I don't want my mom to leave! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't want my mom to leave! I don't want my mom to leave!

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't want my mom to leave!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op for me.I feel ok,still in some pain.My doctor wants me off the Vicodin after tomorrow.I don't see how I am going to make it on just Advil.

But my mom has been here with me for the last 2 weeks,so I haven't had to do very much.I did cook dinner one night and i fix myself something to eat when I am hungry.But I just don't want her to go home.I am wondering how I am going to take care of everything.

My DH works nights,and then pretty much sleeps all day until it is time to get up and ready to go back to work.I do have my 9 yr old here with me,she has been really good about helping my mom.But she is a little brat when it comes to helping me.

I see the doctor on Thursday(the 26th) for my 3 week post-op.Not sure what restrictions he is going to remove.I can drive starting tomorrow.I do have some things in the freezer that I can just thaw and heat up for dinner.So I guess I will make do.

I guess I am just being selfish,but I don't want her to leave yet!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM

if you are still having some pain, you might want to ask your dr to call you in some prescription motrin. it works really well.
that was sweet that your mom came for two weeks to help you.
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:35 PM

My Mom came to visit for my surgery as well, but she LOVES to fuss over me and it drives me NUTS. She left the day I came home from the castle!

I am taking prescrip Ibuprofen with Tyl 3 w/codeine. The combo works great for me. I stopped taking the narcotic pain pills on the 3rd day, I started having night terrors. I would ask your DR to prescribe you some kind of pain relief that is not a narcotic.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaslady73
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op for me.I feel ok,still in some pain.My doctor wants me off the Vicodin after tomorrow.I don't see how I am going to make it on just Advil.

But my mom has been here with me for the last 2 weeks,so I haven't had to do very much.I did cook dinner one night and i fix myself something to eat when I am hungry.But I just don't want her to go home.I am wondering how I am going to take care of everything.

My DH works nights,and then pretty much sleeps all day until it is time to get up and ready to go back to work.I do have my 9 yr old here with me,she has been really good about helping my mom.But she is a little brat when it comes to helping me.

I see the doctor on Thursday(the 26th) for my 3 week post-op.Not sure what restrictions he is going to remove.I can drive starting tomorrow.I do have some things in the freezer that I can just thaw and heat up for dinner.So I guess I will make do.

I guess I am just being selfish,but I don't want her to leave yet!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM

I would also ask for a non-narcotic pain reliever. I was able to switch over from vicodin to Motrin 800/tylenol without much of a problem.

I know how you feel about your mom...my mom is only a mile away but she had DH and I take the kids and stay there for a few days after I came home. Well, what was supposed to be 3 days turned into 10! I just wasn't ready to leave and the day I came home I sat on the stairs and bawled! The sleeping ovaries didn't help much either At least I knew that while were at my mom's I would have lots of help with the kiddos and then DH could take over when he got done work without having to do dinner, baths, laundry and everything. It worked out really well and with everyone pitching in, no one person got the brunt of the load.

I know this has gotten long, but while we were there my oldest son had to make a Longhouse for a project for school and one night my mom came out after getting the baby ready for bed and said that she thought they owned enough property to build a real "longhouse" and we could just all live together - the kids cheered and I decided that I better go home the next day before they got that idea stuck in their heads

Good luck and I hope the rest of your recovery is easy and quick!
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Could grandma talk to your daughter and ask her to help Grandma by behaving and helping you?

That might work...

If you think your daughter would not freak out, you could show her some of your scar and explain that this was a serious operation and that you have to heal for a long time.

I took a lot of ibuprofen post -op; stayed on Tylenol for the first several days, but then wanted the anti-inflammatory benefit of ibuprofen(Advil).

I hope you heal soon. Just stay in your jammies so you don't look 'too well'. It encourages help.

hugs!
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM

christy - yep - it's always nice to be pampered. you were lucky to have her for so long. have you gone a day without any pain relief? vicodin for so long is kinda scarey... i had TVH too but wasn't in too much pain after day 5. I may be weird, but always feel that if I try not to take anything, then i can feel the pain better and won't do something i shouldn't. I have a bad back and was always careful not to take muscle relaxers cuz i knew if i felt no pain then i would push my body too hard and do more damage. Pain can be good sometimes in that it reminds us to not overdo. i am worried that you are feeling so bad... hopefully your 2 week check-up was good, but definitely stay on top of it - perhaps the pain indicates something more? Only your doc can say. Take good care of yourself and take it easy!
.. and send your dear mom the best thank you note ever!!! hehe
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM

(psst, codeine IS a narcotic....)
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm w/and tess makes 3.....

I've stopped the pain meds as of about four days ago and even the generic iboprophen because in some weird way I 'want' to feel the pain. Then I know how I'm doing / and it helps me walk 'enough' but not go crazy and think I can walk to the nearby shopping mall (don't think I haven't dreamt about it a few times, but I've restrained myself. I remember the posts here that 'you can get there, fine, but how are you going to get all the way back home??') ... so I agree w/the posts to try something that isn't so strong and try to do as the doc is suggesting. Driving... even a short distance, might take your mind off things. I'm sure it's stressful on daughter, too. My family doesn't know how to act/react half the time. It's hard on everybody. It sounds like everything is 'under control' even though it doesn't FEEL that way. I've learned to let the place turn even messier than it was; I eat a bit of this and that and had stuff in the freezer. 9-yr-old granddaughter is happy w/just about anything. Maybe before Mom leaves make sure you have everything you need on hand. Even w/driving it's not like you can go to the market and bring home heavy bags of anything.

Hang in there. I'm praying for you..........sending hugs and positive vibes your way! E.

p.s. 3 advil at a time is pretty good. I went to a meeting *(shhhhhh don't tell) at just one week post op and I did okay. Would I recommend it? No. But I'm a stubborn old lady. The power of x3 of the generics is pretty decent, though. Take care.......................I'm trying to send some positive energy your way.
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM

I just wanted to let yall know,I am not taking the Vicodin often,but sometimes I do need to take half of one,maybe once or twice a day.But not everyday.

But I am also not doing a whole lot right now,but I will be when my mom leaves.That is the part that has me worried.I don't want to end up in alot of pain,but doing normal everyday things.
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:18 PM
TexasLady73

Glad to hear you ration the meds; I did the same w/the percocet and I'm hoarding some pills......have no clue for what! Just take it easy when Mom leaves. I'm pretty much alone (i'm dyyyyyyyiiiiinnnnnngggggg of boredom and cannot WAIT to drive Monday)............. and it's been going okay. Be strong in terms of not letting DD or others assuming you will wait on them. I've had to do a lot of talking w/DD who is a teen; my 9 year old granddaughter is coming for the weekend and she actually enjoys doing laundry runs, watering the plants, and even taking out garbage bins/recycling bins. Let the little things go and focus on healing. I'll be thinking of you. You are right that it won't be 'normal'...........hang in there. We're rooting for you. And let us know how it goes after your Mom leaves. E.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register