Scheduled dVH/RALH After daVinci, sleeping positions?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After daVinci, sleeping positions?? After daVinci, sleeping positions??

Unread 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Re: After daVinci, sleeping positions??

I am 9 days post op dvh. Sleep positions depend on where your incisions are. I have 4 - belly button, high on right and left and left hip. I cannot sleep on my left side. I hate sleeping on my back but the pain meds help. With enough pillows I can sleep on my right side - 1 or 2 between my knees, one small under the edge of my tummy. It took several days being home before this was comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2011, 10:42 PM

I'm a side/stomach sleeper, for the first 4-5 days I could sleep on my side. I used a king size pillow to support my stomach & it was long enough to kind of hug between my knees. Helped w/hip & lower back aches too. After 1st week I start to sleep more on my tummy w/support of the pillow I still use the pillow off & on through out the night.
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

I had made my mind up to get a binder, and then at hospital I convinced myself I didnt need it. I went yesterday and bought one. It is fabulous!
My incissions are small, and not really bothering me at all unless my clothes are too tight against them, or if I accidently bump them on my counters.
My issue was/is sitting put pressure down on my vag cuff, and standing/walking made me feel like my insides were being jarred around. I was having to walk slow and hold both hands under my swelly belly.I wasnt able to sit straight up, only at a recline. The binder is Heaven.
Im able to walk a normal pace without holding myself up, and I can sit! It keeps everything pulled tight into you so nothing is flopping around inside, and it holds the pressure off of below. Now that I have it, Im able to side sleep without pillow support. A definite must
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDawg View Post
How long can I expect to have to wait before I can sleep in my favorite spot - on my tummy, or my next 2 spots - either hip? I am not a good back sleeper.
I had DvH. I am a side sleeper and was able to sleep on either side once I got back to my room. I never thought about sleeping any other way. I was sore when I rolled, but once I got on my side I was fine.
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM

I had a DvH almost 4 weeks ago. I'm a hardcore side / tummy (particularly tummy) sleeper. I got to go home the evening of my surgery, and I was able to sleep on either side that first night. I usually don't sleep on my back at all, but sometimes I have been able to do it by putting a pillow way down towards the end of the bed to support my legs from the knees down - if I don't do that, I end up with a bad backache the next day! I have "wanted" to sleep on my tummy, but I can tell that my body isn't ready for it yet, so I haven't tried.

I just discovered this week that extra pillows are WONDERFUL! Occasionally I pull one up close against my back and use it to lie half on my side, half on my back. But my new, very favorite way of sleeping is to hug a pillow up close (long-ways) to my chest and tummy. If I tuck it right up under my chin, I can stick the other end between my knees. Help in close like that, it really helps support my tummy, and last night I discovered that I can roll over on it slightly to sort of half sleep on my tummy! Needless to say, I was thrilled. :-) You might be able to experiment a little before your surgery to figure out ahead of time what some good options are for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register