Blood Sugar issues (pregs mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Sugar issues (pregs mentioned) Blood Sugar issues (pregs mentioned)

Unread 04-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Blood Sugar issues (pregs mentioned)

Hey Gals,
I have pre-diabetes my biggest issue is my body can't regulate my blood sugars well enough so it will let them get crazy high then drop them like a brick off a bridge. These leaves me feeling pretty darn crappy! I really only had these severe ups and downs when I was pregnant and had Gestational Diabetes. Out of my 5 kids 3 I had confirmed GD and 1 was on metformin and the last was so bad I was on insulin.

Lately I've been getting that feeling I had when I was pregnant before they put me on insulin so I decided to start doing checks on my blood sugar and of course its doing its thang it likes to do.. Gest Diabetes happens because the placenta jacks with your hormones which jacks with your insulin regulation. So I was thinking and yes I researched but can't find anything clear on it, but if your hormones are all whacked out from girly issues and obviously mine aren't right could that be causing the GD effects?

Has anyone had GD and issues after and been able to possibly link nausea, headaches etc to the last 2 weeks of the cycle? I'm just wondering if this hysterectomy will either fix my diabetic issues or make them worse? I already follow a pretty good diabetic diet with a brownie here and there But dh did point out that lately I havent been eating much so maybe that has something to do with it. I just feel overall way to cruddy to eat... ugh! I'm going back on the good ole Glucerna drinks 3x a day to try to see if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Re: Blood Sugar issues (pregs mentioned)

I had gestational diabetes with my second child. Following my hysterectomy, I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia.

While I don't tract my cycles closely at all, my DH and I believe that there is a connection between my cycles and my sugars. A friend of mine has Type 1 diabetes (she uses an insulin pump) and her sugars can be harder to control at certain times of her cycle.

Estrogen and progesterone counteract the effects of insulin in our bodies. Thus, when these hormones are high, our blood glucose may also be high. When levels of these hormones fall, our blood glucose may be lower than we expect.

You might want to talk to your doctors about what you are experiencing and see if s/he has some suggestions for you! Working with a nutritionist and dietitian have helped me in the past.

Unread 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM

About a year ago I got an app on my iphone to start tracking my periods because I would forget when I should start, of course thats also about the time I went from being semi-regular to crazy irregular. But I document symptoms daily, nausea, headaches, breast tenderness, discharge, pain etc... and reviewing my archives my nausea always starts about the week I should ovulate and lasts until about a week after the flow ends, which is about the amount of time I have the most pain etc. So I knew they nausea had to be connected to the menstural cycle somehow, but it was way to similar to that pregnancy/GD nausea I had so I tracked sugars for a few days and I'm 170 2 hours after eating and then 3 hours after eating I'm 80 so I just plummit and I have to eat something sugary to get it back up to feel ok again. dh says I need to get back to eating every 2 hours even if its crackers so I guess I'll try that and keep tracking sugars and see how it goes. I just hope that since it all seems to be hormone related that the hyster (I'm getting ovaries and all that jazz gone) will possibly help it. hypoglycemia wouldnt be so bad for me lol, I could eat some sugar to bring it up, yummy! i havent ante much sugar for years!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Um, hypoglycemia can be bad, too, and a precursor to diabetes. My sugars can spike and then crash, just as you mention. Being hypoglycemia does not allow one to have sugar. We have to avoid it just like anyone with blood sugar issues. And having hypoglycemia does not mean my sugars are only always low.

If you are eating sugar to bring your sugar up, you are causing yet another spike and crash. And yes, I have been guilty of doing that myself, especially when I am crashing in town. Then I grab a . I used to grab orange juice but most stores have stopped carrying it in single servings in the cold drinks section. But if I don't eat something really quick, I am going to crash again, likely worse than I had already done. Pepsi and other sugary, caffeinated drinks are actually s for those of us with sugar issues!

Rather than bringing your sugar levels up with sugar, it is better to bring it up with a combination of some quick carbs but also something more nutritional and long lasting. Crackers and cheese for instance. Or one of my doctors recommends his patients with sugar issues keep almonds handy and graze on them throughout the day.

Also, if you eat things high in fat or try to bring your sugar up with something high in fat, it could backfire on you. Fat slows down the conversion of the food to glucose.

This can be a very complex issue and trying to find the right HRT balance following your oophorectomy might be a bit more difficult if you are having sugar issues. So again, I would advise you to talk to your doctor.

Take care! s
Unread 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM

I know I know lol... I was hypoglycemic all my teenage years until my 2nd pregnancy when i was 21 and it all changed. I'm a Coke Zero gal, I actually get excited when I go to a resturaunt and they have coke zero, diet coke makes me gag! I remember when I was preggers with the baby the nutritionist told me i had to eat eggs and nuts for breakfast, every single time I did I vomited, eggs were not in agreement with my pregnant tastebuds. I try to eat a boiled egg for breakfast every day, but my fabulous hubs decided to make 3 dozen easter eggs then make them into deviled eggs and forgot to buy more or add eggs to the list. I usually boil about 5 at a time so I dont have to do it daily. I've been too nauseaus to eat so I didnt pay attention that we were out of eggs until I was making meatloaf and had all the ingredients in the bowl except the eggs!!

I really really need an excuse to have some red velvet cake so a low blood sugar would be ok with me for a minute lol
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I am pre diabetic and pre hypertention and my doctor told me that my levels may level out after my hyster. The hormones are messing with everything. Carrying this extra uterus and fibroid weight can contribute to both.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register