New with questions about TVH! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New with questions about TVH! New with questions about TVH!

Unread 01-28-2006, 12:12 AM
New with questions about TVH!

I am 32 and have my surgey scheduled for Feb. 6th. I'm only having my uterus taken out vaginaly. What's the healing time for this? I know the hospital stay is 2 days. Is there much pain afterwards? And how does it compare to having a baby in terms of post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Hi Oklahomasweety and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited hugs to dispense to you at every stage of your journey to good health!

Please help us to help you by "Editing Your Profile" to include your surgery date and type. I also recommend that you enroll in Checkpoints, which was designed to accompany you through the entire "hysterectomy experience" and beyond!

I had a different type of surgery than you're going to have, and I've never had a baby so I'm not the best person to answer your question, but I believe that compared to birthing a baby, a vaginal hyst might be about the same in terms of recovery. I see from your profile you've had four babies, so a vaginal hyst may not seem that rough for you. I hope some members with similar experiences will be along soon to share.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:37 AM

I've had 2 babies..one c-section and one "natural". ( My boyfriend has 2 children that we raise togetehr as well) I'm hoping recovery is not too bad...Thank you so much for the fast reply ! Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 02:06 AM

I had LAVH, so I guess recovery times are similar. I felt good right from the word go really. Little or no pain, it was mostly from other related issues like gas and constipation (try hard to avoid that). I only took pain medication for the first day or so. In fact one of the hardest things has been to take it easy because although i felt so tired, I also felt up to doing things that I clearly shouldn't (and so didn't) do. I went ahead with a mid Nov date because i wanted to feel well enough to go on a holiday already booked for New Year- i travelled at 6 weeks to the day. I was fine for the trip but wore my most comfortable clothes!! Bit of swelling still then.
Unread 01-28-2006, 03:56 AM

I just had my TVH on Thursday, came home yesterday at 2pm, feels like I had another baby in a way, how I mean is- I'm swore down there but not in the kind of pain that sent me on this journey, you know what I mean. I have a few suggestions besides the ones offered here, take a back scratcher for the itching and use wipes instead of toielt paper, remember what it felt like after having your children when you wiped, that's how I feel now. I had my bladder repaired also, that might make the difference. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-28-2006, 04:37 AM

I had a TVH and must say that for me, the recovery was not bad at all. In fact, my foot surgery the following month resulted in a much longer & more difficult recovery! I think I felt worse after having a baby than I did after the TVH. I had the surgery on a Tuesday & left the hospital on Thursday. I was up & about walking the halls in the hospital the day after. The worst part was the day of and morning after....and that wasn't even too bad. Let me add that of course, everyone is different and everyone heals at different rates. I actually was discharged from the hospital the same day I delivered my 3rd son. He was being transferred to Children's Hospital, so I was discharged 8 hours after giving birth! I wish I had that same stamina now!
Anyways, I am thankful that my recovery from the TVH was not a difficult one. Now, if you want to talk balance of hormones.......I'M STILL STRUGGLING!!!!
Best of luck to you.....I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 01-28-2006, 07:06 AM

OKSweety..... well I am on my 2nd day post od, the kept me 3 days at the castle. I do commend these other gals for healing up fabulous and feeling perky, I did great at the hospital (pain shots and pills were great) But first day home I wanted to get a full general anesthesia (sp?) Maybe I did too much at the hosp. even nurses were all like "wow, you're doing great". Yesterday (*Friday) did much better, I live alone so I showered, sat indian style and lounged alot. It's remarkable that some can come home virtually pain free and I look at the clock anticipating my next pain pill. I swear I am no baby, this is my 3rd surgery, had natural childbirth meaning no drugs whatsoever muchless an epidural, So I am pretty tough. I hope you are like a lot of these dear sisters that come home pain free (I'm jealous.. haha) but overall I have many blessings, can sit up on my own, bend down etc and feeling pretty darn good actually but there is still PAIN so just be ready for anything hun and I send you God's blessings, stay in touch, would like to hear from you!
Kandi
Unread 01-28-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi, I had my TVH Tuesday and I feel really good. Of course, I felt hideous prior to having surgery. My stomach ocassionally has a feeling of slight bruising, but generally it doesn't hurt at all. I had 3 babies vaginally and always had an easy time with that as well. I will say that I think the TVH was probably a little easier. One thing I notice is that I do tire pretty easily and am usually pooped by about 8-9 in the evening. Other than that, I feel great!
Unread 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomasweety
I am 32 and have my surgey scheduled for Feb. 6th. I'm only having my uterus taken out vaginaly. What's the healing time for this? I know the hospital stay is 2 days. Is there much pain afterwards? And how does it compare to having a baby in terms of post-op?
Hi. I had a tvh too. Was in and out of the hospital in 25 hours. Had pain, but meds took care of it. Only for about one week. Healed by four weeks, and cleared for everything by doc (including intercourse). Back to work full time in 6 weeks. (city bus driver). Absolutley NO cramping going on or anything like that at all. This was nothing like when I had my kids. My vaginal area was not sore at all with this, unlike childbirth. I coudn't even tell I had anything done really, other than the pain at first and bleeding for about one week. Spotted though for more than 6 weeks. That was a big pain! MY only regret is not having it done sooner! Good luck!
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:12 PM

No "swelly-belly" either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register