New here and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and confused New here and confused

Unread 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM
New here and confused

Hi everyone,
Here is my story. I have three children all born via c-section and had a tubal ligation with my last c-section. Since I had my last daughter 3 and 1/2 years ago. I have had nausea, back, hip, thigh and pelvic pain for 2 weeks before my periods and extremely heavy, painful and long (10-14 days) periods. Basically my period doesn't stop until I ovulate which is also painful. So I have one good week a month at this point. I was considering an ablation or a Mirena IUD but I have always been so sensitive to BCP or any type of birth control so I am a little leary about the IUD. My doctor only does thermal ablation and since I have a latex allergy I am not a candidate and she told me only 40% of women get total relief (no period). She has offered me several other options uterine embolization, laparoscopy w/D & C which I know is very temporary in controling the bleeding. The other option she offered me is a davinci hysterectomy. I will be honest I have wanted to get rid of my uterus since I've had my third baby because my periods are so horrible. I am excited but scared. She will leave my ovaries because they are fine. My biggest concerns are how will my sex life be post surgery? My husband and I are lucky we are very happily married and I enjoy sex very much. I know with my ovaries still around my hormones will still be around also. I go for my consultation on Tuesday, April 12, 2011. I am so excited to have this option but wonder if it's too drastic. Any opinions are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Re: New here and confused

Hi Shelly- I have symptoms alot like yours and was offered all the options you were as well. LOL my appt is on the 12th of April also. I did try the the D&C and was gonna have the ablation done but they had to stop the procedure (ablation) as I was taking on to much of the fluid. I was also told that we could try it again but she is not positive she could even do it again as I had a fibroid removed at the same time and it left a rather large divit in the wall of my uterus. Since the procedures I have not gotten any relief. Right hip/groin/back pain from about 2-3 days before onset of period and it worsens on about day 4 of my cycle and lasts until the all the heavy bleeding/clotting/spotting has stopped. My cycle is about 10 days long. I also spot through out my cycle and sex is painful with deep penetration. I ussualy spot after sex. I have very loose stool with terribel stomach pains during my period cramps feel like labor. Okay thats my story.

Like you I do not want an IUD my Dr also for every IUD she puts in she also takes alot out. Its not for everyone and she totally unserstands and I am not her first paitent who is not intersested. I am almost 38 and I smoke so I can't take the pill nor do I want to.

I don't have a 100% positive feeling about trying the ablation again. I don't want to be put out only to wake up again disappointed and back where I am now.

Hysterectomy is also not a 100% gaurentee that my side pain will go away as she doesn't really know what it is. It is cycle related so I feel pretty sure it would help. Pretty sure is kinda scary for me though. However it is a 100% that I wont suffer with the heavy bleeding and cramps that interfere with my job.

I am SCARED but I know in my heart that I want to have my uterus removed. I am done having children. I have dealt with pg loss, infant loss and years of secondary infertility. At this point I have already gone through the "loss" stage and have dealt with all those feelings of not being a "women" because of my falty parts. I am excited to move into a new chapter in my life pain free hopefully. I am hoping to have it done in May.

Good luck in this CRAZY emotional journey. The should I shouldn't I can just about drive you NUTS! I think after your appt on the 12th (4 days now) you ( and I ) will feel a little at ease. I am pretty new to this site but have gained so much info. The support here is amazing. I hope to someday help others who are going through this process.
Take Care and I hope your appt goes exactly the way you want it to go. I look forward to reading your updates.
Unread 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Thank you so much! I feel almost 100% sure that hysterectomy is the right option for me. My husband is a little apprehensive and is asking me isn't surgery and removing an organ a little drastic for a heavy period but it is your body. I have three children so I am done having children and I am 40. You will have to let me know how your appointment goes and I will update you with mine as well! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Oh sweeties I am 13 weeks post TAH and I had abnormal heavy painful periods as I have PCOS I also had a tilted cervix well had cervix and uterus removed but ovaries left in. Yes the recovery period of 6 to 8 weeks was up and down emotionally as it takes a while for ovaries to kick in. But I have a sex life yes I have the O's and in most ways better ok you don't get proper uterine O's but something is working and it's pain free. There are no periods to get in the way at all and in some ways my fella is taken aback with the highsex drive I have that he has restricted me to weekends only. As he has to work and I make him tired lol. But don't be scared you will feel so much better for it.
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Oh forgot I had the mirena and it never stopped a period took 9 months of daily spotting to settling to a regular bleed only to stop working after 2 years but dr left it in and put me on the pill. Bleeding returned to every 2 weeks and daily in-between I turned down the ablation in favour of abdominal surgery. And never felt happier
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybards View Post
Thank you so much! I feel almost 100% sure that hysterectomy is the right option for me. My husband is a little apprehensive and is asking me isn't surgery and removing an organ a little drastic for a heavy period but it is your body. I have three children so I am done having children and I am 40. You will have to let me know how your appointment goes and I will update you with mine as well! Good luck
My husband has been the opposite he keeps telling me just go for it he is looking at it from his point of view lol meaning more sex

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register