Have you wanted to change your life since surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have you wanted to change your life since surgery? Have you wanted to change your life since surgery?

Unread 07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Have you wanted to change your life since surgery?

I think I must be going crazy, I have thought about going back to school, buying a new house to rehab for fun, I did buy a new car. I have plans to redecorate a room or two (came to senses and decided against new house) All in 3 - 4 weeks time. I also notice that I am eating totally different than when I did pre-op, I used to drink nothing but soda and I have only opened 3 cans since surgery and have not had the desire to finish one! I am eating much healthier now, anything fried or greasy makes my tummy turn to think of it right now.

I am giving new meaning to "Change of life" - anyone else feeling so unsettled?

Aimee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 04:35 PM

I don't exactly feel unsettled, but have put alot of thought into changing my life since the surgery. I feel that I've got a 2nd chance now to do some of the things I would really like to do. Part of this feeling stems from finding out I did NOT have a malignant tumour as my doctor expected. I have been so blessed, I don't want to miss out on anything in life anymore. I have put a great deal of emphasis on my career in the last 10 years, but I plan on slowing down a little from now on. I'm going to enjoy life!
Good luck to you and all your changes!
BonBon
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Hi Aimee!

The feelings you describe are not unusual. I think you might enjoy this article from our Post-Op Archives:

A New Phase - Some Thoughts & Feelings

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 06:50 PM

I am a year (and a little) post hyst. I have done many of the things you are talking about. I quit my job of 14 years, I have redecorated a room or two, I am eating better and drinking tons more water. I feel that I have been given another chance, and I will embrace that chance as long as I am able.
snickers
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:54 PM

For the first time in 20 years, I have no pain!
I have energy. I feel like I have been reborn..
It's a week ago Monday I had surgery and I feel awesome!
I'm looking at the world through a different spectrum even my children noticed.
I'm planning to try again for the police department, get the body of a female bodybuilder when I can go back to the gym and put in my 2 hours a day 5 days a week.
I started going to church, I found myself at 30.
I quite smoking and I'm trying to eat healthier, I have a second chance, I will not mess it up!
Unread 07-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Glad to know that I am not the only one having those feelings! I have been doing alot of soul searching the past few months, and I too am planning to make some new changes!

I am enjoying my "second chance" at a new life...wishing all of you the very best in everything that you do!
Unread 07-20-2005, 07:09 PM

My favorite quote from my kitchen magnet
"Life is too short to be miserable!"
I am taking this hysterectomy business in a new direction also. I was so miserable before the surgery due to pain, heavy bleeding, incontinence and so on. I too am contemplating school--maybe just one course in some obscure subject that I 've been wanting to check out (caligraphy, crime scence photography, etc. Have already bought a house 4 years ago but have started to re-do to my tastes ( I'm a theme person and previous occupants were country). I am even considering a career change but will wait on that one. Hubby is headed to Iraq and I don't need to start a new job right now.
Unread 07-20-2005, 07:54 PM

I've had the incredible urge to repaint my house -- by myself! My husband has always been the painter.

And yesterday I bought a new shower curtain, bathroom rug, and hand towels for the kids' bathroom.

I think I'm nesting. It's crazy. I never did that even when I was pg.
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Bizet woman - thanks for the article, I have also had emotionally bankrupt days! But they are not constant I am glad that I am not alone in these feelings, like Tina said it does feel a little like "nesting"

Aimee
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:30 AM

Join the club! I find myself being more conscious of my dietary, exercise, and spiritual practices since my surgery. The response of others to my illness had shown me some friends I did not know I had and revealed that some of the people I thought were friends are not. I have changed my attitude about my work place and will no longer involve myself in certain projects or relationships there. I am closer to my spouse and daughter now. They love me more than I imagined. I also will pursue another degree this fall in preparation for a career change. I will write a book!

I wonder if the surgeon didn't do something with my brain and eyes!

Aiken

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register