TAH vs TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
TAH vs TVH

Just so I have some info before going in tomorrow and discussing the results of my ultrasound (this has been a long process for me) what are the recovery differences between the two procedures. Who or what determines the decision? Also - I saw a reference to a morphine drip - is it really that painful?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 08:41 PM
TAH vs TVH

Olivia,

Recovery is going to be pretty much the same for either TAH or TVH. It's about 6-8 weeks initially, with up to a year to be fully healed internally. The doctor will usually pick a procedure that is appropriate for whatever you need done inside. This is something you need to discuss with him/her.

A lot of princesses have a pain pump after surgery. I had a demerol drip. I was uncomfortable after surgery, but do not ever remember being in real pain.

I had my surgery at Fairfax Hospital. Where will you be?

s
Cat
Unread 09-23-2003, 08:42 PM
TAH vs TVH

Hi, Olivia! It is my understanding that recovery from a TVH takes less time than from a TAH...there may be others who can tell you more about why you would have one versus the other. I had a TAH because there were all kinds of other repairs that needed to be done at the same time, so a TAH really wasn't an option for me. As for the morphine drip...I had one with my C-section, and I thought it was wonderful! In fact, I thought it was so wonderful that my dr wouldn't give it to me with my hyst! I had a demerol drip instead, which didn't really help me that much at all. I was on ibuprophen within 24 hours of my surgery, cause I didn't like the way the demerol made me feel.

I think everyone's reaction to different narcotics, which is what both morphine and demerol are, is different, so my experience may not be the same as yours or someone else's. Talk to your dr if you are concerned...there are other options for pain management. In fact, you might do a search here on the words "pain management" and I'll bet you'll find some useful threads.

Good luck!

Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 09:02 PM
TAH vs TVH

I had my TVH in June. I spent two days in the hospital where I did have a moriphine drip.It helped me sleep more then anything. I felt great when I got home. I never had my perscription for percoset filled. Most of my pain was relieved with Tylenol. The worst part of all of it was the gas. I think my biggest problem was that I couldnt see any evidence of surgery. There is no incession across your abdomen to remind you to take it easy. I did over do it a few times (you'd think once would teach you). I also was able to return to work in three weeks with limited duties spelled out by my doctor.
Unread 09-24-2003, 01:27 AM
TAH vs TVH

The preliminary healing might be a little bit faster with a TVH, but my understanding is that it isn't necessaryily very much.

the other thing is that while you might want a TVH, in the end the dr will have to make that decision. I had hoped to try for TVH, but my dr said that because of the size of my uterus, and the "tightness" of the vagina he didn't think it was a good idea.

But I certainly DID ask about it, and at least I truly understood and felt comfortable with why I couldn't have it.

best wishes,
Cheryl
Unread 09-24-2003, 07:08 AM
TAH vs TVH

Thanks - I am working on a list of questions and will have a better understanding of the answers (I do have an enlarged uterus) - I will be having the surgery at Walter Reed in DC
Unread 09-24-2003, 07:13 AM
TAH vs TVH

When my dr suggested a hyster for growing fibroids that were starting to cause painful and heavy periods, she said that doing it now it could be done vaginally waiting may mean doing a TAH. My uterus was about the size of a 10 week pregancy and she said if it got up to a 12 week size they would have to do it abdom. I wanted to avoid that abdom. incision, so I had a TVH on 9-2.

My experience has been very good with low pain and quick recovery. I felt back to normal in about a week. The biggest problem is remembering that you have had surgery and are still healing on the inside. I have made a real effort not to lift, pull, or push on things. I am so eager to get back to my walking routine, but my dr said that I still can't be doing that yet, so I'm a bit frustrated. I have become constipated a couple of times and then had some spotting afterwards, so that has been a reminder that I'm not heal yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register