Fibroid pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Fibroid pain

Hi does anyone feel fibroid pain when not only when on your period but maybe in between your periods? Can these things move inside your stomach? Sometimes I think the fibroids either move or stretch, I can feel them!! What do they feel like to you, mine feel like a grapefruit or maybe even a rubbery football!! I thought at one point it felt like a baby's head, but it's definitely fibroids I been diagnosed by doctor. Hysterectomy coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
enlarged uterus with fibroids

Anyone uterus enlarge due to those fibroids? If so how enlarged was your uterus? Meaning too your stomach appear to be pregnant. Did your stomach flatten after removal of fibroids?
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Re: Fibroid pain

Hi Lady2009,

Yes, I feel my fibroids all the time. They hurt the most right before and then during my period. Even when I am not having my period though, I can feel them through my skin When I am laying on my back. It protrudes out and I can feel the lump under my skin. Sometimes it seems like it changes shape but not location. Sometimes it is more round, other times more oblong. I don't think they really move around so much like across your stomach, but I do think they contract and expand with your hormones. My doc says they are the cause of my heavy bleeding. So during my period, I think they work extra hard.

This is the second time I have had multiple fibroids. The first time, I had nine removed. The largest was the size of a lime. This time, they are bigger. I don't recall being able to feel them through my skin the first time. Yes, my uterus is enlarged because of them. I know people talk in terms of weeks of pregnancy, but I haven't gotten that kind of description. When I go for my pre-op appt, they will do another ultrasound and I will be sure to ask specifically how big it is.

Have a great night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Hi. I have multiple small fibroids throughout the uterus. The largest is only about walnut sized but there are so many that my doctor told me that if you line them up they equal about 12cm of tumors. My uterus is only about 10week size, so not big. The last ultrasound could not visualize the interior walls of the uterus becasue of the irregularities. I do have moderate cramping throughout the month, and spotting. My period is really bad with pain and bleeding that keeps me home. I should buy stock in Tampax. I only feel the bulk of it when I lay down at night, but sometimes if I stand up too fast I get sharp pain and last fall I developed pain in my behind (sciatic?) that the doctor said could be related because the uterus is tipped to the back and the fibroids could be pressing on the spine, even tho they are not big. My problem does not seem to be as bad as many women here on the site, but it is affecting my quality of life tremendously so I am having a TAH on July 7th. It doesnt feel real yet to even type it!
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi Lady2009,
I also have fibroids and have had for several years. Mine have grown a lot in the past year. My uterus is the size of being 15 weeks and I have a 6cm fibroid and three that are golf ball size. I have pain on my left side and it comes and goes at different times throughout the month. I feel like it is getting very crowded in there and like my uterus is pushing on other organs, like my bladder. My periods are about 10 days on, 10 days off. I am scheduled to have a TAH BSO this Friday, May 15th. Good luck to you!
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Wow, Oriole99, good luck and God bless for your surgery this Friday! Just imagine....no more of that bulky stuff in there!! I will be thinking about you....
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM

I have surgery scheduled for next Wednesday and I can't wait.

My fibroid (I've been told I have only one) was last said to be golf ball size and located very low in my uterus. I go on Monday for Pre-op and then to see the doctor. I am interested to see how things have progressed. It might be a mind over matter thing for me, but I feel like I'm pregnant in that things seem to be pushing upwards. I thought I felt a hard knot the other day low on my belly...like a baby's foot sticking out. It was too weird!

My pain is mostly when I sleep or lay down. My back hurts and my fingers seem to get a bit numb. I hate sleeping on my back, but it's the only way I can sleep without a ton of pain. My DH has to put up with my snoring!

I am counting the days until I can rest without these growths. I do worry about what else the doctor will find when he goes in to remove my uterus. I don't think it will be cancer, but I worry it will be more fibroids and he won't be able to remove them all meaning the pain will go on.

I find that when I start to have cramps and back pain from my fibroid that walking seems to help most of all. Plus a nice walk outside is always good for the soul!

Good luck to all!
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM

My fibroids would throb sometimes. Especially after a long day while I was sitting down if my pants waist band was pushing on them. I wouldn't call it pain, just discomfort.

They were hard and in the end it got to the point where I couldn't even touch my abdomen with out being grossed out.
There were 4 large ones and multiple small ones all crammed into my 20 week sized uterus.

They would be best right after my period, but then as the month went on they would seem to grow and throb angrily, like they had a mind of their own.
My periods really weren't too heavy, but I was always afraid of leaking and changed tampons constantly on day 2-3.
I thought my bladder was fine, although I would describe it to the doctors as being different than before. I also had leakage which I told no one about, but sneezing, coughing or jumping my horse would sometimes result in a bit of a problem.
You could see my fibroid uterus when I lay down. and every doctor who examined me would say "My these are large" upon doing a pelvic examine. I even dreamed about being examined and the doctor saying "These are huge!"
I got by being somewhat skinny and wearing low rise pants. I couldn't wear a waist band up high where my fibroids were. That was too painful and I would have to go up a size.

So I finally found a Doctor who could do a LSH and had one on 4/23. I am almost 3 weeks post surgery. Off pain meds, walking, working 1/2 days ( my boss, bless him, doesn't want me to strain myself.) did agility with my dog last night and am going to sit on one of my horses today.
I can touch my stomach now. I have no more bulky or throbbing pain. My bladder is very very happy. I did not realize how bad it truly was with fibroids until I got to live without them.
Unread 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM

My uterus stretched such that i looked like someone 24 weeks pregnant. Based on the ultra-sound I had 5 large fibroids - the largest one was the size of a grapefruit, the second largest one was the size of an orange, the smallest the size of a walnut and the other two somewhere in between. The fibroids made my stomach very hard to the touch and unfortable to sleep on my tummy. When I had my TAH last week they found the count was closer to 10 with a total weight of 2.33 pounds. Since I'm only 1 week post-op i can't how much my stomach has flattened but I definitely excpect to see a difference now that i'm gotten rid of that extra baggage.
Unread 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM

OMG you poor thing! Thank goodness they are gone!

I only had three (pretty big) fibroids, but I can all ready tell that those babies were robbing me of my energy. I feel better than I have in a long time. Have you notice and changes that may have been due to the fibroids?

Hope you're healing just fine!

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register