Has anyone decided not to go through with hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone decided not to go through with hysterectomy? Has anyone decided not to go through with hysterectomy?

Unread 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Re: Has anyone decided not to go through with hysterectomy?

I am new to all of this, but is there any reason why you couldn't just have the fibroid removed (myomectomy)? I would definitely do something about the fibroid (that seems awfully big and you seem to have some very unpleasant effects). But, if the thought of a hysterectomy is scaring you, I would look into some other options. Good luck!

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmover View Post
I have a grapefruit size fibroid (only one). I generally have one extremely heavy flow day (changing ultra tampons every half hour or so) and then a regular period for 4 or 5 more days. Unfortunately two cycles ago, I had an 18 day period. I almost went to the hospital because I was feeling weak but then flow stopped. This is what led me to having an ultrasound. I am also always borderline anemic. The GYN I was referred to recommend a laproscopic procedure as I cannot take any kind of hormones due to another condition I have.

My surgery date has been set for late September, but I'm having second thoughts. I'm just not sure if all the risks of surgery are worth it for a day or two a month of hassle. But I am concerned that if fibroid continues to grow, I won't be a candidate for Lapro anymore.

Has anyone ever had second thoughts about going through with it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Last year I had doubts about surgery and I did everything I was willing to try for relief of symptoms. But for me it turns out waiting a year really didn't mean a thing because the primary diagnosis given could only be cured via a hysterectomy. I agree with other posters to get a second opinion and to do extensive research on fibroids. Good luck!
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone. My doctor had said he felt I wasn't a candidate for the myomectomy, but I will get him to clarify more. I am concerned now that the laproscopic procedure will not be an option at all anyway due to the morcellator recall (risks of spreading undetected cancers). My doctor originally said that they would do the morcellation in a bag to remove the majority of the risk, but now that the instrument is recalled, I imagine that things will change.
Unread 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Has anyone decided not to go through with hysterectomy?

I suggest speaking to an interventional radiologist and having the fibroid embolized. It worked great for me. The bleeding will stop immediately and it will begin to shrink. No surgical menopause. It costs a lot less, requires less down time and allows you to keep your organs if that is important to you. I would wait out the morcellation debate. I too think the FDA relied on the wrong data. Dr. Pritts presented what she calculates as the right data and if she is correct the risk of lms is much less. I think morcellation has a place for its many benefits but the issues need to be resolved. Embolization now would get you back in the game so to speak and hysterectomy can be considered another time. BTW: grapefruit size fibroids are considered moderate. Mine grew from a grapefruit to a pineapple and embolization stopped that craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmover View Post
Thanks everyone. My doctor had said he felt I wasn't a candidate for the myomectomy, but I will get him to clarify more. I am concerned now that the laproscopic procedure will not be an option at all anyway due to the morcellator recall (risks of spreading undetected cancers). My doctor originally said that they would do the morcellation in a bag to remove the majority of the risk, but now that the instrument is recalled, I imagine that things will change.
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:03 PM

I first discovered I had fibroids at 45. The doctor told me my only option was a hysterectomy. I didn't know what a fibroid was but I knew I didn't want a hysterectomy...3 doctors later I found one who wasn't pushing hysterectomy. At the time I was then 48 and close to menopause. And told how they would not go away but shrink. I tried ablation. nothing. So I waited. The only problem I had was heavy bleeding and I didn't want to risk my health for any kind of surgery. Also I was told UFE couldn't guarantee they wouldn't come back. So I waited. I am now 54 and my orange size fibroid is bowling ball size. (the other is still lemon size.) It grew this large in 5 months and now I have no other option but a hysterectomy. A TAH no option there either. It could even be cancer. I am so sorry I waited. Do something. UFE, interventional radiology. But do something....Don't wait even if your symptoms are minor. Do the steps now to shrink it. Menopause it seems makes these things go crazy and its years after menopause that the Fibroids actually shrink.
Best of luck!
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM

I agree to get a second opinion. You should go into a surgery like this as assured as possible that your doing the right thing for YOU I didn't want the surgery just because of recovery down time etc. but I knew it was right for me to do

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register