Should I wait until June? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I wait until June? Should I wait until June?

Unread 05-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Should I wait until June?

After a month of bleeding in January, (I'm 43) I started all the tests that have gotten me to this point...sonohysterogram which showed "growths," and "something" on the right ovary. I have previously had a cyst removed from this same ovary. Next doctor did a CT scan, which was inconclusive as far as the ovary, but my CA125 was way low. She next did a endometrial biopsy, which thankfully was benign--this is what her nurse told me, but she didn't give me any more information than that, so I don't know if fibroids or what.

At any rate, what the doc and I decided to do was set me up for surgery because the ovary is so big, and if there is any cancer at all, obviously I want her to take everything (though we discussed leaving the cervix). If she only sees a huge ovary and cyst or adhesions, she will remove only the ovary, tube, etc. from that side and leave the rest. I really, really do not want TAH at this point and am willing to try hormones, etc., since the fibroids (or whatever) are not causing me any pain or anything else.

My question is this--Her nurse was vague about the date of the surgery. Something about trying to coordinate the assistant's schedule, too, and it is tentatively set for 5/16. I still have no confirmation, and my work is driving me nuts trying to get this scheduled. My husband works nights, and my kids have unbelievably crazy schedules. There is a whole bunch of important things I will miss between now and the end of school if I have this done now.

So, if I have been waiting this long already--and who knows how long this has all been there?--would it really hurt to wait a couple more weeks until school is out and life settles down? Or am I just being ridiculous?? Thanks so much!

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 07:57 AM

Waiting a few weeks shouldnt hurt, if its going to be more convenient for you. You will need several weeks to recoup after the surgery and if waiting a few weeks will make that easier, then by all means.. do request it.
I'd just talk to the doctor and Im sure if there is no medical reason to do the surgery so soon.. they will allow it to be postponed until June.

I did the very same thing. I wanted to wait until my husband could take a vacation, the kids were out of school, etc.. so I am not having my surgery until June 9th. I've been waiting since April 11th, and I have less than 5 weeks left My condition is painful and disgusting at times, and Im having a difficult time keeping my hemocrit and hemoglobin up.. and they still allowed me to wait.

s to you
Unread 05-06-2003, 08:17 AM

Hi Debbie, It really is tough to try to make the right decisions sometimes. I think that since you're not having any real discomfort that maybe you should call your dr and discuss all your options. Since you're still vague on the date and really need more info about the whole thing, they should be able to work with you on what's best for everyone involved.
Since May 16 is fairly close, I'd advise you to call soon.
Please keep us posted about what you decide - we're here for you.
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 08:19 AM

Thanks so much. Life is so crazy...I guess we need to slow down and take care of ourselves, but it is hard, isn't it, with a family. I forgot to mention that also with the kid stuff, my b-day is 5/31, and our 20th anniversary is 6/7, so there really are some important dates in that time!

The only thing I'm concerned about is, I guess, what I feel like the doctor isn't telling me. When I just mentioned to the nurse that I wanted to wait until June, she said, "Oh, no, we'll get it done sooner than that," making me petrified that the doctor thinks it is worse than it is. I think I need to make one more appointment with the doc pre-op and ask her some tough questions, because I have a lot, rather than going through her nurse or air-headed receptionist (seriously). Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register