Scheduled TAH Surgery 4/19. Getting very scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 4/19.  Getting very scared! Surgery 4/19. Getting very scared!

Unread 04-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Surgery 4/19. Getting very scared!

My surgery is scheduled for 4/19, a TAH. I won't know if my ovaries and tubes are staying until I wake up. I've had problems for years and chronic pelvic pain. When Aunt Flo comes to visit, the pain on my lower left side is debilitating. I end up in bed for two or three days on pain meds. Of course she had to make one last appearance this week, just to remind me why I am getting this done. I'm very afraid that they will find something more than the tests showed. I have endometriosis and fibroids. My doctor assures me that ovarian cancer does not normally present this way and he is fairly confident that he won't find that. My bloodwork did show that I am borderline for a low white blood cell count. I did not get a second opinion. I have been seeing this doctor since I was 19 and am now 44. I am also afraid of the pain afterwards though I am hoping that it cannot be any worse than the pain I've been having every month. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Re: Surgery 4/19. Getting very scared!

Dear Shimmer

congratulations on being on your way to feeling better than you have in a long time! This is a road that will in all likleyhod, be a fairly easy one to travel after all you have been through already.

You will have some discomfort after surgery. This shoul be well controlled with pain meds though. It is a different kind of discomfort from what you are used to from your periods but it generally gets better every day. The unnknown is what drove me nits prior.to my surgery and I coped by coming to this board, staying busy and eventually giving myself over to the fact that it has to be done. You are a strong woman and you deserve to live your life without the pain aunt flo brings Every Time she decides to visit.

Take s deep breath and know that you will be given meds to ease discomfort and that the odds are that you will have a easy and uneventfull recovery. My wish to you is that your only problem is boredum during recovery and that you realize one morning that aunt flo should have arrived but lost your address

hughs and see you on the other side!
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Mine is the 19th too! I'm having a LSH. I have 2 fibroids--which will come out--as well as my uterus. The rest will stay.

I keep trying to NOT think about it...and I just want to get there & be put under immediately, and be 'on the flip side'.

I'm more fearful of the IV---which I hope they don't put in my hand, and the catheter. UGH!

I'm just glad that my friend told me about this website...it's making the 'unknown' a little better and I'm amazed at how many women have to go through these procedures!

Anyway...We'll be okay! I just know it!

Good Luck to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Hang in there, you only have a few more days......

Keep reading on here, but avoid the post op threads, you don't need all that extra unneeded stress!
Everyone is different however I have felt better than I ever thought I would. It has been hard, but the endometriosis/cysts/adenomyosis have all been much much worse! If I had all those attacks lumped together in a row I never would have made it this far! At least now when I am in bed I am thinking it is a GOOD thing cause I am healing and it will be over soon! Just take the pain meds, stay on top of the pain as so many recommend. Don't try to go without them just to "see" if you can. That time will come soon enough.

People used to tell me :"it'll be worth it" and now I am starting to see that that is entirely true.

Good Luck and ask any specific questions you have! The knowledge on here is amazing! As are the women that take the time to answer!

Sue

LAVH/BSO
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM

I went to my pre-op yesterday and was told by the nurse that I'm in very good hands with my Dr. He is wonderfull and it was just great to hear someone else say that. I'm having everything taken out on April 21st and I'm very nervous but I'm also ready to feel better. I was diagnosed with PCOS when my son was 2 yrs. old. I really hope with everything coming out I will get back to my old self. Everyone has said I will feel better but give it time.
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Hi! My surgery is on Monday too. Much of what you wrote sounds like something I could have written myself.

So much pain every month, and having Aunt Flo this week was a painful reminder of why I'm having the surgery for sure. She just doesn't seem to want to end it all. Going out with a bang.

Please try not to worry. I know our minds can just let us worry on if we let them. Everything will work out okay and soon we will be waking up to recovery and relief that it's OVER.

Try to stay as busy as possible, even if it's just cleaning or cleaning out some cupboards. I know that staying busy has been so good for me this week. Go out to dinner or shop in a store simply because you want to browse. Give yourself some pampering if you can.

I am getting my first ever massage tonight. I would never do this for myself, but someone gave me a gift card for my birthday. It's kind of out of my comfort zone because I'm a pretty private person, but I know I need this right now. - especially since I just finished a big painting job in my home. I'm sore. LOL

I am right there with you, I seem to be nervous, then calm, then nervous. We WILL make it through the next few days. Stay busy, stay positive. Visualize that your April 19 sisters and others have an arm around you. We can do this!
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Thank you every one for your words of support and kindness! This site has been a God-send! I'm glad to receive so many positive comments. I'm looking forward to reporting all the positives of my recovery. Thanks again!
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Yes I am nervous too. The nerves didn't kick in until Tuesdays meeting with my surgeon. On Monday 4/19 I have the post op appt. at the hospital. Now I am waking up at 3 am with surgery on my mind. Will it be canceled? Will I get sick? Will the surgeon be sick? etc.....
I am definitely anxiously awaiting surgery on Wednesday 4/21.
Joni
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM

It's going to be OK.

You ARE going to feel better.
You ARE going to be so much happier.
AND You ARE going to feel human for the first time, and like you have a life.

We'll be praying for you!
Blessings!
Alwayshopeful
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM

My surgery is Monday, as well. I had my final appt with gyn today - I was disappointed because I wanted the TVH but they said it may not happen that way now due to the way I am built internally, even though I had a baby! So I won't know until I see the surgeon mon morning right before the surgery and he makes a recommendation. he wasn't available today. We need to be at the hospital at 6AM, which is way early for this non morning person night owl. Without her starbucks, sigh!

I have decided the cervix must go, no more psychological baggage with abnormal paps, hearing about cervical cancer and how it knocks you down so quickly, etc. Actually, I was told today if you have a vaginal hysterectomy, the cervix has to go anyhow.

Good luck to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register