What to expect post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect post op? What to expect post op?

Unread 10-30-2006, 01:53 AM
What to expect post op?

I am post-op tvh, rt ovarian cystectomy, vag vault suspension, anterior repair, tvt, enterocele repair and perineorraphy on 9/27/06. Had my doc visit last week and was told that all the internal stitches are still present and that i cannot lift anything over 5lbs and no sex for another month....ugh! I just started back to work 3rd shift today and I am completely and totally exhausted. When praytell will I feel back to normal???? I feel guilty feeling this tired. I also must confess, that I severely underestimated this surgery, thought I'd be out dancing by the weekend !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 02:23 AM
What to expect post op?

I had TVH and nothing else 9-25. I can not believe you are back at work. I get throught a few hours of nothing much and have to rest! Could you not get more time off? I got 8 weeks from my Dr to recoup!It takes months to get our energy back. I dread going back at 8 weeks! Hang in there and rest ALL you can!
Unread 10-30-2006, 03:16 AM
What to expect post op?

Schmoey-

There's no way at 4 weeks I could have returned to work. And though I had an abdominal incision, here I am cringing at your list of repairs saying to myself 'that would have been worse'.

If you think its too much, you need to advise your Dr. I was very tired, doing 'nothing' through my 5th week. I was a little better my 6th week. Returned part time my 7th week (and really the 1st day was awful but by the end of week it was ok). This will be my 2nd week back full time and that's ok, at 9 weeks.

So kind of in answer to your question, I would think over the next month your energy should return. We are all different though, yours might return faster over the next couple weeks or take a little longer. I would tell my Dr though if I felt my current working schedule was either too exhausting (so slowing down my healing) or I was unable to fully concentrate (so could be at risk to my physical well being along with my co-workers.

I hope your feeling better soon,

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
What to expect post op?

I had rectocele repair and perineorraphy (and labiaplasty), and I'm still experiencing a lot of discomfort when standing or sitting for too awfully long...and I'm still getting real tired. I'd see if you could get some more time off work. You may not have the large abdominal incision, but it was still major surgery!

Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2006, 06:36 AM
What to expect post op?

Everyone heals at different rates. I had a LAVH/BSO with no other repairs, that I am aware of..my 6 week check up is next week and will find out more then. It is a long hard journey recovering from this, but for me it wasn't all that bad...more annoying.

If work is too much take more time off for you. I wish you luck and praying for a good recovery!
Unread 10-30-2006, 07:09 AM
What to expect post op?

The fatigue part was what really surprised me.
You had alot done...and your body is working hard to heal.
Take it slow, because it's a long process.
Unread 10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
What to expect post op?

Hi (((schmoey)))
I agree with the others here that this is probably way to early for you to be back to work. You had too many repairs done to be healed yet. The average initial healing time for just a hysterectomy is six to eight weeks. You haven't even reached that yet and the more work you have done the longer it takes to heal.
Please don't feel guilty, you aren't abnormal at all,it just takes that long. I don't want to see you hurt yourself or set yourself back. I hope you can work something out to put off working of negotiate for shorter hours. This concerns me for you, please be careful.
You might benefit from looking through the Checkpoints for some information on what to expect during your recovery. It will give you more of an idea of what's normal. We are all different and heal at different rates, but what you had done is more than most and you need to allow your body to heal at it's own pace.
It's good to have you with us. Please keep us posted and do take care of yourself.
's,Rita
Unread 10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
What to expect post op?

Thank you all so much for advice. I unfortunately, cannot financially afford to be out of work any longer! I am 2 days back to work and other than a few minor aches and pains and some fatigue, overall feel pretty good!!! Fortunately, my job doesn't require anything too physical! I sit at a desk, answer the switchboard and register patients for an emergency room! I am so happy to have found this site and all of you! Thank you again!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register