I'd Love To See A Thread.... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'd Love To See A Thread.... I'd Love To See A Thread....

Unread 08-17-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd Love To See A Thread....

I am almost 3 months post op and have had a pretty uneventful recovery. There was some granulation at 6 weeks, but one treatment and it was gone. When I found out I was going to have to have a hysterectomy, I spent hours on this site up until I went back to work. I still look around occasionally, like today. I remember searching out the positive posts for reassurance that it didn't have to be all bad. I had no "female" problems until my uterus had enough and fell out. I think that is why my recovery has been so easy, even though they found ando and fibroids afterwards, I had problems with them before. So my general heath was very good going into surgery and I didn't put off the surgery. My uterus prolapsed at the end of March and I schedule surgery for mid-May. I couldn't have waited too much longer.

The bladder sling part has been a little more challenging, but all in all, I am doing great. I was able to get back to my work outs beginning at 4 weeks and by 8 weeks I had built back up and now have surpassed pre-surgery intensity. Exercise and healthy eating are the keys to increasing your energy levels and sleeping ability.

It is nice to read the positives. Take care everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:54 PM

Do you really think the posts seem all negative? I think it was being able to read that the little niggles, etc. were all normal, that made me feel so normal and made my recovery so great.
I've not had any major problems since the original glitch and that could have happened to anyone.
I don't even remember how many weeks it is now and I feel great. I almost feel smug about feeling good, because I had read that things can go on and on for months. I really do think that reading all these things makes me feel even better (sorry to the girls who have more problems).
Besides, you just don't get a reply when you say you feel great and all is going well. I think we are here for the support it offers and you do need more support when things are not going as planned.
Great idea though - perhaps it could be another forum - "Feeling good, Looking great, No problems at all"
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Hi everyone!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to 39nfallinapart, baylee6 (Diane) and 2MagnoliaTrees for visiting us and telling us how you all are doing so far out from your hysts. It made me feel good--one of these days I will be able to get into my healthy routine--as soon as I'm released by my doctor.

And thank you Twyla for sharing with us as well. I know, sometimes I'm slow. I can't believe I didn't see the Beyond the Land of Hyster forum until today. I think I was really concentrating on pre-op and post-op message boards and didn't really look at all the other information on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Had to respond

I love reading all of these stories. The support here is so incredible. Whatever concerns I have had have been responded to quickly and with so much knowledge and insight that I am truly in awe of my "sisters".
Before I had my surgery, every person I knew who had had a hysterectomy told me that they didn't regret it for a minute. That helped in my decision, but it seemed to me that my choices were limited. My family history says that menopause (the wait and see answer to fibroids), was many years off, and the pain was getting worse from adenomyosis as it turned out. Still, I was concerned about surgery because I'd never had any to speak of. I was worried because I'm overweight, and at the pre-op my blood pressure was up for the first time ever. The end result? No problem!! The first couple of weeks were a bit rough, but I walked as much as possible. I had absolutely no problems with gas or bowels. I had a little stitch abscess which my sisters here reassured me about, and healed quickly with antibiotics and the doc pulling it out. At just over five weeks I was hiking and doing stairs up and down from the beaches at a national park. Since then, I've resumed everything but golf, and that's just a matter of getting around to it! Yes, my belly still gets a bit sore, but I figure that's just muscles that need time, and maybe some internal healing left to do. Sex is just fine, thanks. All and all, I'm a happy sister, and will join the ranks of those not regretting this decision. It sure beats the clots, floods and pain.
Thanks for posting this thread. As wonderful as the support is for any problem here, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling great, too.
Unread 08-17-2005, 11:09 PM

I am amazed at how easy the recovery has been, given the experiences I had heard of before my surgery. I had an abdominal hysterectomy for fibroids-they were huge. They were able to save one ovary. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The following day after coming home, I went to a neighborhood BBQ. Couldn't do much but sit, but it was good to be out. I have not needed a lot of rest. I only took the percocet for a few days. I started driving in 10 days. So overall, it has been fine and much better than I expected.
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:12 AM

I had LSH on July 12th 2005...I feel wonerful and have for my entire recovery. I spent one night in the hospital and had little pain. Moved slow for a couple of weeks and had some insomnia for a few days but that was a small price to pay for getting my life back!! I don't even feel as if I had surgery.
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Well..Count me in as one with no problems beyond the normal healing stuff. I read all I could here at Hyster Sisters. I would find comfort that my twinges were something that everyone had. I knew not to go ahead and mow the grass, just because I was feeling good that day. I took my 6 weeks of Princess training to heart. I didn't even run my sweeper for almost 5 months. I have heavy carpet and knew it was a huge no-no. (Those words came first from my doctor before I found it here also). I'd rest, eat well, drink plenty of fluids, and I'd walk some each day.
I was an avid walker (every day for years) and didn't even want my surgery to get in the way of that. I knew it couldn't be fast walking or long walking at first, but I wanted to walk. I talked to my doctor about this prior to my surgery. With his blessings I was told I could walk daily, just slow and easy.
I got up at 4:00 a.m. the morning of my surgery and took my walk. I was pretty sure there would be no walk that day. I had a morning surgery and was back in my room around 1:00 in the afternoon. I had some pain issues that took a few looooong hours to resolve, but my nurse was relentless until we got it back under control. That evening about 8:00, the nurse came in and wanted me to take a walk. My brain was screaming no...but I said Ok..Let's try it. I got up with a bit of help and DH, my nurse and I did several laps in the hall. I walked each day in the castle, as many times as I felt up to it.
The morning I was to go home..I was standing by the window watching the morning traffic from my room. My doctor came in..looked at me..and said, "Didn't I just do surgery on you?" I just smiled. He asked if he could make me his poster child for Hysterectomies. He gave me a hug and wished me well.
I came home later that day to my 6 weeks of princess land.
I'm now almost 4 1/2 years post op. I've posted my good story all over this site. I offer hugs to the ladies with more problems going on. But I feel I helped myself the most, by just taking it slow and easy throughout my first year. I listen to each and every twinge and pain. I'd stop at the first "ouch". If all I felt like doing was sitting one day in my PJ's, that's what I did.
There are many parts of Hyster Sisters for everyone to explore and enjoy. Hysteritaville (Healthy eating and exercise discussions), Friends without Faces (Lots of fun stuff going on there, non-hyst related), Neighborhoods (Have you checked out your own state or country to see if you have anyone right in your own area that is a Hyster Sister?), and of course Beyond the Land of Hyster.
If you are a Crown Jewel member, you can start a daily journal, read the journals of others, post pictures in your photo gallery, Get a cool crown and an Avatar of your choosing.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view.php?pg=funding
It's a great way to give back to HysterSisters, to help to keep this great site free, and to enjoy some really fun stuff in the process.
I love Hyster Sisters! It's become my second home. I'm not even sure what I used to do all day.
Take care everyone!
's
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Positively wonderful

I was sitting here today thinking that it is the 18th and then it dawned on me, I'm 10 months post-op. I can only speak for myself, but I feel better than ever since the surgery. Sure the first couple of months were difficult, but I can honestly say I have never felt better than I do today. No more pain. I thought it was normal to have pain so I lived with it far too long. I was very lucky to keep both ovaries and have had no menopausal symptoms yet...just the occassional night sweats, but I've had those on and off for a few years.
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:45 AM

Check out Beyond the Land of Hyster

This where you'll find updates from women on their hysters... I just posted there, I'm 6 months today and loving life. You'll find ladies here that are 1 - many years out.

Good luck to you all.
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:14 AM

Its so nice to read other womens' success stories & i too think it would be a great addition to the site, which although every case and woman is different, it could ease some worries of women who are pre-op, i had a huge hang-up about the catheter, even lost sleep over it, if only i had found this wonderful site before hand!

My story so far is success too, i also prepared myself mentally for this operation, im just over 2wks post op & feel great, yes, the soreness is still there, i still need to take painkillers but not as often & i have a nasty cough which dont help with the strain on my wound/scar, ive not had many weepy moments, & the HRT im on seems to be doing the job, very little flushes & even my DF thinks my mood swings are less!
Im even managing a little housework with help, but know my limits, & HOORAY i can make a cuppa now, as long as not too much water in the kettle!
As another sister has said, i was worried about how i would feel sexually too, being 32yrs & my fiance 25yrs, it was something that really played on my mind, but to be honest to put it bluntly im 'gagging for it', & cant wait to get active again! especailly as sex was a major no-go before the Op, as it was painful due to the endo.
Thankfully i have a very understanding Fiance, here in UK they advise sex no less than 4wks he wants to wait the 6wks, just to be sure & safe, the intamacy is still there lots of kisses & cuddles, so i know he still fancies me in that way......need i say any more!
Im taking things easy at the moment which is frustrating as mentally ive never been better.
I really feel for those who have not/are not having as good a recovery & its does make me feel guilty that i am, but we all recover at different rates, i thank my lucky stars that i am one of those that 'so far' is having a good recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register