Week 3 post hysterectomy and feeling horrible! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Week 3 post hysterectomy and feeling horrible! Week 3 post hysterectomy and feeling horrible!

Unread 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Week 3 post hysterectomy and feeling horrible!

Hello Ladies,

I had my TAH on Nov. 17th and thought that by week 3 I would be feeling better...not the case. I was feeling ok in week 2...was off the pain meds and then a few days ago I caught a cold from my grandson. After 2 days of coughing and sneezing I developed severe pain in my lower left abdomen and my belly was extremely tender and swollen. Fearing that I had torn some stitches I made a phone call to my doctor who advised me to go to the ER. I did and they did a CT Scan and blood work. CT Scan showed fluid, but no bleeding. They sent me home with pain meds. I received a phone call from the ER at 5am this morning telling me to come back as one of the blood cultures showed an infection. I went back and was told I was being admitted for 2-5 days, and IV antibiotics were started along with more blood cultures. Several hours later the ER doctor tells me the original cultures may have been contaminated and they sent me home pending new culture results. In the meantime I am still in pain and just feel horrible in general. I was just wondering if any one else has had the same experience? I know other ladies who had the same surgery and by week 3 they felt great. I just want to feel ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Re: Week 3 post op and feeling horrible!

I remember that third week being hard. I had been feeling a little better and then there was a little setback around that time. I don't remember the specifics, but I think your insides are starting to heal at that point which can cause some discomfort.

The coughing and sneezing probably didn't help at all LOL! Rest, take it easy, and if you feel tired or sore, that means it's time to lie down and chill out! Do keep in touch with your doctor, if you feel concerned about your level of pain/discomfort.

Hope you start feeling better soon!
Unread 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird:) View Post
I remember that third week being hard. I had been feeling a little better and then there was a little setback around that time. I don't remember the specifics, but I think your insides are starting to heal at that point which can cause some discomfort.

The coughing and sneezing probably didn't help at all LOL! Rest, take it easy, and if you feel tired or sore, that means it's time to lie down and chill out! Do keep in touch with your doctor, if you feel concerned about your level of pain/discomfort.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Thank you for the positive words of encouragement. I am trying to be patient...I just assumed that I would bounce right back into my normal busy life....LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Re: Week 3 post op and feeling horrible!

These posts are so helpful - just got through week 4- had an hysterectomy, bladder , vaginal wall and rectal repair - lots of ups and downs ! I am a nurse and have been frankly surprised by how long this recovery is ! I have had a few really good days but honestly it's a slow process - week three was a surprise to me as well - I am trying to be patient with myself and be grateful for the time to heal!!
Unread 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah135 View Post
These posts are so helpful - just got through week 4- had an hysterectomy, bladder , vaginal wall and rectal repair - lots of ups and downs ! I am a nurse and have been frankly surprised by how long this recovery is ! I have had a few really good days but honestly it's a slow process - week three was a surprise to me as well - I am trying to be patient with myself and be grateful for the time to heal!!
Yes, I too am surprised at how slow the healing process has been. I thought that by now I would at least be able to complete small tasks..instead I am in bed with a heating pad on my back or my abdomen and just trying to pick up 10 items from the grocery store is a daunting task. I am a Manager at a Restaurant and my boss has been very understanding and my staff has been great...but I wonder if I will ever feel 100% again and able to do my job as effectively as I did before my surgery. It's a little scary to me...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register