old granddaughter one week post-op and the hardest part is when she wants to be picked up. You will be surprised how much actual picking up you do...high chair, into and out of bathtub, crib etc....so be careful. And like meganpop said it would be a great idea if you can afford it to pay your daughter or give her something really special because she will be doing the lifting if nothing else and take it from my husband just being available 24/7 is exhausting even if you dont need something lol...
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM

I prepared and froze meals before I went to the hospital and that was a great help for my hubby. I wish I had done more. I made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup and froze it in individual containers. I didn't have much of an appetite for about a week, but that soup tasted delicious.

Remember that even when you look healed on the outside, you'll still be healing on the inside so take it very easy. Don't overdo it. Let your family do all the chores while you recuperate.

I used one of those U shaped neck pillows alot, also a heating pad for my back, GasX, MiraLax. Lots and lots of pillows!! I sit on them, put them behind my back, rest one on top of my belly. I have slip on slippers with the outside sole. Great for when I want to go outside and take a short, slow walk and don't want to mess with tying sneakers. Take a pillow in the car to put between you and the seatbelt. I didn't buy a grabber, but I am wearing a binder which helps me feel secure and protected.

Drink lots of fluids and walk around the house. No lifting or housework!!!! Good luck!!
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:57 AM

Best of luck to you with your surgery!
The things I could not have made it through without are:
1. my cell phone with all calls forwarded to my DH, but texts came to me. I could read well wished when I felt like it, and everyone knew they could call or text to check on me without disturbing me.
2. my heating pad. It felt sooooo good on my sore tummy
3. really big pajama pants. Soft and comfy. Had a drawstring so I could adjust.
4, Granny panties. Don't laugh. They came way up over the incisions and did not hurt.
4. pillows, pillows and more pillows. I had 3 under my head, one to curl on my side with, 2 to support my back and a soft feather one to lay on my tummy to protect it from cat pouncing and to hold when I coughed/sneezed.laughed.
5. I also froze meals ahead, and ladies from my church supplied dinners for 2 weeks.
6. I filled my DVR before surgery with movies and TV specials that I wanted to watch so there was always something on, no matter what time of day or night.
7. Now that I am 3 weeks past surgery, I really wish I had some flowy dresses or jumpers because my tummy still swells badly and pants are impossible. You can't just wear pjs EVERYWHERE! Or so I am told.....
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM

BY FAR, the most important thing is to have the house ready. I found that absolutely invaluable when I came home:

1. pre-made meals frozen (the more, the better). You will be eating these for weeks. I made chicken soup, stuffed shells, and meatballs and sauce. I actually wished I had made more. This way I could easily make meals myself with very little effort.

2. Do at least two weeks' grocery shopping before so you don't have to rely on anyone for this. No one can shop for you like you. Make sure you get all the comfort foods you like.

3. Clean the heck out of the house, and make sure every last bit of laundry is done, and beds already changed. This way the house stayed respectable for a couple weeks.

4. Have lots of pad and pantiliners on hand.

I didn't bother with any reading materials or activities to do at home. I was too busy resting and didn't want to do anything but watch TV!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register