surgery in one month | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in one month surgery in one month

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:59 PM
surgery in one month

Hi, I am 38, never been married and have a lifetim of disgusting painful periods, I suffe endometriosis and have 10 fibroids that have grown over 50% in last year. I am currenl nemployed and have been bleeding a lot lately with a 4 month pregnant stomach. I am "ok" with the surgery , but what has been WEIRDis the reactions I am getting from other women, friends, family, neighbors, lik I am making a huge mistake. I personally never thought my uterus defined me, am I missing something? I am way more cncerned about what I can be pre-op for a better recovery and want to know what I will feel like when I wake up? I live alone and will do most of it myself....even taking a taxi to hospital....I am more panic stuck over worrying about pain and getting fat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 07:45 PM
surgery in one month

Hi Avolanski and welcome!

No, you're not missing something....you certainly are not defined by your uterus! I think that most of us have had some inconsiderate things said to us regarding this surgery. Often times it seems to come in the form of misinformed well wishers thinking they are doing us a favor.

It sounds as if you have been down a long road and are making an informed decision. If there is any doubt, a second or even third physician opinion can always be sought.

There is lots of information here on the HS site regarding pre-op and post-op preparations. If you go to the HS Homepage and scroll down, you will see the titles and drop-down menus with the information, in addition to the posts.

I didn't have my surgery for fibroids, but there are a lot of the ladies who did or who are going to. I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions and sharing of experiences.

Best wishes and s
Unread 03-10-2002, 04:42 AM
surgery in one month

Hi, welcome to the site!

I am sorry that people are not being sensitive enough towards you...defined by your uterus, how shallow is that?! I didn't really have that reaction, but, I only told my family and close friends. I'm sure I would have run across that somewhere down the line.

Do you know for sure that you have fibroids? The reason I'm asking is that I too thought I had them. Turned out to be scar tissue masses. My uterus was given 2 different u/s by 2 different people. One was a tech, one was a doctor. Even the doctors that did the surgery thought they were fibroids. Makes you realize that once they open you up, you may not know what's going on!

Have you had more than one opinion?

Good luck in your surgery, there is a ton of great info. on this site!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 05:19 AM
surgery in one month

No your missing anything and I believe you won't miss your uterus in the least. You have some inconsiderate people in your life and really should be supportive of you. I guess the only question I would have is do you have Children and do you want them? I am assuming no since you are going to have a hyster.

I didn't really get any bad reactions from anyone. I was very fortunate. My mother would just look at me and say "I wish you didn't have to go through this surgery" Meaning any surgery.

If you are concerned about the pain you need to talk to your doctor about the type of pain control he/she uses for patiences. My Doctor was very generous with pain meds. Some doctors are not as generous. Check and see that will put your mine to rest.

Since you'll be alone during your recovery make sure you don't over do it. You need lots of sleep time and just laying around time. IT took me at least 2 weeks before I wasn't so tired that I could actually get up and take a shower get dressed without taking a nap. Plan lots of nap times all day long.

You'll be glad when it is over with. THe waiting is the hardest part of the whole experience.

Sparkler,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register