What Exactly Makes Us Tired? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Exactly Makes Us Tired? What Exactly Makes Us Tired?

Unread 09-08-2006, 03:44 PM
What Exactly Makes Us Tired?

My sister said it was the anesthesia that makes us so dog-goned tired. I often wonder? Does anyone know the answer to this?

It just amazes me that one day you are fine, go in for surgery and then BAM!!! Tired for months on end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 04:16 PM

I think later on when the anesthesia wears off, it is more likely the loss of blood, and the body working to repair itself.
Unread 09-08-2006, 04:57 PM

I really dont think it is the anesthesia (just my 2 cents) I have had 4 other lap surgeries this summer and normally after 2 weeks I would almost be back to normal. I was 2 weeks out on Wed. and seem really tired still. I walked around the block yesterday and thought I might have to call hubby at work to come rescue me. I slowed down even more - amazing that was even possible and eventually made it one piece. Next time I will have someone on call waiting to resue me if needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscrappin
I walked around the block yesterday and thought I might have to call hubby at work to come rescue me.
My doc wants me to walk and to be honest, I miss it as I was a powerwalker before my surgery. I get totally exhausted just walking around the house yet.
Unread 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM

our bodies do most of their healing while we sleep...so being tired means we sleep and thus heal. it takes alot of energy to repair the damage done during this major surgery. our bodies immediately begin the repair process so immediate exhaustion makes sense, doesn't it?

the good news is that it does get better. it doesn't feel like it ever will, but it does. i walked 2 miles to work this morning and 2 miles back this evening. :-)
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianGal
My doc wants me to walk and to be honest, I miss it as I was a powerwalker before my surgery. I get totally exhausted just walking around the house yet.
I force myself to go for my walks, just "because!" I am waiting to be able to enjoy it. I live in the mountains, 4500 ft, so you can imagine there is a lot to see on a walk around here... horses, houses, gardens, hawks, bunnies ...today I actually saw a baby rattlesnake in the middle of the road. Well, I almost stepped on it because it blended in so well with the ground! I kept my distance and I was able to observe it for a little while. Then I went on my merry way ...ha! I got home feeling my usual soreness. This is not enjoyable! Will I ever look forward to these walks! But, I guess the POINT is that it is possible. Takes time, but you go from around the house, to around the driveway, to down the street, to around the block, and then, to whatever... No need to hurry! The path will still be there!
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:31 PM

Healing is hard work. I think you get tired easily because your body is working so hard to rebuild the tissue and replace the blood lost. Being tired forces you to rest more and allows you to heal.
Michelle
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:37 PM

This can be very frustrating.

My Dr. told me that it take almost 3 months for all the anethesia to get out of your system.

A Dr. by the name of Culter wrote a book on hysterectomies and said it has one of the longest recovery periods of any surgery-and that even without complications, on average, takes most women 13 months to feel like their old selves again.

Throw in the factor with losing your ovaries and being in hormone shock-a whole other set of issues.

Bob Green, Oprah's trainer says that the abdominal muscles are the center of energy in the body-that is probably a factor too.

I am almost a year out, and still am taking frequent naps...I wonder when it will EVER end!
Unread 09-09-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianGal
My sister said it was the anesthesia that makes us so dog-goned tired. I often wonder? Does anyone know the answer to this?
My doc told me healing tissues will suck up all your energy and make you tired. That makes sense in my opinion.

We've just moved back to Canada at the beginning of August. I was 2 months post op only. It was a really stressful time and we did work so hard my husband and I... but I made it through. I only suffered from tiredness when we were in Canada, perhaps after a week or so. Tired? I slept and rested. Simple. It paid off to listen to my body. I still have days when I am a bit more tired than usual so I don't over do it. I gather a hyst is a great shock to the system...

The very best to you!

Unread 09-09-2006, 07:14 AM

I'm at four weeks and am finding that I don't take as many naps as I was - however, I still find that I have to sit and rest. I was told by doc that naps are the body's way of healing - sleep is a rescue from all that ails you sort of thing....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register