Is hysterectomy right for me? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is hysterectomy right for me? Is hysterectomy right for me?

Unread 10-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Is hysterectomy right for me?

I just brief medical history...
I have epilepsy and bc pills and a lot of hormones mess with my meds and cause the siezures to be worse. I have ever had good periods. I had always since I was 12 had horrible heavy, crampy bloating periods. As I got older mid cycle was aweful too. I had my son by miracle at 25 on depo of all things(siezure meds kinda act like antibiotics with bc pills). He was an unexpected joy but a rough pregnancy. They kept saying I had "irritable uterus"(the rest of me was pretty irritable too). We then tried for 3 and a half yrs to get pregnany again with 2 miscarriages(12 and 14 weeks). I finally got our stinky military insurance to send me to a fertility doc(all the while dealing with gawd aweful cycles that couldn't be counted) he gave me clomid for 2months and then after the second month he did a mid cycle transvag US to see what was going on...Long story short, I never release eggs...Just make giant follicullar cysts. He gave me a shot of HCG said to go home and DTD and now we have our baby Autumn! Well after Autumn I didn't start my cycle back for 1 full yr(thank goodness she was a ravenous nurser)
Since it started back though the bleeding has been upwards of 10days heavy each time, I'm down for the count for at least 3 days with cramps. My mid cycle ovulation is painful stiff as well. During the US she should that I have a severly tilted uterus and at least 4 grape-golf ball sized fibroids. I have some degree of cramping everyday and my family thinks I am turning into satan(hard to be perky when your are hurting). Doc has suggested a hysterectomy...Is this a good idea? I am 31 but after 2 hellacious pregnancies and the trouble I have concieving we are done! In fact Hubby had the big V 6 months ago...Hate to tell the poor guy it might have been for naught. I see my doc today and my head is swirling with questions. I don't mind losing my uterus for any sentimental reasons but should I look elsewhere first? I love my OBGYN she is the one who delivered my last babe and is super compassionate. Thanks for the advice ladies!
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM

As many women will say here, it often becomes a quality of life issue.
My life and the lives of my family & friends has been seriously affected by my gyny issues. I'm 37. My husband had a vasectomy and we were done having children years ago. I got preg. with my 1st child on birth control too. I had emerg. surgery 5 yrs. ago to remove a large dermoid cyst, ovary and tube.
It sounds like you are in a similar situation. If you feel more comfortable, get a 2nd opinion but as you said you like this doctor???
I can't wait to be done in just about a month!!
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Hi

I'm sorry you are having these problems & facing this big decision. Did your GYN give you any other options to think about? I wasn't comfortable going right to hyst so tried other options first. Didn't work, but I didn't regret trying. My hubby thought my alternative treatments were a waste of time in the long run, but I didn't see it that way. The one thing I can say, though, is that I put up with a poor quality of life for waaaay too long before initially seeking help.

I hope whatever decision you make helps you get back to enjoying life & family full time rather than missing out every month.

A second opinion can be very helpful, even if you really do like this doc. Best of wishes to you. Please keep us posted.

Gentle s,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2006, 06:44 AM
As of our visit yesterday

she said the US showed my uterus sitting backwards pretty severely which on its own would make sex very unpleasant(I told her I was still in pain from the transvag US 3 days ago) and that one of the fairly large fibroids is sitting right at the base of my uterus/cervix which is also making my sex life not so fun LOL. Not that sex is everything but it does seem to be a decent sized part of marraige(at least a non-grumpy argueing one). She would like to do the hysterectomy ASAP since I am in pain and remove it vaginally. Any idea on what the recovery of that is vs a traditional one? She is taking 1 ovary since it is covered with fibroids as well. She said I should be okay hormone wise with just one. I am just concerned about recovery b/c I have a 16mo and a 6yo at home full time. I homeschool(which can take a break, Hey son look its summer!) But we live in a bi-level house with us upstairs and the kids downstairs. How long till I can carry my 30lbs baby upstairs? Get her in and out of her carseat? Hubby can only take 2 weeks at most off. Am I gonna be in big trouble with this? Thanks for the replies ladies!
~Jennifer
Unread 10-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Carrying your 30lb child will be a challenge. Try to enlist as much help as possible.
My lifting restrictions are for nothing over 12lbs for THREE months.
All dr's are different although lifting is one of the main causes of post-op complications and setbacks.
Unread 10-07-2006, 05:01 PM

I had the LAVH. First 4 days were rough for me, then fine until about the two week mark < about the time the sutures of the vaginal cuff start to dissolve. At that point I had a lot of pelvic pressure and spotting and had to hit the couch for a few days.

As (((Intune101))) mentioned, you'd have to work something out about the lifting situation. I was allowed to do stairs right from the beginning; I was just told to limit myself, go slow and use common sense.

If you have offers to help, take them up on it.
I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery.

s, Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register