Feeling Better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling Better Feeling Better

Unread 05-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Feeling Better

My surgery is scheduled for June 8th. I keep wanting to cancel it. Several people have told me I'll feel so much better after I have it. I have an enlarged uterus, fibroids, a polyp and clotting during longer than normal periods. I'm wondering if I should just cancel and endure the few little problems so I don't have to recover from the surgery. I think the though of it and the pain scares me. Do any of you really think you feel better all the time or will I just feel better because I won't have a period? I never expected this to be such an emotional decision. Every time I feel good about it then I feel a tremendous urge to cancel it. Hope to hear from those of you who've had good experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Feeling Better

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm scheduled for june 11th and I always think of canceling it. The pain and everything scares me but look at this way, we'll have pain for a little bit after the surgery and hopefully the meds will control it and if all goes well, pain free forever and no crampy periods!!!! I'll take a month of pain after surgery to live pain free and never see aunt flo or endo again.

Waiting is tuff but we can all get through it!!!! This site provides great support for me when I get nervous and want to cancel.
Unread 05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Feeling Better

Hi Sharon Kay!

The vast majority of women who have a hysterectomy have good experiences, but most of those women never come to this site -- since they are "as happy as clams" from start to finish, they never feel the need for the "support" this site offers. Try to remember that doctors and nurses are humane creatures, who don't want to see anyone suffer. I doubt that anyone gets out of this with no pain whatsoever, but medication makes it tolerable, and the pain should lessen day by day. Yes, there will be a recovery period during which your life will most definitely not be a "bed of roses." But, the way I see it, if you pro-rate the Castle time and weeks of recovery throughout the decades and decades of the remainder of your lifespan, it just isn't all that much to endure to have an improved quality of life from here on out.

Best wishes in your quest to be the best "you" that you can be! I'm sending positive thoughts your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Feeling Better

Ladies,

I browse this site from time to time since my TAH/BSO (just celebrated my one year hysterversary) and I can tell you that I experienced many of the same emotions you are feeling right now. In fact, I put off my surgery for 2 years.

Here's the scoop: the recovery period after the surgery is not so bad. Honestly! What you read here are the exceptions, I believe because so many of us have no complications and don't really post anything.

My surgery was the best decision I made for myself. I feel SO much better, and I recovered well. You will too. Just take care of yourselves after surgery; don't listen to those out there who are vacuuming and weeding and who knows what! just to prove something. Even if your DH is a jerk.....don't be one to yourself. Pamper yourself, rest, read and drink lots of water after the surgery. I'm telling you from experience, it isn't bad at all. And with summer around the corner, sit outside and soak up some warmth and sun while you are resting.

You go, girls! You can do it, and you will be glad you did.

Kathy
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Feeling Better

Thank you Kathy so much for your wonderful response. I think that there are so many more women with good outcomes and positive experiences than we possible know. While I am a little apprehensive, I truly believe in my heart and soul that I am doing the right thing. I am focusing on the positive and making sure that I am educated and well informed on the surgery, recovery, and life after.

Thanks again!
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Feeling Better

Thanks, everyone! I sure needed some positive input today!
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Feeling Better

Hello,
I ignored my problem until it created serious health issues for me but even so was like you and wanted to cancel. But I knew my problem would only get worse and it was impacting my whole life. I had a LSH which in general means a fairly quick recovery time. I went home same day of surgery, by end of first week I was doing well enough to resume light day to day activities including my nightly long walks. But we all heal differently. I didn't need any pain meds after first day and now I feel so good physically and mentally. Prior to surgery I was bleeding non-stop for 3 months, the fibroids were crushing my bladder, bowel and everything else. My back hurt all the time, I was constantly worried about my health. My surgery went fine. I'm very VERY happy to have had this surgery, it feels like I have a brand new life. It has been a very freeing experience for me. I feel I have done something very good for my body. I know it's wierd to say that but for me it's true.

You'll be fine. Best of luck to you.
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Feeling Better

Amen to feeling better! I'm only 13 days post-op, so I have the typical aches from time to time, but I honestly feel so much better, both physically and emotionally. I'm not just saying this, either. For me, and for the majority of women I've talked to who've had hysterectomies, it's so true.

Before my surgery, I was in nearly constant pain -- back and hip pain, mostly -- pain that kept me up at night, pain that was nearly always there. My periods slowly got so bad I couldn't stand them. I had an enlarged uterus due to ever-growing fibroids, plus the onset of endometriosis and adenomyosis.

Like those of you who are unsure, I was VERY unsure before my surgery! Empressnormi says it well when she says "apprehensive" -- I think that describes it best. I never thought I'd cancel, but I was sort of dreading it, worried I'd hurt more afterwards.

But I'll tell you the truth: One evening about 2 days after I'd come home, it hit me -- I had NO pain in my back and/or hip! It was totally gone! I couldn't believe it, but it's true, and I haven't had that pain since.

Now of course, everyone heals at a different rate, and everyone is different. This is just my experience, and it's the only one I can speak about. But you can add me to the list of those who are glad they did it!

Best wishes to all of you who are concerned, and facing surgery. Don't worry, though -- it's the waiting that's the hardest, believe me. You'll all be fine.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Feeling Better

Hi Sharon Kay,
I sooo relate to what you are feeling. But here's my rationale for going ahead on Wednesday, 26 May ...

I have a DH whom I hardly ever have sex with anymore because of the copious bleeding, headaches, and pain.

My family misses me because I isolate myself when I am suffering.

I have a job that I love, but because of the pain and unpredictable flooding, I have gotten into hot water for absenteeism.

I have a great church that I have quit almost everything I've been involved in because I'm afraid of a public humiliation.

Anemia has taken a toll on my health as well, I can't donate blood anymore, etc. , etc., etc.

I'm doing it, and I thank God for the possibility of a better life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register