2 part question-Rectocele repair and FMLA | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 part question-Rectocele repair and FMLA 2 part question-Rectocele repair and FMLA

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
2 part question-Rectocele repair and FMLA

Ok, I just came from the pelvic floor PT and she now feels that while we made huge progress on pelvic floor and cystocele, the rectocele is a defect and needs surgery. She and my DR both say 20 minutes, just a small incision and a couple of stitches in the muscle and a very easy recovery. Now my hyst has been anything but easy (insomnia, a 6 week virus that won't go away) my pelvic floor falling). I trust the therapists opinion completey and she says do it now rather than let it get larger and more involved. Does this sound accurate?

Question #2 for you more versed in HR stuff...I have been off 14 weeks and just went back to work last week 4 days a week. My FMLA weeks are up. I am in management and have been with the company 32 years.
I think we do a 12 month rolling FMLA> Does it make any difference if I stay on shorter weeks and then go right into surgery or should I have Dr release me for full duty and then have the second surgery? I can't ask HR as I don't want them to know till I have a date.

I know you all aren't legal experts but I know there are some VERY sharp ladies out there who may have some advise! Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Well, sorry but I just can't see this 20 minutes thing, but I am happy to be corrected!!!I do agree with having it done sooner rather than later though as it only gets worse in my opinion.
Bad luck Kathiem, you tried! But I was like you, I improved the cystocele and the vault, but did nothing for the rectocele with PT.
Sorry don't know anything about the HR issues. Take care. Hugs xx
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Hi Scriv....I hoped I would hear from you! I want to just get this over with ASAP. I just want to be over this stupid virus first. Too bad I will be missing the busiest time of the year (not!) Karma for my boss being such an insensitive jerk!

What was your recovery really like and would you do it over? I am so glad I did the PT. It did so much good. She feels that once this rectocele is fixed everything will really fall in to place. My job is a nightmare and I know if I delay this will trun into a much bigger project.

Thanks for the hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Kathiem,
Sorry I don't have any advice for you. I'm glad you took the PTs advice and didn't work til after the first of the year. I remember you talking about what an *** he had been when you first tried going back to work. Did he realize what a gem he had in you while you were gone? Surely he doesn't want you to get worse than what you are now. I don't know much about the FMLA, but would this be considered a different surgery and a separate illness? I hope things get better for you soon, and that the next surgery goes extra good.
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Here is the a FMLA article we have that might be helpful: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_232218.htm.

You may also want to do a search regarding rectoceles in the Resource Database.

Unread 01-06-2007, 03:46 AM

Hi kathiem...

Yes, I would do the rectocele repair over, the difference is amazing. All is normal there now and sooo much more comfortable.
The recovery period is quite uncomfortable, I have to say.You can't sit down normally for about 4 weeks....I reclined a lot, or used a cushion.However, it was an uncomfortable rather than a painful time, and quite localised if you understand what I am trying to say.I can cope with localised discomfort so much better than internal stuff.
That is just my experience though.It does depend on how much you have to have done.If your doctor thinks it is only a minor repair, you might well sail through it. I hope so.
I know that my recovery from this op has been problematic, but it was from my reaction to stitches and the state of my vagnal tissues, not from the rectocele repair itself.I'm sure you will be fine.
And I am still delighted that I did the PT - even now. I can feel the kegels, so they must be doing good, don't you think?
I'd say, follow the advice.Get it over and done with then you will eventually be sitting comfortably once more.....
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi Scriv, So good to hear a good report. I seem to get from the posts here that the bladder part of things really seems to be the worst along with the rectocele with mesh. My PT and Dr think just a couple of stitches and a small incision will do the trick. I am not looking forward to the painful part. I had almost no pain from the hyst. However now that I am back to work and on my feet all the time my lower back and groin hurt and there is an ache in my rectal area. I can not complete a bowel movement without helping it alone (if you know what I mean) Really tired of that! I am very afraid of it getting worse and want to get it done know while it is still a small repair (PT totally wants me to do that) altho I am so afraid of complications I stop and wonder if I can just live with all of the above.

The PT checked strength yesterday when I though I had undone everything and it was still really good. She thinks this repair will be the final piece. I don't regret a dime I spent on it (my insurance would not cover it) I never leak when I sneeze anymore and the whole area just feels stronger. She even straightened my bent tailbone, which just amazes me!!! She thinks the rectocele is keeping that from staying put too. I still have the donut I bought when I hurt my tailbone. Sounds like it will be getting alot of use.

I was planning a long plane trip across country to see my son and PT told me I would be able to do that a week or so after surgery. That does not sound too accurate from the experiences I am reading here.

Thank you so much again for all the reassurance. As with the hyst, I really don't see a way out. I am just going to have to hope for the best and deal with whatever comes along. I can't wait to see the look on my eveil bosses face when I drop the news on him!

Take care!! Kathie
Unread 01-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Question #2 for you more versed in HR stuff...I have been off 14 weeks and just went back to work last week 4 days a week. My FMLA weeks are up. I am in management and have been with the company 32 years.
I think we do a 12 month rolling FMLA> Does it make any difference if I stay on shorter weeks and then go right into surgery or should I have Dr release me for full duty and then have the second surgery? I can't ask HR as I don't want them to know till I have a date.

I know you all aren't legal experts but I know there are some VERY sharp ladies out there who may have some advise! Thanks for your input. [/quote]

As you mentioned we are not legal experts but may have opinions or some knowledge on the FMLA.

I do work as an HR assistant and have some knowledge on FMLA. Each company has their own rules on FMLA.

At the company that I work for we have a rolling FMLA based on a January-December calendar year. We also have a clause that if you use your full 12 weeks of FMLA, then you are not eligible again for a year after the ending of your last FMLA.

Example, when I had my surgery I did submit for FMLA (but it was rejected, as I was paid for my entire time off due to my position in the company). Had my FMLA not been rejected and I would have used all of the 12 weeks 1-31-06 thru 4-28-06, I would not have been eligible again for my FMLA until 4-28-07.

Being that I did go back to work early (day 9 post op) minimal days and hours. I was back to work fulltime at week seven. Had the company used my FMLA, and the fact that I did go back part time I would have only used 17 days of FMLA. Even though my FMLA was rejected I still kept track like I would have for any other employee at the company.

Even though you are not wanting to talk to them until you know more information I would suggest you talk to your HR department to see what their regulations are on FMLA. Every company is different.

Good luck and I hope that you get your answers regarding FMLA.
Unread 01-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Thank you for answering. I was also paid full pay for my entire 14 weeks and now get full pay even tho I am working only 4 days. HR told me they might have evaluated pay if I could only work 3 days.

My company does a rolling 12 months so I have used up my 12 weeks. I will have to take another 6 weeks or so for the repair. 20 years ago when I had my baby I had up to 26 weeks off full pay for medical absense. The time you are eligible for grows with time with company. I should have even more than that now. I guess my question is ...what happens when you have used up your 12 weeks FMLA and have to go out again????

I am going to call the HR rep Monday. We have a good relationship and I will see what she has to say. You want to think that with 32 years and a really great reputation your company will work with you!
Unread 01-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Kathi,

Something to think about, since your company seems to have a very generous medical leave policy..Did you actually submit paperwork requesting that the FMLA be invoked? Was it signed by yourself and appropriate officials? If the answer is no...then legally you may have been on sick leave...and might just have 12 more weeks of FMLA available. Call a good employment law professional.....most charge $100/$200 for an hour consult. It may be worth it to know your rights and get a strategy in place before you speak to anyone within the company (trusted or untrusted). With these things you never know who your friends are, and the good 'ole boys do have a tendency to cover their behinds, so even a most trusted co-worker might share information that you do not want shared, with management. For a company as large as yours there should be a written implementation policy regarding FMLA and the use of sick leave. You might want to go armed with that to your Employment Law attorney.

Don't fall into the "with 32 years" trap. Companies are only interested in one thing, which is their bottom line profit margin. Most don't give a rip about their employees. The number of layed off, downsized tenured employees these days is evidence of that mentality.

Good luck on that repair. As I have said before, My repair was not as bad as I had anticipated. Is the Dr going through the vagina? That was how mine was done and I had very little pain. The first BM was uncomfortable but the stoof softeners worked wonders...along with lots of bran muffins and water I really did feel much better in about 1 week. At week one I took a trip updown and had lunch with my Hubby for about 3 hours and even wore my fitted trousers. So with the TVH, and the TVT added to the rectocele repar....even at one week things went fairly well. This time you know what to expect too! I did not even have to do anything beyond a suppository and enema for the bowel prep so if he even mentions the word Phospho soda...protest!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register