A post-op safety consideration I hadnt heard of or thought of... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A post-op safety consideration I hadnt heard of or thought of... A post-op safety consideration I hadnt heard of or thought of...

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
A post-op safety consideration I hadnt heard of or thought of...

hi all,

i recently had a myomectomy, am currently 12 days post-op and am now at a point where i'm starting to take 3-4 block verrry sloooow walks (round trip). its nice getting out of the house and taking some sun as i'm starting to go a bit stir crazy here but have been having an issue w these walks the past 2 days in a row that i hadn't thought of which of course no one warned me about

living in LA (north hollywood), i'm lucky in that i live in an area where theres lots around me (bars, restaurants, cafes, shops, coffeehouses etc) but unfortunately north hollywood isnt exactly beverly hills and there are more than a few, lets call them, unsavory characters around. the past 2 days when i went on my walks i was, both days, approached by someone who was clearly on drugs, one of whom seemed just stoned and excessively happy but followed me a block and a half down the road nonetheless and the other one seemed to be on something a little more hardcore, was a bit more irate than the other man, didnt follow me as far (thank god) but was getting WAY up in my personal space (about 3-4 inches from me at times), which made me extremely uncomfortable, to the point that i had to tell him twice to back off.

as a fairly young attractive woman living in a big city im used to this behaviour, but have always known in the back of my mind if someone got to close to me i could just cross the street or bolt. now that im still so weak that i cant walk more than what seems like .008 mph, it occurred to me that if someone really got aggressive with me there wouldnt be a whole lot i could do, other than scream.

obviously im taking these walks during daylight hours, but it doesnt seem to stop people. im wondering if i now need to confine my walks to laps around my apartment building or what..? its just such a shame, that daily dose of sunshine is so rejuvenating to my spirit but i feel like im compromising my safety just walking around, almost like a wounded fish to a shark. and most of my friends are too busy to come over just to take walks w me every day...

any suggestions...?

a*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Re: A post-op safety consideration I hadnt heard of or thought of...

Can u get a friend to take you to a local mall or store for your walk?
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Definitely don't stroll around in an unsafe neighborhood! How long until you can drive? Can you drive, or get a ride to, a safe area, indoor or outdoor? Otherwise, walking around your block, if you feel that's safe, is about it. Above all, you need to stay safe! No more scarey walks! I hope you can get a ride to a safer place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM

I would be more cautious if this was me. I would stick to laps around the apartment building. Maybe a friend or neighbor would be willing to go on longer walks a couple times a week.

Your safety is just as important as your recovery.
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:56 PM

If you have to go out alone carry or use a sturdy walking stick or cane (as a possible weapon) and walk with confidence as though you mean business. Keep your cell phone at hand. If someone approaches you very close and scares you, point your cel phone and say "I'm taking your picture right now and e-mailing it to 911." If you want to walk in the sunshine stay on your own block and walk around it several times instead of walking further away and back. That way you are closer to home and possible escape if trouble comes up. AND isn't it a shame we live in a world where we have to worry about these things?
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:09 PM

I agree with other posts; you need to feel safe ! Can you get a ride to perhaps the Library ? It is climate controlled, has a bathroom, some have drinking fountains, many spots to sit, things to browse through and many places to casually walk around and not bother (or be bothered by) anybody. A mall is good, tho just the walk from the parking lot to the door may be a long one
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Hmmh.. Not worth the headaches u never know who you could bump into .. Then again you could carry a big stick ... lol...Better to be safe than sorry ...I'd stick to walking and doing laps around your apartment building for now..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register