I'm a little scared were you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm a little scared were you? I'm a little scared were you?

Unread 05-09-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm a little scared were you?

I just found out that the irregular bleeding I have had for over a year is due to Fibroids. My Dr. has recommended a Hysterectomy. I have had 2 c-sections, tubal, gall bladder surgery in past. I am afraid of this one. Can someone tell me why. I know it will hurt, but I am freaked out. I know I have to do this but am worried about waiting too long may increase the chance of not being able to do incision inside instead of on belly. Also Dr. said he has done alot with epidural. Has anyone done this surgery with epidural? Has anyone had prior c-sections and still had the incision vag instead of belly? Was anyone else scared? I am not usually afraid of things, I don't really get what is going on with me. Please tell me I am not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2003, 09:30 AM

Hi--Don't know that I can offer much other than to say I know how you feel and I think it is normal to be scared. I too am having a hysterectomy this month. I too have had 2 c-sections. My surgeon told me the plan is th do it by way of LAVH. He did caution thought that since I had the c-sections before that there could be scar tissue. If this is the case he might have to do it abdominally but the plan is for LAVH. I too am scared but I am a year and a half out from breast cancer so at least I am not going into this with a fear of cancer. Hang in there though. From what I have read on this site, †here are plenty of others who have felt as you had. Good luck. Nancy
Unread 05-09-2003, 11:06 AM
a LITTLE scared??

...heck, I was terrified! I had never had surgery before this one. My biggest fear was the general anesthesia, which turned out to be perfect for me!

PLEASE ladies, believe me when I say that the waiting is THE hardest part. I did have some minor complications, but I never felt as bad as I did when I was stressing out BEFORE the surgery. It's not as bad as you're building it up to be! You'll be fine, and probably feel a whole lot better afterwards...

Lots of women on this site had their surgeries with an epidural...you might want to try doing a search under "epidural" or "anesthesia"...there is a TON if information here...I would recommend reading as much as you can. It made me feel so much better to do that before the surgery, because I was mentally prepared for all kinds of outcomes.

You are NOT alone. As a matter of fact, since you've found this site, you have thousands of women who've been through the same thing and felt the same emotions as you are feeling now. This is a great resource. I have found more comfort from the women here than from ANY other place, including family and friends....after all, we're the only ones who can REALLY empathize, because we've either been though it or are about to!

KEEP US POSTED and come back often!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2003, 12:41 PM

It's OK and normal to be scared about hysterectomy. I'm still considering it after several years of increasing pain and bleeding from fibroids.

I am normally a very practical person. It should be a simple decision: If my uterus hurts all the time and I don't need it for anything, take it out. Right? I have had abdominal surgery before. I have had laparascopic surgery before, even with my current doctor. I trust her. No problem, right?

The fact is, though, that this is a real physical loss. Your uterus has been there all your life. It has nurtured your precious children before they were born. Some say it's a strong creative force in your life. The prospect of losing it is worth being scared and sad about. What I'm trying to do is to acknowledge those feelings, to really feel them, and then to let it go. I'm also trying to look at it as freeing me to be more creative. I'll let you know how well that works!

Take care, and know that you're not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register