sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28) sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28)

Unread 05-17-2015, 06:05 AM
sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28)

I took my LO to the dr. on Friday. The dr. said strep throat was going around but we didn't have him swabbed (he has autism and dr. visits stress him out very badly). He got zithromycin (spelling) aka Zpack - So last night I started getting a sore throat and I had a box of zpack here at my house so I took 2 pills (first dose instructions). I can't get to the dr. till tomorrow. That's if they have an opening. I am wondering where I caught this early and started antibiotic will I be okay for surgery still? I'm so nervous because my mom has already requested THESE days and it was a real pain to get them. (she is coming in town to help us) My throat has never in my life been this sore that I can ever remember. With zpack, you only take 5 days of pills. So I would finish up my pack this Wednesday. Do you think if I am feeling better this week, I will still be okay for surgery?? I can't call dr. until tomorrow. Thanks for reading. Any input or examples appreciated. I know I can't be the only one this unlucky - lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2015, 08:57 AM
sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleesi View Post
I took my LO to the dr. on Friday. The dr. said strep throat was going around but we didn't have him swabbed (he has autism and dr. visits stress him out very badly). He got zithromycin (spelling) aka Zpack - So last night I started getting a sore throat and I had a box of zpack here at my house so I took 2 pills (first dose instructions). I can't get to the dr. till tomorrow. That's if they have an opening. I am wondering where I caught this early and started antibiotic will I be okay for surgery still? I'm so nervous because my mom has already requested THESE days and it was a real pain to get them. (she is coming in town to help us) My throat has never in my life been this sore that I can ever remember. With zpack, you only take 5 days of pills. So I would finish up my pack this Wednesday. Do you think if I am feeling better this week, I will still be okay for surgery?? I can't call dr. until tomorrow. Thanks for reading. Any input or examples appreciated. I know I can't be the only one this unlucky - lol.
Hi! I am scheduled for surgery on the 20th and last Monday I got strep! 8 days before surgery! They gave me a 7 day script for amoxicillin and within 24 hours I went from feeling horrible to almost normal! My doctor said it won't interfere with surgery at all
Unread 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Re: sick 11 days before surgery

That makes me feel a lot better!!! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Sorry you feel so bad. But don't take antibiotics until you've seen the doctor and gotten a diagnosis needing them. You may not have strep. Is there an Urgent Care center you can go to without waiting until tomorrow?
Unread 05-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Hi Kaleesi -

Definitely call your doctor. You should not take anything this close to surgery without their okay - this includes OTC meds and prescription meds. Every doctor is different, and every situation is different. Let them know you already have taken something, and what you took.

Hope you

Unread 05-17-2015, 04:35 PM

I did call the dr. that is doing the surgery. I called at 10 a.m. and the answering service said they'd try to get a message to him. BUT he never returned my call. I talked to the pharmacy and they said it should be okay. That Zpack will leave the body 10 days from the day you start taking it. Doing the best I can!
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:15 AM

My dr. called me this morning and said that it was perfectly fine to take the zpack and he called me in a new prescription so I could continue to take it (the full 5 days dose). He said the insurance came back approved for surgery as well and that everything is still on. I think I have to have blood labs drawn and a chest xray next week - before surgery! I'm glad it all worked out.
Unread 05-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Re: sick 11 days before hysterectomy (5/28)

Hi Kaleesi -

I am glad you got approval from your doctor. You just never know, and it is better safe than sorry with meds.

I am glad your insurance approved your surgery . Things are coming together. Hope you feel better with the zpack.

The pre-op is like a mini-physical. They want to make sure you are healthy and fine for surgery. I had an EKG, blood work, urinalysis, bp, height, weight, and more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register